Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 AM

74 posts, read 88,685 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying and having hurricane shutters installed. I'm looking for first hand experiences and recommendations.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 08:00 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
We used Storm Smart and got a variety of solutions. On the windows, we got clear lexon panels that install inside the window frame. They are light and easy to install and are hard to detect from the outside unless you are looking very carefully and let the light into the house. They are custom cut onsite to fit within the window frame. We also got a remote controlled roll down fabric screen to cover everything under truss on the lanai. The screen allows one to see out but not see in. We also use the screen to keep out the rain in the summer so we can stay outside (roll it down about half way). We use it now to create in essence, another room where we can dine and sit and watch TV. We just use a small electric space heater to keep it warm. Works great - until it gets below 45 or so. Over the doors that are not under truss we got traditional accordion shutters. This combination got through Irma without a scratch. The nice part of this combination is that I can get everything up and down in an hour. The panels are light and easy to install if you use a drill or driver with a wing nut bit. We leave the window panels in place from August through October so they were already up when Irma came. Closing the screen and accordions literally took 5 minutes, so we were ziped up and off in no time. Another nice feature of the roll down screen is that we can store all of the chairs and tables and what-not from the open part of the lanai behind the screen and not worry about bringing everything into the house or garage every time we go back north.

There are a lot of options and different combinations could work for different homes. No need to use one product over the entire house. For us, the remote controlled roll down screen is very versatile and has many uses year round. It was expensive but worth every penny.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:01 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,572 times
My builder will provide builder storm window protection metal screens/covers but likely nothing for my Lanai.

I see a from Storm Smart, Inc. featured on WINK. Their automatic storm screen for Lani’s looks compelling. I would think the builder supplied regular window coverings would suffice.

Any thoughts in on the Lanai screen or the firm?

Thanks

Old 01-24-2018, 04:07 PM

I left Storm Smart an inquiry on their web page about my new home being completed and what recommendation we can discuss.

Storm Smart called the next day, a young lady , I forget her name.

Basically she said call back Storm Smart when the house is completed. No response to the outline I provided.

They apparently do not read the comment section on the web inquiry you send. They just use it as an outbound appointment maker for a sales guy.

Not very smart there Storm Smart.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:11 AM

700 posts, read 1,818,744 times
As a customer I've used Forcefield Hurricane – Protection Systems with great results.
Shuttered lanai in 2013.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
As a customer I've used Forcefield Hurricane – Protection Systems with great results.
Shuttered lanai in 2013.
Thanks. I will visit them when the new house is complete. I have ½ a year before next hurricane seasonrolls aound!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area