Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,276,856 times

Advertisements

this is our compilation to be added to the fun things sticky

if there are no other comments, I will ask Frank to load it

please try hard to remember any stories you have heard of newcomers getting into trouble!

DANGEROUS THINGS TO DO IN SWF

Feeding alligators. | As a very rough rule of thumb, driving around Fort Myers north of College Parkway without knowing what you are doing, especially after dark (McGregor is the exception and a good way to get downtown after dark.) | Driving around anywhere after dark unless you are familiar with the area and know where you are going. | If someone grabs your purse outside a liquor store, fighting with the robber. | Impolite behavior on the roadways...many are carrying (weapons) and some are not law abiding. | Walking side streets alone when in River District at night | Not being polite and docile with police. | Renting a car without liability coverage from home (smarter) or rental car company (not so smart). | Wading or swimming in lakes and rivers. | Walking off paths in brush or wild terrain. | Running into Sanibel beach surf without shuffling your feet to warn off the stingrays. | Swimming inland if caught in an undertow (swim parallel to beach, then in). | Falling between your boat and dock barnacles. | Not hydrating. | Not using sunscreen. | Using a roaming non-US-based cellphone $$$ | Moving to Florida without a job lined up. | Buying a house based on a two week tour (see section on moving down). | Being rude to server staff. | Wearing socks with shorts. | Saying "that's not how we do it up north".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM

165 posts, read 291,440 times
You are too funny lol.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,151,084 times
I just noticed this: stingrays show up at Fort Myers Beach, too. They will have signs if the water is loaded with them. It's called the stingray shuffle.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 AM

is there a seasonality to stingray risk? is clarity of water a factor?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM

9,354 posts, read 6,922,035 times
Going Kayaking with your Realtor after dusk | Leaving your air conditioner or other appliances un-guarded in North Cape/Lehigh | Washing your clothes in Cape North of PI (or other remote sections) | Trying to buy tissues with all of the underwater mortgage holders around | Setting up Firework displays on FTM Beach (poor taste) | only being able to speak English | Giving Political Speeches if you’re a public employee | Being a female employee and working for the County Manager’s office | Being a female employee and working for the FGCU Trustee's board |

Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM

165 posts, read 291,440 times
Sending your husband down ahead of you to get work done and then you do all the paperwork 1100 miles away. COCKTAIL TIME!!!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygirl07 View Post
Sending your husband down ahead of you to get work done and then you do all the paperwork 1100 miles away. COCKTAIL TIME!!!!!
I can relate. No matter what, it seems, I will end up doing the work. Reps to you!

kroeran, stingrays appear at low tide when the water is warm.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Going Kayaking with your Realtor after dusk | Leaving your air conditioner or other appliances un-guarded in North Cape/Lehigh | Washing your clothes in Cape North of PI (or other remote sections) | Trying to buy tissues with all of the underwater mortgage holders around | Setting up Firework displays on FTM Beach (poor taste) | only being able to speak English | Giving Political Speeches if you’re a public employee | Being a female employee and working for the County Manager’s office | Being a female employee and working for the FGCU Trustee's board |
ha! I assume there are stories behind these items

I assume you are just kidding, but I can see including "not locking down your AC in remote areas"

you ARE kidding about the english thing, right?...this is not S East Florida? I could see this would be an issue for people who's work puts them in direct contact with unilingual latinos. Is that comment related to finding work?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 PM

Frank: could you please append this to the Fun Things to Do Sticky...I can't edit it at this point

DANGEROUS THINGS TO DO IN SWF

Feeding alligators. | As a very rough rule of thumb, driving around Fort Myers north of College Parkway without knowing what you are doing, especially after dark (McGregor is the exception and a good way to get downtown after dark.) | Driving around anywhere after dark unless you are familiar with the area and know where you are going. | If someone grabs your purse outside a liquor store, fighting with the robber. | Impolite behavior on the roadways...many are carrying (weapons) and some are not law abiding. | Walking side streets alone when in River District at night | Not being polite and docile with police. | Renting a car without liability coverage from home (smarter) or rental car company (not so smart). | Wading or swimming in lakes and rivers. | Walking off paths in brush or wild terrain. | Swimming inland if caught in an undertow (swim parallel to beach, then in). | Not doing the stingray shuffle in Gulf Water when the tide is low and water is warm. | Falling between your boat and dock barnacles. | Not hydrating. | Not using sunscreen. | Using a roaming non-US-based cellphone $$$ | Not locking down your AC unit in remote locations. | Moving to Florida without a job lined up. | Buying a house based on a two week tour (see section on moving down). | Being rude to server staff. | Wearing socks with shorts. | Saying "that's not how we do it up north".

Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 PM

In all honesty, my mom retired from the state of CT so she encouraged me to apply for government jobs while I was in Lee County. It was a VERY big deal to be bilinigual to get those jobs. After seeing that, I didn't even bother applying. Being bilingual was required in most of those jobs.

The school system sent out their announcements in Spanish and English, too.

No, Lee County is not southeast Florida but there is a large Hispanic community. Fort Myers is 16.6 percent Hispanic, Cape Coral is 19.5 percent, Lehigh Acres is 34 percent, and Bonita Springs (called Burrito Springs by the locals) is 22 percent. And that was the population that was counted.

I make no judgement one way or the other and made some lovely Hispanic friends down there, but yes, being bilingual is often a requirement.

As an aside, Immokalee is 72 percent Hispanic. I'm not sure if that includes the pickers that are legally brought in during harvest time. I met several of those folks and they are some of the most polite people you would ever want to meet. Truly. Very humble and hard-working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area