Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:27 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,466 times

Advertisements

Our country is not made up of free-loaders, it's about providing benefits to those that need them now.

Examples;

A portion of your property taxes go to schools, regardless of whether or not you have children.

Working people contribute to Social Security to pay for the monthly checks retired folks receive.

All of us pay a portion of our income to Unemployment even though we have a job.

That's part of living in a democratic society. EQUAL RIGHTS FOR EVERYONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:32 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,466 times
To the OP, it does seem odd that CCU opened an account in your name without your consent. I looked at their website and it doesn't say anything about it.

Does the bill have your name on it?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Recon $45 charge is a tranfer fee to a new cutomer.
res. water $18.25 is for water service to the house
base charge $27.70 is for sewer charge
customer charge $3.50 goes to the company processing your bill.
Note they are service charges to have water and sewer available to the house, not water useage. Water usage is added to the monthly bill when the meter is read.
Electric meter is the same thing. You pay a transfer fee and will pay a monthly service fee to have electric whether you do or don't use electric. Plus all the electric use charges. Evidently you haven't transfered electric service because you didn't make any comments about having to pay a deposit. [be sitting when you open that envelope]

Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
So if you don't have a car you should not pay to build roads. If you have no children in school you should not pay the school tax.
It would be impossible to separate all the services from your tax bill. But I do see your point, especially regarding vacant lots.
Don't use that tired old school comparison, even if you don't have children you still went to school yourself, so you did use the service even before you paid for it.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,271 times
There is another fee that they tack on to the taxes and that one is even more offensive to me, it is the storm-water/swale maintenance fee, people pay it on the taxes yet everywhere you go the home owners are cutting the grass and are maintaining the swale in front of their home, you get charged for it and then you maintain it for the city for free. And before anyone starts I own property elsewhere in FL and pay the storm-water fee, BUT the city in that case maintains and cuts the grass of the swale.
Cape Coral Collects the money and does DOODLEY SQUAT FOR IT that is just plain disgusting.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:05 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times
I think that many of you local residents should storm through the government buildings there and take over, only then you'll get any closeness to correctness and fairness.

Between that and what the home insuranceS prices are and climbing (I hear), how can you all afford to live there?

I couldn't even convince my step-dad who loved Florida to relocate there after him learning of all of this and this is not limited solely to Lee county either.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 PM

65 posts, read 163,320 times
Default Yes, have my name on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
To the OP, it does seem odd that CCU opened an account in your name without your consent. I looked at their website and it doesn't say anything about it.

Does the bill have your name on it?
By the way, I noticed that I do not have electricity bill (yet), maybe because FPL is a private company (not a government utility?)

Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
We should all have a meetup some day.
I can't wait!

Next time I'm in town I will let everyone know. This time I will make time to get together with y'all.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:49 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
Well I see it as a different subject.
People benefit from having other people help pay their bills (being charged for a services they don't use) is wrong, but this country is turning in to a nation of free loaders. IT is wrong to charge people for a service they do not use. plain and simple.
Like I said, I DO see your point and it has some validity.

But - I have no kids. Never did. I pay school taxes. Is that right?

If I never drive a car - should I be exempt from the portion of my taxes that goes to roads?

If I never watch PBS or listen to NPR - where can I go to get a refund of my tax dollars that went to them?

I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:40 AM

397 posts, read 813,562 times
Remember........................only two things in life are certain..............................death and TAXES , TAXES and more TAXES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area