Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:05 AM

88 posts, read 336,001 times

Advertisements

Usually this is a sign of a great family oriented neighborhood Living in SW florida it's so hard to find a neighborhood that is safe but still friendly with lots of families without the houses being far apart. Also looking for a non-gated community. Any suggestions? Hoping such a thing exists because my DH and I want to stay near my parents if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 05:27 PM

guess this really does not exist?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
I know that Three Oaks near Estero used to be a good trick or treating area.

...but that is when I lived there, 6+ years ago, so I'm not sure if it still is.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 AM

79 posts, read 289,942 times
Safe? Family oriented neighborhoods in SWFL do not exist!!!!!!

The closest you will come is snowbird gated communities that majority dont want trick or treaters...

BELLA TERRA IN ESTERO is your best shot!!!
Coconut Point and Miramar Outlets have trick or treating..
but to find the old fashioned trick or treating environments...
We are all in the wrong state for that one..

Old 08-23-2010, 12:57 PM

515 posts, read 1,589,792 times
We live in Three oaks. Every year at Halloween it is like disney world here on our streets. Some of the neighbors close off their streets to cars with wooden horses to protect the people from traffic. We get anywhere from 500 to 600 people going door to door looking for treats. I know that # because one of our neighbors buys 500 candy bars and runs out every year. I'm sorry to say that in the past few years my wife and I and others make reservations at a local restaurant to avoid the crowds. It use to be fun when the "neighborhood" kids would get dressed up and make their way around and actually say when they get to your door "TRICK OR TREAT" and then "THANK YOU", but now a days they ring the bell, stand there in street clothes, stick out their pillow cases while holding a conversation with each other and then after you drop in a treat, they run away without saying anything. The dumbing down of our kids. That's the majority, but there are still a few polite and creative kids that do visit. So we get out of dodge for an enjoyable evening. We get truck loads of kids with their parents from Bonita Springs and other surrounding areas miles away. Our neighborhood pool parking lot and grass areas gets packed all night with vehicles from out of the area candy seekers. We do not have a spanish population living in our area but on halloween probably half of the people walking around are of spanish decent along with caucasian families from elsewhere. We get trucks with beds full of kids being delivered to our doorsteps, there have been lawn tractors, atv's etc. pulling trailers packed with more kids going around the streets from other communities a few miles away. Their parents are waiting in the streets drinking their beers as the kids get the snacks. I guess they all figure since were in the nicer areas they'll get better candy here??????
What ever happened to walking around your own streets and seeing your neighbors, letting them guess who you were?????

Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
We live in Three oaks. Every year at Halloween it is like disney world here on our streets. Some of the neighbors close off their streets to cars with wooden horses to protect the people from traffic. We get anywhere from 500 to 600 people going door to door looking for treats. I know that # because one of our neighbors buys 500 candy bars and runs out every year. I'm sorry to say that in the past few years my wife and I and others make reservations at a local restaurant to avoid the crowds. It use to be fun when the "neighborhood" kids would get dressed up and make their way around and actually say when they get to your door "TRICK OR TREAT" and then "THANK YOU", but now a days they ring the bell, stand there in street clothes, stick out their pillow cases while holding a conversation with each other and then after you drop in a treat, they run away without saying anything. The dumbing down of our kids. That's the majority, but there are still a few polite and creative kids that do visit. So we get out of dodge for an enjoyable evening. We get truck loads of kids with their parents from Bonita Springs and other surrounding areas miles away. Our neighborhood pool parking lot and grass areas gets packed all night with vehicles from out of the area candy seekers. We do not have a spanish population living in our area but on halloween probably half of the people walking around are of spanish decent along with caucasian families from elsewhere. We get trucks with beds full of kids being delivered to our doorsteps, there have been lawn tractors, atv's etc. pulling trailers packed with more kids going around the streets from other communities a few miles away. Their parents are waiting in the streets drinking their beers as the kids get the snacks. I guess they all figure since were in the nicer areas they'll get better candy here??????
What ever happened to walking around your own streets and seeing your neighbors, letting them guess who you were?????
Wow that's sad.I hear you on the not even bothering to dress up and holding out pillow cases or worse yet, plastic shopping bags. We currently live in Lehigh and it's bad like that too though we don't get any outsiders because who the heck wants to come to lehigh to trick-or-treat! LOL We want to get out of here but we're trying to think really carefully about where to go next. trying not to make the same mistake twice! I grew up in Southern California and used to spend Halloween in my aunt's neighborhood where there were tons of other kids and we ALL dressed up. It was so much fun!!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
We used to have a Halloween Parade for the kids in our shopping district up north. The store owners gave out treats and the Chamber of Commerce gave out goody bags. It was good advertising and good will for the town and the kids had a ball.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:36 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Pelican Blvd in Cape Coral. I take my daughter there every year. Tons of houses, lot's of people go there, and it is safe...

Old 08-23-2010, 02:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
So yes, Three Oaks fits the bill, but the houses are not far apart. Your not going to find that kind of neighborhood in swFlorida.

TJ, it says a boat load that people are coming from all over to go to Three Oaks. We use to go there, too, but we lived on Pineapple so it was our neighborhood.

It's not even that big of a neighborhood. SwFlorida is just not a family-orientated area.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:02 PM

515 posts, read 1,589,792 times
Maybe this year the crowds will go to all the new townhouse neighborhoods up and down Three Oaks parkway since there's another doorway every 20 feet. Their just gonna have to jump the gates to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area