U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 3 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,002,926 times

Advertisements

Going by tax exemptions, last fall WINK News pinpointed the Chinese Drywall units in Lee, Charlotte and Collier Counties.

By percentage, in Lee County it is .44% of the single family homes and condos. In Charlotte County the percentage of homes infected is .27% and in Collier County it is .06%.

Bear in mind that they are going by the exemptions. If someone didn't apply for one they will not be on the list.

Chinese drywall myth busted

There is also a map.

WINK News Chinese Drywall Locations

I really hope this helps a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 PM

489 posts, read 611,737 times
Default Chinese Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Going by tax exemptions, last fall WINK News pinpointed the Chinese Drywall units in Lee, Charlotte and Collier Counties.

By percentage, in Lee County it is .44% of the single family homes and condos. In Charlotte County the percentage of homes infected is .27% and in Collier County it is .06%.

Bear in mind that they are going by the exemptions. If someone didn't apply for one they will not be on the list.

Chinese drywall myth busted

There is also a map.

WINK News Chinese Drywall Locations

I really hope this helps a lot of people.

Good stuff, actually makes me a little happier since we are seriously considering the Cape for our move.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:22 PM

1,915 posts, read 2,343,283 times
nice Map Hik, to all others as hik said it only means homes that have asked for the exemption are on the list. on another thread I had mentioned about some condos on burnt store rd that had the chinese drywall and they are not on the map, so you still must check for signs and always ask the realtor specifically if it ever had chinese drywall, if they have knowledge and you ask they are supposed to disclose.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:20 PM

8,287 posts, read 8,141,943 times
I like good news as much as the next person, so I'm not disagreeing with the figures, since I have no idea what they are. If it's less than 1/2 of 1%, that's great. However, I looked in one gated community in Cape Coral and a very large percentage of the houses and townhouses within the development had Chinese Drywall. Most of the homes had been gutted and repaired. Regarding Burnt Store Road, there were several KB Homes with CDW in one development in Punta Gorda. Last year I was in Gateway in Fort Myers where CDW was detected in an entire section of villas and townhouses. I realize this isn't the general FL forum, but I hope I can post this Tampa story that was in the news a few days ago. No official statistics are going to make this lady feel any better.

Bank foreclosing on woman's Chinese drywall home

"All 12 of the homes were constructed with toxic Chinese drywall. The homes join thousands of others in Florida with the bad drywall. But what sets this situation apart is that taxpayers also invested in these homes that are now nearly worthless."

A report from the Chinese Drywall Complaint Center today said:

" The Chinese Drywall Complaint Center is dramatically expanding its Knauf Tianjin toxic Chinese drywall initiative for homeowners in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Southeast Texas, because the group fears only about 5% of all Gulf States homes containing this toxic Chinese drywall product have been identified....."

also

"The Chinese drywall Complaint Center now believes that many more US Southeast homes particularly in Florida, Southeast Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia and Louisiana have toxic Chinese drywall than previous calculations. The group says, "many homes in the US Southeast have toxic Chinese drywall INTERMIXED with US made drywall. If these homes were built or remodeled after 2001, we believe a small amount of imported Chinese drywall is enough to make an entire house toxic. The net result is instead of ending up with tens of thousands of toxic US Southeast homes, we are convinced we have 100,000's of toxic US Southeast homes."

Again, it's possible that the figures have been inflated and only a tiny percentage of homes have defective drywall, but I also remember when WINK news reported that real estate prices had hit bottom back in 2007.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 PM

I really don't think the percentages are the thrust of my thread. I think it's nice to have a map to look at. I clearly state that this map is not definitive. Nor did I try to make this into good news.

If you bought a house with Chinese drywall I don't think any percentage or statistic is going to matter. Further, if you are looking for homes, this percentage is still going to be cold comfort.

The only reason I tripped across this - which is actually news from November - is because Kev and another poster were discussing some of the developments where there is a lot of Chinese drywall. This map gives one a good idea where they are. It shows where the Chinese drywall is, it does not rule out other homes, and I state that as such.

We have a ton of information on the subject on this forum. There is also a lot of info on the internet. You can have a development full of bad drywall and a unit that doesn't have it. You also can have an older home that got hit by Charley - or not - and was renovated and has Chinese drywall.

I wasn't trying to make anyone feel better. I was trying to be helpful. I know. Novel concept to some.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 PM

243 posts, read 236,270 times
Be careful with the Chinese Drywall. Even so it is true that there are communities which have a higher percentage in Chinese Drywall, however that does not mean, there are are no other homes with Chinese Drywall either. If you are considering purchasing a home which was build between 2003 and 2009 make sure you have a home inspection including Chinese Drywall inspection. But older homes are not "out of the woods" either. If a home was remodelled in the time (2003 - 2009) it could have Chinese Drywall as well. It is only a small percentage of homes, which have chinese drywall but you for sure don't want to purchase a home, which belongs to this "small" percentage either.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 AM

646 posts, read 884,518 times
I wonder how you can file for such exemption to prove your home is defective, Take in a home inspection, showing you have signs/symptoms of defective drywall?
I also wonder how many people have lied to get this exemption? I'm just sayin'... Not everyone tells the truth and we all know it.

To me, a tax exemption is a slap in the face! Get these people real relief! There are empty homes that are free of this mess, and the bank is just sitting on them. Why not put a family in a home of equal value to their home that was defective. Not sure how we would go about doing it, but where there is a will, there is a way.
So sad

Old 04-10-2011, 01:41 PM

Lee County Property Line

Inspection steps for homeowners

U.S. CPSC: Drywall Information Center

http://www.leepa.org/ChineseDrywall/...PicsForWeb.pdf

http://www.leepa.org/ChineseDrywall/LegalCase.pdf

Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM

Good stuff hik, I'm copying all of this for my own personal use!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 PM

Default Chinese Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRESI View Post
I wonder how you can file for such exemption to prove your home is defective, Take in a home inspection, showing you have signs/symptoms of defective drywall?
I also wonder how many people have lied to get this exemption? I'm just sayin'... Not everyone tells the truth and we all know it.

To me, a tax exemption is a slap in the face! Get these people real relief! There are empty homes that are free of this mess, and the bank is just sitting on them. Why not put a family in a home of equal value to their home that was defective. Not sure how we would go about doing it, but where there is a will, there is a way.
So sad
From what I understand, a sample of the drywall is taken and sent for analysis if the house in question is suspected of having the material. The chinese drywall has a high content of sulphur and other compounds not found in USG drywall. This all goes back to using american building materials to build american homes! It is crazy to think that greed was the primary reason for substituting Chinese drywall for US made materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area