Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM

78 posts, read 410,085 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Happy New Year and all that stuff.....

I am considering a job with the Lee County Sheriff and was wondering how healthy the county and municipal budgets are these days? I once worked for the city of Fort Lauderdale in 2005 and due to the City Manager mismanaging the budget to the tune of $7 million, they laid many people off including myself. I never saw it coming. So, I would not want to go through that again. The job is in a support position with their IT department. Even though IT is important, many times management deems it not essential (until their computer breaks) and will hire contractors instead. Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGOOFN View Post
Hello everyone! Happy New Year and all that stuff.....

I am considering a job with the Lee County Sheriff and was wondering how healthy the county and municipal budgets are these days? I once worked for the city of Fort Lauderdale in 2005 and due to the City Manager mismanaging the budget to the tune of $7 million, they laid many people off including myself. I never saw it coming. So, I would not want to go through that again. The job is in a support position with their IT department. Even though IT is important, many times management deems it not essential (until their computer breaks) and will hire contractors instead. Any input would be appreciated!
Lee County and Collier county are switching over to digital; which will mean job security for a bit.

Lee County in general is going through some rough patches with "mismanagement." I haven't been here long enough to try to explain what's going on. People here will tell you it's all doom and gloom, but there's usually 3 sides to the story - mine, yours, and the truth. I think if you come with an open mind, do your job, and not get caught up in too much ruckus - you'll be fine.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 PM

78 posts, read 410,085 times
Stahlkd - thanks for the info. You are so right about the three sides to a story. I just don't want to get all settled in and then get laid off and have to start from scratch. I am not a "spring chicken" and as I get older, the fewer choices there are for well-paying jobs. I guess WalMart greeter may not be so bad after all! :0)

Old 12-31-2010, 03:45 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Cape Coral recently had their debt obligations rated "A" and "A+" by Fitch.

Fitch Rates Cape Coral, FL's Non-Ad Valorem Revs 'A+'; Outlook Stable | Business Wire

Old 12-31-2010, 03:03 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
under Google News do a search on "Lee County Budget"

a few items pop up

Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,784 times
From the census

Per capita income fell sharply in Lee County $28286 in 2005 to $25035 in 2009.

Poverty level jumped to 14.3% in 2009 compared to 9.5% in 2005.

Number of vacant housing units rose from 24.84% in 2005 to 34.8% in 2009.

The unemployment rate for Lee County is 13.4% in November of 2010.

This should give you a idea of the health of Lee County, in is below the national average and will remain so for the foreseeable future. The problem was and remains the housing debacle the entire SWFL region had only one industry that was housing it supported everything.

There was and is no other industry and they have no real plan here to bring business to the region. The only plan there ever was is the property taxes to carry the burden and now the Cash cow died
Total failure of the government leadership by not planning ahead for the growth.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Lee county has a 50 million budget deficit. They filled it last year by tapping reserves. This year thry have said they don't want to tap reserves again. There were open positions that they have decided not to fill. They could take from a conservation fund this year to bridge the gap, raise taxes, or cut services.

I would say the likelihood of you getting a job just to later be laid off is a real possibility as the sherrifs dept is the biggest expense in the counties budget and is where I would start to look for budget cuts if I was the decision maker.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Permits fell in Cape Coral, only eight building permits issued in Cape Coral in December 2010.
Down from 17 in November.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:28 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Equal: "There was and is no other industry..."

Healthcare and tourism are other major industries in Lee county.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Equal: "There was and is no other industry..."

Healthcare and tourism are other major industries in Lee county.
I know it is time the local governments earn their keep and get other jobs into the area.
This area is very anti business and it needs to change, You have hundreds of square miles of so called retirement communities that can not support themselves.
Cape Coral for instance is celebrating it's 40th yr as a city this year, and it still isn't functioning as a city, that is a complete failure on the governments side. 40 yrs of ineptitude is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area