Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 AM

681 posts, read 884,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

after all the "recession" has been over for fifteen months

YC.......
And a company is on a hiring binge...McDonnalds !!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
The reason many people don't notice the homeless is because they become invisible after a while. Also, keep in mind that if you live in a residential area, it's not very likely you'll see anyone walking around who doesn't belong there. Homeless people are usually found in more populated areas closer to a city. I mean, someone without transportation can't drive 20 minutes on Del Prado or Pine Island Road to get to your neighborhood. Homeless doesn't necessarily mean the family is sitting on a sidewalk either. Maybe they're sleeping on a relative's couch or in a friend's garage. As [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/07/26/2010-07-26_heartbreak_of_homeless_kids.html"]this article [/URL]points out:

"When you go to Walmart, McDonald's or Disneyland, a lot of those people don't make enough money to put a roof over their head. Homeless isn't what you thought it would be. Homeless is changing. It's not the drug-addicted, mentally challenged hobo asking for change. It's a 6-year-old girl living in a hotel."

Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Yes! You wouldn't know most people are homeless. They don't fit the stereotype so people think they are like everyone else. Actually, they are, except they have nowhere to live. How many times have I said "The lady that just walked by you may be homeless." Most people don't want to hear that. It makes their arguments for being selfish not hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The reason many people don't notice the homeless is because they become invisible after a while. Also, keep in mind that if you live in a residential area, it's not very likely you'll see anyone walking around who doesn't belong there. Homeless people are usually found in more populated areas closer to a city. I mean, someone without transportation can't drive 20 minutes on Del Prado or Pine Island Road to get to your neighborhood. Homeless doesn't necessarily mean the family is sitting on a sidewalk either. Maybe they're sleeping on a relative's couch or in a friend's garage. As this article points out:

"When you go to Walmart, McDonald's or Disneyland, a lot of those people don't make enough money to put a roof over their head. Homeless isn't what you thought it would be. Homeless is changing. It's not the drug-addicted, mentally challenged hobo asking for change. It's a 6-year-old girl living in a hotel."

Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
YC: any insights to share regarding demand for yacht maintenence or boating generally, heading into this season?

up, down, flat?
What, exactly, do yachts - or boats - have to do with the homeless?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What, exactly, do yachts - or boats - have to do with the homeless?

well

The first thing to go is the boat, or the RV, people will dump those; then the next thing is the car, the last thing is the house

Link: just copy and google what I have highlighted in red. You'll land on where the statement is from!!

Last edited by yoko; 09-21-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 PM

I know, but I think there might have been more of a concern about further depreciation on property and the current local economic barometer rather than empathy for fellow humans. The list should read: Vacation property, boat or RV, car, then home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
well

The first thing to go is the boat, or the RV, people will dump those; then the next thing is the car, the last thing is the house

Link: just copy and google what I have highlighted in red. You'll land on where the statement is from!!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

I know, but I think there might have been more of a concern about further depreciation on property and the current local economic barometer rather than empathy for fellow humans.

The list should read: Vacation property, boat or RV, car, then home.

Just google McDonalds hiring Cape Coral and you get a perfect clear picture of how bad Cape Coral's economy is !!

Last edited by yoko; 09-22-2010 at 01:43 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 07:37 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
Please stick to the topic, which is "the homeless".

Old 09-22-2010, 05:52 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
I've had a few people come up to me for money in Fort Myers in the parking lots of the shopping malls. They have liquor on their breath. I give them a few dollars because I think they are going to just drink it up. Everyone has a story.

I know I am very careful with the moves I make financially. I am always thinking I don't want to be a burden on anyone. LIfe is a chess game at times.

Wanting too much can get anyone in trouble if they can't sustain it. Many young families have more vunerablity than the financially established . I only wish many of the poor would get their head straight on their head and stop the drinking and drugging.

There are some who never get a break in life. They do just about everything right and still wind up financially strapped. I feel for them. They are the ones who need the help the most.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

They have liquor on their breath. I give them a few dollars because I think they are going to just drink it up. Everyone has a story.

I only wish many of the poor would get their head straight on their head and stop the drinking and drugging.

Come on!

Homeless children smell like alcohol too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area