Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 PM

50 posts, read 80,995 times

Advertisements

Can you please explain to me how the school districting works better, here we get a school based on what house we live in, from there from what I have read you have until March to put in a request to county school system and thenif too many apply to good schools the rest are picked by a lottery basis??

Does this have to be done every year? Like here if you start at one elementary school and dont move your kid grows up with same kids all
through school for the most part,

Hoe does it work for subdequent years do you have to put in the request every year or ocne they are assigned a school are they in every year? What about siblings, if you have to go through lottery process again does that mean 2 kids a year apart could end up at different schools?

just trying to make sense out of all this!!!

any help is appreciated!!

Also another thing I dont understand does the same hold true for Charter schools or can they get in those anytime??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishingawaysnow View Post
Can you please explain to me how the school districting works better, here we get a school based on what house we live in, from there from what I have read you have until March to put in a request to county school system and thenif too many apply to good schools the rest are picked by a lottery basis??

Does this have to be done every year? Like here if you start at one elementary school and dont move your kid grows up with same kids all
through school for the most part,

Hoe does it work for subdequent years do you have to put in the request every year or ocne they are assigned a school are they in every year? What about siblings, if you have to go through lottery process again does that mean 2 kids a year apart could end up at different schools?

just trying to make sense out of all this!!!

any help is appreciated!!

Also another thing I dont understand does the same hold true for Charter schools or can they get in those anytime??

http://studentassignment.leeschools....nglish-web.pdf

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]Once their children are enrolled in a school, parents have
the assurance that they can remain in that school through the
highest grade or until the parents decide to make a change,
or move to another area with a different combination of[/LEFT]
schools.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]Once the enrollment period ends, each application is
assigned a random number that determines the order in
which the application will be processed; applications are
then sorted giving priority to:[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]1) Students in full-time special education classes
2) Siblings wanting to attend the same school
3) Students living within proximity areas around
each school[/LEFT]
4) The random number tie breaker
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 PM

Default wow

Thanks for that info!!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Default hello

I would like to see the zoning maps for the collier county schools too, I cant seem to find them on collier county's website!?? Let me know if you can locate those, and I really do appreciate all your help!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times
Quote:
I would like to see the zoning maps for the collier county schools too, I cant seem to find them on collier county's website!?? Let me know if you can locate those, and I really do appreciate all your help!
I don't think Collier County has School Assignment.

Lee County: Welcome to The School District of Lee County

Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Here ya go!

http://www.collierschools.com/parents/docs/ZoneMaps.pdf

Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Default Wow~~~

WOW THANKS!!! I do appreciate all the help from both of you, this gives me a lot of good starting points when shopping for homes/rentals in the areas!! got some time anyway, but never too early to start doing your homework!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Something to keep in mind about having your kid in the same school zone/with the same kids until they graduate-

This will be nearly impossible in Naples. Schools are rezoned because of overcrowding or a new school is built. These are always emotionally charged meetings. Often there are sneaky political reasons in order to favor one demographic over another. They are going through this right now with the class size amandment rules.

The other thing is the transient nature of the population. As an example, my daughter started first grade with about 25 kids. She graduated high school with three of them-and this was a Catholic school-not subject to any zoning.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 AM

Default wow~~~

thats nuts, yeah a lot of kids move in and out of our area due to military, daughter already lost her best friend to a move...due to her dad being enlisted...

Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 PM

646 posts, read 1,642,233 times
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Once you find the schools that your children can go to, look them up on greatschools.org. That is what I did when we moved down, and that is the link I give people I have worked with that have kids.
There are also Charter Schools, not sure if you have them where you are from, but they can be great schools as well.

Good luck! School choice is very different, but I am thankful we have it here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area