Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 02:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times

Advertisements

Out of all of Lee County, Cape Coral had the most potential.

Four years ago, Cape Coral was on its way, building at a nice, steady pace. It was starting to lose that "filled-in-swamp-with-lots-of-empty-lots-and roads-that-lead-to-nowhere" look. We have several relatives on the cape, the part of the family that we actually liked , and we enjoyed visiting and always went to the Fourth of July fireworks display.

Fort Myers had too much traffic and too many bad areas, San Carlos Park had Three Oaks, but for the most part, it was transients and white trash mixed in with a drug problem. Estero was nice, but lacked a town center.

Cape Coral was moving away from the "newly wed or nearly dead" label. I seriously considered buying there, even though my husband was fussing at the bridge traffic and tolls. But then Charley hit and the home prices went through the roof. There was no way that those prices could be sustained based on a service economy. They just weren't worth it.

Now, I'm glad I didn't buy, even in 2003, with so many abandoned houses there and the problems that come with it.

It's too bad they can't attract some sort of industry. I use to work for SONY, but even they outsourced most of those jobs.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:44 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,882,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Out of all of Lee County, Cape Coral had the most potential.

Four years ago, Cape Coral was on its way, building at a nice, steady pace. It was starting to lose that "filled-in-swamp-with-lots-of-empty-lots-and roads-that-lead-to-nowhere" look. We have several relatives on the cape, the part of the family that we actually liked , and we enjoyed visiting and always went to the Fourth of July fireworks display.

Fort Myers had too much traffic and too many bad areas, San Carlos Park had Three Oaks, but for the most part, it was transients and white trash mixed in with a drug problem. Estero was nice, but lacked a town center.

Cape Coral was moving away from the "newly wed or nearly dead" label. I seriously considered buying there, even though my husband was fussing at the bridge traffic and tolls. But then Charley hit and the home prices went through the roof. There was no way that those prices could be sustained based on a service economy. They just weren't worth it.

Now, I'm glad I didn't buy, even in 2003, with so many abandoned houses there and the problems that come with it.

It's too bad they can't attract some sort of industry. I use to work for SONY, but even they outsourced most of those jobs.
Alot of people in Cape Coral got laid off in the past few months. Most have left the area and some are living on severance packages.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:21 AM

3 posts, read 10,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBill View Post
To sum it up, Cape Coral is still a good place to live despite the influx of the new mindset. The future is largely dependant upon which path our elected officials take

Agreed but with the recent election that just past they replaced 5 out of the 7 seats on the city council. Non associated with real estate ventures or sales. All commitied to cutting expences and being held accountable.

As one present council stated it was strictly motivated in getting rid of some of the good old boys/gals...which they did just that. IMHO... ABOUT TIME !!!!
Yep. We did have some much needed changes but how much will really change remains to be seen. Still waiting on the new gov to do something besides dump PIP and up my auto insurance to pay into the state funds. You know, the one who promised better insurance rates and Homestead Exemption.

I've been down here long enough to remember the county commission going to prison over the East Fort Myers sewer project and the 'drug judge' and tax collector do their time in the graybar hotel too. Guess the area's history has made me kind of leery about the newly elected (especially in the Cape)...at least until we see some performance.

Real estate has historically always made a comeback and I'm sure that will eventually be true in Cape Coral. I have seen this 'boom and bust' three times in Lee County over the last thirty years, but we have never had an economy anything like this one. When the rappers are making videos about Euros, Israel is requesting our aid to them be paid in Euros and the administration is out spending a trillion dollars the US doesn't have on a war we don't need...well, I really don't know what to expect in terms of 'when' or 'how much'. Meanwhile those on fixed incomes watch the dollar take a dump in 'real value' and the unemployed and underemployed struggle to hang on.

So, I hope the new "old-boys-in-training" are true fishermen and not just another bunch of bait-cutters.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:07 AM

282 posts, read 1,005,073 times
We visited Cape Coral and liked the area, yes there are alot of houses for sale but we found the people to be so nice and friendly. We ended up making an offer on a house for $135,000 and it was accepted with no counter offer. It's a 1400 sq. ft. 3/2 and the assessments are paid and the house is on a lake so we believe that we got a good deal. The house needs a little updating but I don't mind I like to put my own taste in things anyway. I liked the area and am very excited to return, I miss the warm weather already.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 10,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
We visited Cape Coral and liked the area, yes there are alot of houses for sale but we found the people to be so nice and friendly. We ended up making an offer on a house for $135,000 and it was accepted with no counter offer. It's a 1400 sq. ft. 3/2 and the assessments are paid and the house is on a lake so we believe that we got a good deal. The house needs a little updating but I don't mind I like to put my own taste in things anyway. I liked the area and am very excited to return, I miss the warm weather already.
It does sound as if you got a good deal. Anything on water is a premium property...river access or not.

The people down here are indeed generally friendly. A characteristic fairly common throughout the South. Florida is something of a special case since 'pilgrims' come down from two main routes; I-75 from the 'middle America' group heading towards the Florida West Coast and I-95 from the less-inclined-to-be-friendly hustle, bustle and 'rudeness-as-an-artform' Eastern cities. Luckily much of the I-95 group follow it to the East Coast to hook up with their counterparts LOL. The ones who are trying to escape the negative characteristics of 'home' end up over here with us.

So, wherever you are from...WELCOME! You made it to the right place.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:50 AM

282 posts, read 1,005,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEBLACKM3 View Post
It does sound as if you got a good deal. Anything on water is a premium property...river access or not.

The people down here are indeed generally friendly. A characteristic fairly common throughout the South. Florida is something of a special case since 'pilgrims' come down from two main routes; I-75 from the 'middle America' group heading towards the Florida West Coast and I-95 from the less-inclined-to-be-friendly hustle, bustle and 'rudeness-as-an-artform' Eastern cities. Luckily much of the I-95 group follow it to the East Coast to hook up with their counterparts LOL. The ones who are trying to escape the negative characteristics of 'home' end up over here with us.

So, wherever you are from...WELCOME! You made it to the right place.
Thanks! I was born in Florida but have lived in Indiana for the last 30 years. I kinda feel like I'm home again.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,017,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
Sounds like a real good deal. Like what was available before the housing boom. Best time of year, great weather!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 112,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBill View Post
If things where left status quo there would be no room for improvement
Here's your sign.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,809 times
Default Best Areas to live in Cape Coral

My wife and I are thinking of coming to the Cape Coral area for a 6 month temporary job assignment. Wanted to rent a house during this period and wanted to know some of the best areas. We lived in Palm Harbor (Tampa Bay) for 6 months previously, just thinking about going a little further south. Anything about the area would be appreciated.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 112,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunderbolt View Post
My wife and I are thinking of coming to the Cape Coral area for a 6 month temporary job assignment. Wanted to rent a house during this period and wanted to know some of the best areas. We lived in Palm Harbor (Tampa Bay) for 6 months previously, just thinking about going a little further south. Anything about the area would be appreciated.
All depends on what you're looking for? Are you looking to be close to shopping or the river or be out away from everyone? SE Cape is good for being around shopping and close to the toll bridges to get across the river to Ft Myers. North Cape is great to get away from all the prying eyes and "most" of the traffic. As far as being safe from getting robbed or mugged, anywhere on the cape is fine.

Remember SE Cape is more dence then SW Cape still dence but not as much. NE N NW Cape still wide open for the most part.
Cape Coral and the area is a great place to visit but you don't want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area