Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:42 PM

7 posts, read 19,531 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Pittsburgh our entire lives & we are considering a move to the Cape Coral area, specifically in the SE Cape. I am waiting to hear from my job for the go-ahead, but until then we are trying to get a good scope on the area because if we do get the 'go-ahead' we want to be moved in by April 2011.

I have a friend that lives in the area who has been giving me some great advice, but I hate to bombard her with so many questions. So, here's what I got if anybody would be so kind as to help me:

1. My daughter will be starting Kindergarten this Fall (2011). I know how the School Choice thing works (way different than in PA), so knowing this do you think I should just start looking for a private school now? Especially b/c we won't be registering until waaaayy after everybody else.

2. My job involves a lot of driving. Where are the toll roads/bridges in the area?

3. Do you really have to mow your grass every day?

4. I have a major snake phobia (not really an issue up here..haven't seen one in the 'wild' for about 20 years) but I'm thinking that I need some sort of psychotherapy sessions before we move so I can overcome this. Agreed?

5. What are all these stupid/silly laws that everyone is talking about? Is there a quick link where I can access these?

6. My husband sells cars, and would like some direction on dealerships. If anyone knows of a reputable dealership in the area, suggestions would most definitely be appreciated.

Hmmm...I think that is it for now. Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by cassandrap83; 01-08-2011 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Hey, I live on the other side, Vero Beach, and I rarely see a snake. The grass gets mowed weekly but now that it's winter it's every other week. Someone else will answer you re schools, tolls, rules, dealerships in the Fort Myers area.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
Yes, I am very dissapointed in the snake situation. The couple (harmless variety) snakes I have seen have been road kill (I love snakes. Use to keep them as pets as a kid). I also have yet to see my first alligator, even through I am constantly scanning the lakes and canals for them when I walk or ride my bike. And this is the Naples area. Right next to the Everglades!

Walking in the Murrells Inlet area of South Carolina I have seen several gators and lots of snakes.....

Old 01-08-2011, 05:37 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Here are the rules in Cape Coral. Not so bad really.
City of Cape Coral > Government > Project and Building Information > Code Compliance

Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandrap83 View Post
We have lived in Pittsburgh our entire lives & we are considering a move to the Cape Coral area, specifically in the SE Cape. I am waiting to hear from my job for the go-ahead, but until then we are trying to get a good scope on the area because if we do get the 'go-ahead' we want to be moved in by April 2011.

I have a friend that lives in the area who has been giving me some great advice, but I hate to bombard her with so many questions. So, here's what I got if anybody would be so kind as to help me:

1. My daughter will be starting Kindergarten this Fall (2011). I know how the School Choice thing works (way different than in PA), so knowing this do you think I should just start looking for a private school now? Especially b/c we won't be registering until waaaayy after everybody else.

2. My job involves a lot of driving. Where are the toll roads/bridges in the area?

3. Do you really have to mow your grass every day?

4. I have a major snake phobia (not really an issue up here..haven't seen one in the 'wild' for about 20 years) but I'm thinking that I need some sort of psychotherapy sessions before we move so I can overcome this. Agreed?

5. What are all these stupid/silly laws that everyone is talking about? Is there a quick link where I can access these?

6. My husband sells cars, and would like some direction on dealerships. If anyone knows of a reputable dealership in the area, suggestions would most definitely be appreciated.

Hmmm...I think that is it for now. Thank you in advance!!
School "Choice" is now called School Assignment (changed in Oct/Nov of 2010) Lee County schools have come a long way from the days of old. I know that there's only 1 or 2 "C" high schools. The middle school where I teach at is an A+. My wife's school is a "C" but it's a Title I (low income) with about 80% of the students receive free or reduced lunch. (This is also a middle school) According to School Grades there is only 1 "C" Elementary in the West Zones (Cape Coral). All of them are "A" rated.

There are 2 bridges that you'll frequent - Cape Coral Bridge and Midpoint Bridge. If you're in the SE Cape, you'll be the closest to both bridges. For non-Leeway Pass holders it's 2.00 coming into the Cape. Going to Ft. Myers is free. For pass holders - it's a 1.00.

