Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM

31 posts, read 71,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cviz View Post
Hi All,

I've read some old postings on the subject, but I am looking for the latest info. I'm purchasing a home in the SW section of Cape Coral and am trying to decided who I should used use for Internet, Phone and TV service.

The home has an Alarm System that will need to be monitored so this is a contributing factor. It appears that the only choices are CenturyLink and Comcast. I was hoping Verizon FIOS would be an option, but it's not available in SWFL.

CenturyLink appear to be slightly cheaper then Comcast for Internet and Phone. I know Comcast has the triple-play bundles, but the price increases after the 6 month trial are ridiculous. My TVs are all HD so HD programing is a priority as well. I was thinking of using CenturyLink for Internet & Phone and Comcast for TV.

Does anyone have CenturyLink? What are your impressions? Should they be avoided at all costs? Any issues with Comcast?

I'm an IT Professional so I know my way around technology.

Thanks in advance.
Use a wireless alarm cell transmitter, like uplink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,174 times
Believe it or not, I have something positive to say about Comcast! My recent bill had a charge on it for an additional station I did not order. I did an online chat with Comcast and asked what it was, and how to get it removed. Believe it or not, it had been on my bill for 3 months (a big Duh on my part!) and they agreed to remove it.

The entire experience was relatively painless. They said it would be reflected on my next bill, but to be sure I just deducted it from this months payment. We will see if indeed they remove it... but so far so good.

Make sure you check your bills....

Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM

130 posts, read 277,825 times
So what do snowbirds do? They are here for a few months, then leave. Do they just pay connect/disconnect charges? Is there one option that is cheaper for htat?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
So what do snowbirds do? They are here for a few months, then leave. Do they just pay connect/disconnect charges? Is there one option that is cheaper for htat?

There is a vacation option with Comcast - you call in and they put your account on hold for up to 6 months. I pay a minimum fee per month (I think $5) for this 6 month period. No disconnect charges - just a phone call to reactivate.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:51 PM

28 posts, read 49,453 times
This partial snowbird would not recommend Comast. Have had a terrible one year experience. First could not get installers to set time to come, eventhough we were flexible. Finally got installation and installer was very nice. Good service/signal in house. Left to come back north, left it on at $29.99 a month, price given at installation. Signed up for email billing. That was Feb 2013 and just received our first online bill Jan 2014. Every month I had to contact them for bill and it was always more than the $29.99. My email address was correct..........but they never entered me in online billing. Last bill I got two days ago, $197.00. Bill had gone up to $69.00 a month, as I was told promo was over (it is not on contract that it was a promo) and was not advertised as promo. We now have a $5.00 a month equipment fee that we never had before and numerous late fees added EVERY month. We were in FL in 2013 from Feb 01 to March 30, 2013. We were told we could not put it on "vacation" mode until Feb 2014 as we had to have service one year before doing so. Headed to FL in a week and will be having it disconnected as soon as I can find another carrier, as DH and I both work in the home while we are in FL. Comcast has been a big rip-off for us.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:36 AM

191 posts, read 299,642 times

Have had CenturyLink (TV and broadband) for nearly 6 months now and no complaints. Both techs (cable maintenance and installer) were very friendly, knowledgeable, and went overboard to explain what they were doing. Interestingly, neither of them tried to BS me about any aspect of the job (unknown to them I used to work for Verizon). The service and cost has been everything CenturyLink claimed it would be.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:24 AM

176 posts, read 439,256 times
I've had Century Link for several years now. Overall, I happy with them. However, their wireless modems and Internet speeds are are not up to par with cable. Don't get me wrong they're okay, just not great. You can get pay for higher upload/download speeds. Like anything else keep an eye on your bills. When the promotional period ends, the price goes up significantly. You have to call them to negotiate a price, everything is negotiable. The IPTV service known as Prism is very good. Lot's of channels and the multi-room DVR is a plus as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 PM

31 posts, read 92,711 times
Omigawd, a chance to unload my frustrations with comcast!

The absolute worst, arrogant, I'll stop there before it get distasteful.

In short, I have an email from them stating what our monthly cost is. Not once in six months have we been charged that amount. Call them, get shifted around and wind up with a busy signal. Tried to explain to the collections call demand that we have already exceeded the billing amount for the accumulated period. They know nothing about that, either pay more or get disconnected. DVR's are under capicity and will freeze up.

Run away, slit your wrists before you dial them, its all lies

Old 04-17-2014, 01:11 PM

191 posts, read 299,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Flier View Post
Omigawd, a chance to unload my frustrations with comcast!

The absolute worst, arrogant, I'll stop there before it get distasteful.

In short, I have an email from them stating what our monthly cost is. Not once in six months have we been charged that amount. Call them, get shifted around and wind up with a busy signal. Tried to explain to the collections call demand that we have already exceeded the billing amount for the accumulated period. They know nothing about that, either pay more or get disconnected. DVR's are under capicity and will freeze up.

Run away, slit your wrists before you dial them, its all lies

We have Comcast or CenturyLink available here. Most everyone has a squawk about Comcast. Seems like everybody uses CenturyLink. It is very rare to see a Comcast van driving around. All you see are CenutryLink vehicles. Me ? I've got CenturyLink for TV and Broadband. No complaints.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,377 times
I will never have Comcast again. their service is not that bad. but as other people have said once you get through the introductory rates, the normal rates are ridiculously high!!! for instance a double play package that I have internet and basic cable cost me close to $150 a month. no phone no premium channels no movie channels. that is completely ridiculously high! and you have to pay for insurance or service calls if you want anything repaired other than replace the box. I am giving CenturyLink a try will post later about it.but if you're a working stiff such as myself and watch you money, then Dish Network is probably your best bet. but remember it storms and rains a lot in Southwest Florida. also satellite is not an option for me I live in a condo hope this helps. anyone with further advice for me please email me at [email]msbrownie69@yahoo.com[/email] thanx Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area