U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 PM

23 posts, read 42,592 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a unit in Estero (Villagio @ Estero) and plan on bringing down a car to leave in Estero. I've tried to research the FL DMV website for info on exactly what I need to do to register the car in FL, but the website doesn't seem very helpful. Are there any part timers who can help me out with exactly what I need to do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 PM

927 posts, read 1,006,697 times
I just almost did this, so I can sort of help.
  • First, you need to have the car with you (my first mistake!). They need to come out and physically see the VIN number....
  • Second, you have to have the title and 3 forms of ID. If you don't own the car outright, there's a whole other process to transfer the title....
  • Third, you must have proof of FL auto insurance......
  • Fourth, there's more money involved than you would think. I'll find out exactly how much come the end of the month when, hopefully, we'll be more successful when we do the annual trek down in the aforementioned car....
  • I don't think a FL license is imperative, but ask. I got one as part of establishing residency so that wasn't a concern of mine.

Call the closest county number in Estero. I found much more accurate and reliable info through speaking to a person in Cape Coral than anything online - nothing is updated and there's about 16 different sites with misinformation. It isn't the easiest process, but just think - you'll end up with a cute orange on your car's backside!

Hope this helps a little.....

Last edited by Izmack; 10-06-2010 at 10:24 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 3 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,002,926 times
We just "talked" about this recently on this forum and the main Florida forum.

There is a $225 initial registration fee, plus the tax and the cost of the new tag. This website is extremely accurate. Florida DHSMV Dealer Licenses

In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency. Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We just "talked" about this recently on this forum and the main Florida forum.

There is a $225 initial registration fee, plus the tax and the cost of the new tag. This website is extremely accurate. Florida DHSMV Dealer Licenses

In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency. Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process.
Sorry, Hik, but that website does not present good nor very clear info, nor was the poster asking about establishing residency and what affect that may have on auto registration. For example, no where does it state that the car must be physically presented or the other requirements in any manner that makes sense. When I called the county, I was specifically told that the website was inaccurate, not updated to reflect new requirements, and that the 10 day rule does NOT apply if one is currently out of state.

Having heard it
  1. from the "horses mouth" and
  2. experienced the inaccuracies myself less than a month ago
...I would not recommend pointing any poster to that site - particularly one who indicated they'd already looked at FL DMV sites and were still (and rightly) confused - unless we want to promote ongoing frustration, which I don't think we do.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:13 AM

I'm sensing hostility and I'm not sure why. I assure you that I am simply trying to help. However, if no animosity is present, then no harm no foul!

The website is from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. If the website is incorrect they should fix it, but you mentioned that you weren't sure about fees. I knew from the previous two discussions that the initial registration fee is a new law and it is quite high, and that website provided by the state gives a good breakdown of the price.

Here are the previous discussions that also discuss price:

I'm moving to Fort myers, Florida..What things do I need to be ready for and need to know???

Fees for Vehicles Brought Into Fla.

The reason I discussed establishing residency is because even though the car is parked in Florida, has the OP actually established residency and do they actually need to register the vehicle in Florida? Of course, a discussion with one of the county clerks in Estero should be able to clear up the matter. I have always found them to be quite helpful, even when obtaining a trailer tag when moving out of the state.

Once again, no big deal either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
Sorry, Hik, but that website does not present good nor very clear info, nor was the poster asking about establishing residency and what affect that may have on auto registration. For example, no where does it state that the car must be physically presented or the other requirements in any manner that makes sense. When I called the county, I was specifically told that the website was inaccurate, not updated to reflect new requirements, and that the 10 day rule does NOT apply if one is currently out of state.

Having heard it
  1. from the "horses mouth" and
  2. experienced the inaccuracies myself less than a month ago
...I would not recommend pointing any poster to that site - particularly one who indicated they'd already looked at FL DMV sites and were still (and rightly) confused - unless we want to promote ongoing frustration, which I don't think we do.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 AM

23 posts, read 42,592 times
I figure that it will cost me about $400 to register the car. I won't be moving to FL, just registering an out of state car. So I think I need to bring the car, title, and proof of insurance in FL (I was quoted $808 from Geico for the year to insure the 2004 car at medium coverage - does this seem high compared to what you may pay for ins in FL?). Also, there doesn't seem to be any instructions on the DMV website for filling in the forms - hopefully a call to the local office will clear that up. Do I need to go to the local "DMV" or a "title and tag" office (not sure what that is, as up north we just go to the county DMV for anything related to licensing or registering).

Old 10-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp1234 View Post
I figure that it will cost me about $400 to register the car. I won't be moving to FL, just registering an out of state car. So I think I need to bring the car, title, and proof of insurance in FL (I was quoted $808 from Geico for the year to insure the 2004 car at medium coverage - does this seem high compared to what you may pay for ins in FL?). Also, there doesn't seem to be any instructions on the DMV website for filling in the forms - hopefully a call to the local office will clear that up. Do I need to go to the local "DMV" or a "title and tag" office (not sure what that is, as up north we just go to the county DMV for anything related to licensing or registering).
Looks like you got a better quote than we did for our 2001 Subaru with this coverage:

Total Annual Premium: $970.00
Bodily Injury:Info $100,000 per person
$300,000 per occurrence Property Damage:Info $50,000

I'd just take those forms, the title, the car, the insurance, plenty of ID and any questions to the local DMV office. Oh, yes, and your checkbook. It looks like you could go to 25300 Bernwood Dr. Unit 3 in Bonita Springs and they'll hook you up. It's a "tag and title" place. Good luck!

Last edited by Izmack; 10-07-2010 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Yes, Bonita Springs! Why did I say Estero? That is exactly where one should go to get their questions answered!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:59 AM

610 posts, read 432,459 times
Can you use an old tag and avoid that fee? I use to live in Lee Co. about 10 years ago. I still have my old tag.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM

5,011 posts, read 3,041,322 times
You actually don't need to have the car with you. There is a form you can download from the DMV site. You need to have a dealer from the state you are coming from read the vin # and sign his name and dealer number on the form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area