Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 PM

515 posts, read 1,582,283 times

Advertisements

I prefer to stay with the larger banks, more stabile and secure, plus when were traveling we can usually find branches in other states. Make sure their FDIC insured, and your not above the FDIC limits per each account. A close friend is in the banking business and said that there's a lot more smaller banks who are just hovering at the line where the GOV. goes in and shuts them down. Be Careful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 04:53 PM

10 posts, read 38,895 times
Thank you to all of you that responded to my question. All have good suggestions. As I have funds in different banks when I presently live, I will probably do the same in CC. Thanks again, Cape Coral Citizens of City-Data.com are a friendly and helpful group.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:20 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
I prefer to stay with the larger banks, more stabile and secure, plus when were traveling we can usually find branches in other states. Make sure their FDIC insured, and your not above the FDIC limits per each account. A close friend is in the banking business and said that there's a lot more smaller banks who are just hovering at the line where the GOV. goes in and shuts them down. Be Careful!
I know the OP already responded to comments, but I want to answer your post. I hope Holiday Road doesn't mind. This comment isn't directed at you, tjstrain, since you posted good advice. It's just that so many people panic when they hear about all the banks closing.

Although nobody wants to get a mortgage from or deposit money in a bank that is in trouble, I've done business with a few local banks that were seized by FDIC and not much happened, at least on my end. FDIC issues a cease & desist order and by Monday it's business as usual. Last year I used to check the [URL="http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/banklist.html"]FDIC failed bank list [/URL]every Friday to see if my bank was added since so many FL banks are underfunded. When it failed I didn't lose a penny. The FDIC limit is $250,000 for an individual account, $500,000 for a joint account. Those limits cover about 98% of Americans. That amount can also be increased substantially by naming qualified beneficiaries. If you bank with a [URL="http://www.cdars.com/"]CDARS [/URL]member, you can insure millions using one bank.

Regarding the high number of bank failures, in the late 1980s when Reagan and Bush were in office, about 750 banks failed. During the S&L scandal, billions were lost in uninsured deposits. In 1989 alone, 534 banks were closed. The 2 largest bank failures in the past few years were IndyMac and Washington Mutual, both in 2008. Not that any bank failure is good news, but so far in 2010 about 100 banks have failed - a far cry from 534.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area