U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM

165 posts, read 143,808 times
Default Moving from New Jersey

Hello to everyone in the Cape Coral/Ft Myers area. My husband and I will be "early" retiring to the Cape Coral area within the next 3 months. Kinda doing it faster than we thought as he had a massive heart attack in April and can't return to work as a Pipefitter her in beautiful bum**** NJ. I see alot of people have pros and cons on the area but guess what... it's like that in every state. I'm a South Jersey girl born and raised and anything above Trenton NJ to me is another state. I have some of the highest taxes on property here and get nothing for the money. The reason for this question is my husband and I are having a problem settling on an area. I personally like the NW area he likes the NE area. Can someone please give me some insight on both of these areas. We will be down 9/13-9/21 to meet with the realtor and look at the houses that we like. Hope to hear from someone soon. Personally I can't wait to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:39 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,915,039 times
We are South Jersey people (me: Cherry Hill/ Wife: Williamstown). We originally looked in the Ft. Myers area but ended up buying a condo in North Naples and we are glad we did. I will PM you our realtors information. She was (and continues to be) very helpful!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:34 PM

458 posts, read 800,738 times
Please read through the past posts on Cape Coral and surrounding areas. Before all the people get mad again, that we keep repeating our thought's. Now I realize why YOU people think WE keep talking bad about certain area's. The newbies keep asking for the same info over and over and over again, and we gladly pass on our info, over and over and over. Sorry
Please read, read, read these past forums, then come down and find a reputable realtor who isn't eager to sell you anything to make their commission. Then RENT, RENT RENT for at least 6 months to a year to be sure you like the area. Maybe do a lease purchase. There is an over abundant # of homes for rent down here. Isn't the NW area more vacant, which may mean more crime, vacant home utility thefts?

ask questions like: Does this house have Chinese drywall. What flood zone is it in? What hurricane storm surge zone is it in? How old is the roof? How old is the house? Are storm shutters included? How's the crime in the area? Where is the nearest police station, fire dept, hospital????? Most of these thing will affect the cost of your homeowners insurance here.

Depending on the age of the house due to the changes of hurricane building codes, your realtor may, but an insurance agent will tell you the years to try and stay above for the best rates. You know what, call your realtor before you get here and ask them to find out for you before you come down. That's what their paid for, to assist and serve you and all your needs.
Hip roofs get discounts due to the fact of less mass for the wind to get under and lift up. Newer construction has more strapping and better nailing patterns to secure the pieces together better.

Last edited by tjstrain; 08-18-2010 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,588,912 times
Sorry about the heart attack. I worked in the trades too. The conditions we endured could give anyone a heart attack.
I think you will love Cape Coral. NE and NW areas give you more house for the money than SE and SW. But the north is too remote for me. Most of the shopping and restaurants are in the SE and in Fort Myers right over the bridges. Make note if there are trees in the area. Some areas look a barren. Definitely think about renting first unless you are very familiar with the area.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 11,493 times
Congratulations on your escape from NJ. I lived in Suburban Philly and often worked in NJ and I think you'll love it down here. Like others have suggested you really should rent down here for a couple of months before buying so you can decide exactly where you want to live and what type of house you want. Homes built after 2006 meet the latest building codes and your insurance will be cheaper than an older home. I moved to the NW Cape 3 years ago and never looked back. Good Luck

BTW, You're gonna be surprised at how many NJ transplants live down here - They're everywhere!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:10 PM

21,596 posts, read 29,637,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beradon View Post
Congratulations on your escape from NJ. I lived in Suburban Philly and often worked in NJ and I think you'll love it down here. Like others have suggested you really should rent down here for a couple of months before buying so you can decide exactly where you want to live and what type of house you want. Homes built after 2006 meet the latest building codes and your insurance will be cheaper than an older home. I moved to the NW Cape 3 years ago and never looked back. Good Luck

BTW, You're gonna be surprised at how many NJ transplants live down here - They're everywhere!
Maybe that's why everyone is so darn nice down there, now. When I lived there it was so rare to find anyone from the northeast. When I did find someone, I would practically hug them and they would do the same. That would explain a lot of things.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 PM

Ok I have a realtor that I have been working with for the past 6 months. He is very knowledgeable about what I want. I have contacted the insurance company as to codes are most important for keeping the price of insurance down. I know about the chinese drywall issue and will have home inspected by reputable company. I have checked the distance for hospitals, firehouses, and etc. I've done checks on the top cardiologist in the area to make sure that he can take over from our doctor when we move down. Looking at 4-8 year old homes that are in foreclosure. I don't have children at home but I did do the pediophile look up just to be safe as we have 2 grandchildren who will visit us. We have a Harley so I'm hoping that where I pick the neighbors don't mind the bike. My husband just wants to relax,retire,and settle down which is one thing he can't do here in NJ. Rent is not an option for us he won't even concider it. We also have 2 German Shepherds that will also be making the move (as long as i can tranquilize them for on the way down lol) either that or you'll findem on the side of the road in Maryland. But any way thank you for the warm welcome to this neat little site and by the way tmozer my husband is from cherry hill and i'm a marlton girl but we sold the house in. Cherry Hill in 2004 $$$$ and kicked the kids out bought a smaller house new construction in Pine Hill and now we are on our way to sunny Florida to live life a little slower. He has earned it 33years union pipefitter local 322 in winslow nj i want him to enjoy the rest of his life. Hope to run into everyone on here again soon. Thank you again for the help and insight

Old 08-18-2010, 07:58 PM

Go e-a-g-l-e-s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 AM

144 posts, read 185,333 times
Sounds like you've done your homework. Welcome.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 AM

319 posts, read 658,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygirl07 View Post
Go e-a-g-l-e-s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good posting!

I moved here from Vineland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area