Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

I agree. Without a price point it is impossible to give much advice. I responded, however, because they said they wanted to be 10 to 15 minutes from the beach and I was afraid they were being led down the garden path, once again, by folks that, for whatever reason, feel compelled to push their community.

Based on the poster asking about Cape Coral, Estero or Bonita, I recommended Bonita. They did not ask about Naples so I didn't even consider it.

Great post. The rep gods will not allow me to rep you, though. Darn rep gods.

And kev, I can't agree enough. Condos and villas are a fabulous choice when you only use the place for four weeks a year but it can rapidly become extremely expensive or a nightmare in many situations. SwFlorida has seen, in many cases, selling prices come down but fees go up due to less people paying into the system. Renting, at least at first, is probably the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
As I wrote on the Sarasota forum in response to the same inquiry, without knowing what the OP wants to spend, it's impossible to make suggestions.

I agree that Bonita Springs is ideal. So is North Naples. Sarasota is also a good place to live, since there are many activities for children should the weather be uncooperative. It's all so relative. I lived walking distance to the beach, less than 2 miles from route 41 and about 4 from I-75. However, even a dumpy, old house was over $200,000. So a family has to choose its priorities. I love Olde Naples, but what does $500,000 buy compared to a beautiful house in Estero for half?

Again, affordability is key when shopping for property. I mentioned on the other forum that renting for a few weeks a year for $3,000 (which will get you a very nice home for a month) makes more sense to me but, as always, someone disagreed. I just can't see spending money on property taxes, insurance, lawn care, maintenance and utilities for 3 to 4 weeks a year. Houses are still dropping in price and another 3 million foreclosures were supposed to hit the U.S. market soon, but there's been a halt by the banks.

If price isn't an issue, I'd pick Southport Cove in Collier County at Barefoot Beach. Homes currently range from $1.2 to $3.7 million. You'll have everything you need - shopping, restaurants, boating, a beautiful beach across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,282,813 times
while you need to be very very skeptical regarding anything the real estate agent or builder's rep is telling you (or more likely, not telling you), you need to be especially skeptical about claims regarding rental programs, and for sure need to talk to existing owners to get the real story about how it actually works, or not, ...attend an HOA & CDD (community development district/if applicable) meeting to hear all the dirty laundry.

I am starting to hear stories of younger Canadians buying condos in Orlando and successfully using rental programs to cover most of their expenses, and then using the condo for vacations and long weekends instead of the previous generations practise of owning a northern "lake cottage". I would be very leery of relying on any rental program that is not tightly controlled by the elected HOA board.

Pay close attention to the financial condition of golf courses linked to the HOA.

Read (or watch the movie) John D. MacDonald's "Condominium"

Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I agree. Without a price point it is impossible to give much advice. I responded, however, because they said they wanted to be 10 to 15 minutes from the beach and I was afraid they were being led down the garden path, once again, by folks that, for whatever reason, feel compelled to push their community.
you yourself say you like Paseo ...what's the harm in supporting your nieghbourhood if it is represented accurately?

I will concede that google maps shows a travel time of 35 minutes rather than the 20 minutes I quoted, but that was not an intentional misrepresentation. I was speaking on how long it seems to take, which is a pleasant short drive. Sanibel is a bigger deal I find, but we like to take an afternoon and go up to the end of the SanCap highway anyways as a way to fill an afternoon and get that Caribbean feeling.

I suspect the 35 minutes is based on posted speed limits which traffic flow ignores, but I doubt it actually takes that long, and I will test this when I am down there in a couple of weeks to ensure accurate future reporting!

Traffic never seems to be a problem as we are there vacationing and a trip to the beach would never get going until after rush hour, and we are usually back at the pool before afternoon rush hour.

For stimulation junkies like us, we chose SWF over the Caribbean because there is ALWAYS something to do within an hour's drive for that few hours between brunch and afternoon drinks.

Everyone learns to not try to cross the beach bridge after lunch on a Sunday in season. You actually have to sit there and wait for a car to leave, for the line to move forward a few feet. Better at that time to take the 75 and head to Barefoot or cross to the islands.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
For what it is worth I timed from cape coral tolls to sanibel tolls at 17 mins so how far from the tolls someone lives, which could be a huge difference between nw cape vs se cape. Also there is more than one beach, fishing off the causeway is a lot closer than bowman beach. From the northwest cape coral to bowman beach takes me 45 mins to the end of captiva about 1 hr and I think it's about an hour from my house to siesta key in sarasota

Next week I will try to time by boat

Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 PM

isn't it amazing though the difference in atmosphere for a one hour investment in driving...and not an unpleasant drive. The causeway bridge is a highlight.

we always have a good chuckle driving by those new 20000? sq ft mansions on Captiva.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 PM

376 posts, read 910,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
For what it is worth I timed from cape coral tolls to sanibel tolls at 17 mins so how far from the tolls someone lives, which could be a huge difference between nw cape vs se cape. Also there is more than one beach, fishing off the causeway is a lot closer than bowman beach. From the northwest cape coral to bowman beach takes me 45 mins to the end of captiva about 1 hr and I think it's about an hour from my house to siesta key in sarasota

Excellent point, nhkev ~ I live on Sanibel & am sometimes reluctant to drive to Blind Pass because of the 20 minute drive. I live west of the 4 way and always follow the speed limit because that's the right thing to do. So your time frame is very much spot on. In season, we all rarely drive and tend to bike everywhere on island.