Probably not going to have to cut grass everyday but don't let it get too high as there is a code enforcement for tall grass. Get ready for difference in grass - as it's not the same as up north. The climate / environment will be a shock. It does rain every day - and at times it could be consider some what like the blizzards up north, but in the summer it lasts for about an hour or so. Prepare for many many days of sunny weather. If you're a gardener up north - it will take a while to get used to the difference in the soil type.

I've seen 3 snakes since I've moved down here in November and they were the result of my cats. Remember they're just as afraid of you as you of them. Bugs are bigger. There is a bug that looks like a cockroach, but isn't (forgot the kind). Plan on spraying perimeter defense a couple times a year to keep them out.

There is a brand new Kia dealership in the north Cape. I'm not sure if I'm liking it - from my understanding they use US money and exchange it or something in Canada to get people financed, and to me - the owner uses too gimmicky advertisements. There's a bunch of dealerships in Ft. Myers. REMEMBER - Lee County is suffering from high unemployment rate. It sounds like you'll be sure of the job while (I think) it will take your husband a longer time to get employment. My suggestion is to see if your husband boss knows of anyone in the area and network that way.

Ask away if there's more

Old 01-09-2011, 06:48 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I disagree, this is the worst place for Neighborhood Nazis I've seen so far.
Pick a nice area with out the meddlers, people around here have no life so they constantly meddle in their neighbors lives.
Very sad.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
I disagree, this is the worst place for Neighborhood Nazis I've seen so far.
Pick a nice area with out the meddlers, people around here have no life so they constantly meddle in their neighbors lives.
Very sad.
Sounds more personal. What specifically do you have issues with? You are not really being helpful to anyone if you are just going to make statements like that without solid facts backing it up. In the code enforcement link I did not see anything that seemed unreasonable. To use words like "Nazi's" without facts is not helpful at all. If your assessment is correct, please back it up with facts or posts like that will be removed as being un-helpful.

People DO read these forums, and they have a part in folks making big life decisions...we have an obligation to be truthful and factual.....

Frank

Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
don't forget to check the SWF forum FAQ on moving down if not done so already!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Sounds more personal. What specifically do you have issues with? You are not really being helpful to anyone if you are just going to make statements like that without solid facts backing it up. In the code enforcement link I did not see anything that seemed unreasonable. To use words like "Nazi's" without facts is not helpful at all. If your assessment is correct, please back it up with facts or posts like that will be removed as being un-helpful.

People DO read these forums, and they have a part in folks making big life decisions...we have an obligation to be truthful and factual.....

Frank
When you have ordinances that allow your neighbors to harass you that is not a good thing. There is a part of the population around here that have nothing to do with their lives then to call code enforcement on their neighbors.
Very simple to summarize.
1. The city codes were written to benefit the city and developers, Not the property owners.
2. The codes are enforced on a personal basis not the way they were written (this is from a code enforcement individual that told me that he only enforces the codes when some one complains, as in one of the neighbors)
Which allows abuse.
3. the neighbor hood Nazi's think they are hidden, there are certain individuals that do nothing but complain, quote from the code enforcement individual "("this person at one time has complained about everyone on the street")". This is a major reason why the city of Cape Coral has such a bad reputation, the city encourages the neighbor hood nazi's, and by now every one that lives here permanently has figured this out.
there are numerous violations in my neighborhood all you have to do is go for a walk and see but if the they don't have a neighborhood nazi on the street the code enforcement does not do anything.
This goes back to what I've said before, there is nothing wrong with the majority of the citizens of Cape Coral there is something wrong with the city government that encourages that kind of behavior.

And this situation has been one of the major growth inhibitors for the city.
The simple fact is that this situation exists, and as long as it is allowed to continue it will be a stain on the city of Cape Coral.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
I am constantly amazed at the energy that goes into ignoring codes and HOA rules and resentment at being called out for violations, long time friends no longer speaking to each other etc.

Life can be so simple...

1) read code before buying
2) assume there will be at least one neighbour who will complain and request code enforcement...especially if you make it a habit of not getting along with your neighbours...especially the crotchety ones
3) decide if you can live within the written rules, or not
4) adhere to the code or HOA rules to the letter

formula for simple living. There are lots of similar places to live with fewer restrictions. The downside of less constrained areas is you get to experience a wide variety of lifestyle decisions on the part of your less-constrained neighbours.

as soon as you go down the path of interpreting which rules you will adhere to or not, you are opening up the door to complete chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area