Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
So what? Do you shower with a gun? Sleep with a gun at your side? Play with your children wearing a loaded gun? Many home invasions have been in households with guns. According to National Geographic, there's a greater chance you will be killed if you own a gun and there's a struggle during a home invasion.

By the way, I see nothing wrong with owning guns and keeping them safely locked in your home. We all have that right. Just posting statistics.
Sorry,Nancy,but your statistics are wrong.......thousands of crimes are prevented by legal gun owners.Left wind media will never report it. Just to let you know....my guns are not "safely locked away'....they are loaded and ready to protect my family if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
So what? Do you shower with a gun? Sleep with a gun at your side? Play with your children wearing a loaded gun? Many home invasions have been in households with guns. According to National Geographic, there's a greater chance you will be killed if you own a gun and there's a struggle during a home invasion.

By the way, I see nothing wrong with owning guns and keeping them safely locked in your home. We all have that right. Just posting statistics.
Of course having a gun will not stop all intruders. If you have a struggle against an intruder, and you have a gun, then you are not using it properly. The idea is to shoot before they get close enough to have a struggle. And yes I sleep with it by my side, ready for use, God forbid it is needed.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 AM

91 posts, read 222,600 times
Gun ownership is not a deterrent to criminals as few are smart enough to think that far ahead. Homeowners also rarely effectively use guns to defend themselves. Doesn't mean you shouldn't own them, doesn't mean it cannot save your life one day but bringing one in the home comes with risks and only a fool doesn't know that.

That said, I do own a gun but I firmly believe it doesn't improve the crime rate around me.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
Gun ownership is not a deterrent to criminals as few are smart enough to think that far ahead. Homeowners also rarely effectively use guns to defend themselves. Doesn't mean you shouldn't own them, doesn't mean it cannot save your life one day but bringing one in the home comes with risks and only a fool doesn't know that.

That said, I do own a gun but I firmly believe it doesn't improve the crime rate around me.
Do you think there is less road rage in a state that allows easier gun ownership?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:11 PM

60 posts, read 141,937 times
I worked in a small town police dept in NH. I was entreated to get a gun and several of the police officers averred that the reason I was safe in my low crime rate town was that virtually everyone in town answers the door after dark with gun in hand. That is simply because the houses are very far apart, most roads dead end, and there is no reason for anyone to 'come around' at night. No one has been shot yet by a misguided householder, but would be home invaders have been held at gun point for the police.

I don't think North Ft Myers is particularly unsafe or Cape Coral. Palm Beach Blvd in Ft Myers after dark is something else again. I have found driving in North Ft Myers and Cape Coral to be pretty good even in comparison to NH. Always a few who are a menace, but heck, I need something to keep me sharp. I'd been warned that the "native Floridians" were terrible, rude etc. Boy, was that a load. I've never met a nicer, more helpful bunch of people. Would I expect that everyone is like that? Heck no, but folks who are badmouthing the area really need to get out more and take a look around other areas.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:10 PM

219 posts, read 377,370 times
Katsinthekitchen..I recently read somewhere that "one person's paradise,is another person's hometown hell.." The reality is.There are "s$:t bums" and decent people in every town...good and bad areas in every town, etc. I've lived in different parts of Florida off and on since 1988...natives are very cordial...some transplants are not!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Anyone who thinks this is "Hell on Earth" should move to Zimbabwe for a few months. Life expectancy is around 35. Last week my neighbor celebrated his 98th birthday.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:53 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
What beautiful beaches? Ft Myers beach is filthy! stinks and the water is always dirty! and its a total pain in the ass to get to . Sit for 1 hour in traffic to get this dirty little beach! ich
I agree. It's the worst beach I've ever been to. Well, Bunche Beach is worst but no one is touting it as a fabulous beach. Head further south and Bonita is better or stick with Sanibel, Captiva or Naples. I've been to many beaches in my lifetime and I have no idea what the attraction is with this beach. Even crappy beaches like Old Orchard in Maine or Myrtle in SC have more going for it. At least the water is cleaner.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 PM

198 posts, read 482,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Even crappy beaches like Old Orchard in Maine or Myrtle in SC have more going for it. At least the water is cleaner.
Thanks for not including Wells Beach in Maine Hik.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I agree. It's the worst beach I've ever been to. Well, Bunche Beach is worst but no one is touting it as a fabulous beach. Head further south and Bonita is better or stick with Sanibel, Captiva or Naples. I've been to many beaches in my lifetime and I have no idea what the attraction is with this beach. Even crappy beaches like Old Orchard in Maine or Myrtle in SC have more going for it. At least the water is cleaner.
I totally, totally disagree with you.

We rented a condo near the south end of Fort Myers Beach for two weeks in November and for another two weeks in April, and we found the beach to be absolutely beautiful. LOTS of wildlife, clear water, and gentle surf great for wading. We spend hours just walking along the beach looking at the wildlife.

We went to Bunche Beach twice and loved it. It looks just like it did 50 years ago. We were there at low tide so we could walk way out on the sand bar and find lots of little creatures. I caught a male fiddler crab and a Mangrove crab.

We thought the beaches on Sanibel (Bowman's and Lighthouse) were really crummy. No wildlife besides a few sandpipers and the sand seemed dirty. Ugh!

Delnor Wiggins and Lovers Key were OK, but not as nice as the south end of FMB.

As we were leaving, we stopped at Times Square so my wife could buy some souvenirs for our grandkids. I walked over to Lynn Hall Park and just looked at the beach and thought how beautiful it was. We definitely plan to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area