BTW redfish are plentiful @ Blind Pass right now!!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:41 PM

376 posts, read 910,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
you yourself say you like Paseo ...what's the harm in supporting your nieghbourhood if it is represented accurately?

I will concede that google maps shows a travel time of 35 minutes rather than the 20 minutes I quoted, but that was not an intentional misrepresentation. I was speaking on how long it seems to take, which is a pleasant short drive. Sanibel is a bigger deal I find, but we like to take an afternoon and go up to the end of the SanCap highway anyways as a way to fill an afternoon and get that Caribbean feeling.

I suspect the 35 minutes is based on posted speed limits which traffic flow ignores, but I doubt it actually takes that long, and I will test this when I am down there in a couple of weeks to ensure accurate future reporting!

Traffic never seems to be a problem as we are there vacationing and a trip to the beach would never get going until after rush hour, and we are usually back at the pool before afternoon rush hour.

For stimulation junkies like us, we chose SWF over the Caribbean because there is ALWAYS something to do within an hour's drive for that few hours between brunch and afternoon drinks.

Everyone learns to not try to cross the beach bridge after lunch on a Sunday in season. You actually have to sit there and wait for a car to leave, for the line to move forward a few feet. Better at that time to take the 75 and head to Barefoot or cross to the islands.
Family members have a home in a planned community of A&W Bulb and their drive to the causeway is 20 minutes, out of season. Catching a light right might shave a minute or two but that's about it.

In season, fughetttaboutit!!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post

You don't have to go all the way to Sarasota, or is it more direct? What about [URL="http://www.bestbeaches.org/manasotakeybeaches/"]Manasota Key[/URL] or [URL="http://www.venice-fla.com/beaches.htm"]Venice[/URL]? Honestly, I haven't been to a Gulf beach since I moved to Port Charlotte. Funny, when I lived in MA I'd have to leave early in the morning, drive over an hour, pay $15+ to park and walk with all my stuff for another 20 minutes, just to get to the beach. Then the water was too cold!

Regarding travel time to the beach, I think it depends on the day and the time. If you get up early and spend the morning sunbathing or splashing in the water, there's usually not much of a crowd. When I lived in Bonita Springs and worked in retail, I had days off in the middle of the week and rarely had trouble finding a parking space. My favorite time was in the summer after work (if I had enough energy) I'd leave at 6, drive to Barefoot Beach, change into my bathing suit, and spend a couple of hours enjoying the beauty until sunset.

Last edited by justNancy; 10-04-2010 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
I like the architecture of Paseo. It is not like the rest of endless cookie cutter Fort Myers.

I also like the concept that it seems to pull off while Disney's Celebration is more Nazi-regime (I sound like Glenn Beck. Quick, someone shoot me) and Ave Maria is more Stepford Wives with a religious bent. Paseo just touts fun which is refreshing.

But when someone asks for 10 to 15 minutes from the beach, I don't think "Paseo." As I said, I spent my first night in Fort Myers, right across from Paseo, although it didn't exist then. It is a haul to get to the beach. I don't get this endless talk about the "Daniels Corridor" either. It is a road like any other in Florida, with a few shopping plazas. As far as locations go, it is easy on and off from I-75, but other than that, I don't find it that attractive. And I don't think this is what the OP is looking for.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 AM

excellent points. I've been meaning to ask you...if you won the lottery, where would you live?

for me personally, if you have to get in a car to get to the beach, 15 minutes or 30 minutes is not much of a difference, especially if you are on vacation or retired. I would value being within walking distance of a beach, but multiply the price by 2 or 3x for the same sq footage, and then there is the insurance.

my suggestion is check out going inland for the higher evacuation levels and lower insurance, proximity to shops etc, and for second homers, focus on having a shared pool (cheaper, more social) close enough to waddle to with a drink, and hike to beaches for that experience. For us, we are usually looking for a way to kill an afternoon, so we drive down to Tiger Tail or go up to Captiva or over to Gasparilla (my fav).

Young singles here on short stays will be drawn to FM beach, and would want to be in a hotel within a few blocks of the pier.

Last edited by kroeran; 10-06-2010 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area