U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 AM

21,637 posts, read 31,006,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
a place in SW FL that would allow any sort of construction without permits. Actually, I think you need a permit to sneeze in most of FL, but then it's been a long time since I lived there...

There are several counties in E TN where you can build on your own property without having to have a permit, inspection, etc. and can have the benefit of electricity and easy access to shopping, civilization, etc. No beach, but it's "purty" here
I was thinking the same thing. You can build what you want in Tennessee, perhaps a good portion of The South. Florida is too Yankeefied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 06:15 AM

4,592 posts, read 5,707,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Do you know how hot a shipping container gets in the sun? I have been in them, and not in FL, and they are stifling hot. Thankfully they won't allow them in Cape Coral.

Were the ones you were in modifed to be livable or were they just empty containers?

I've been in them as well and other then looking like a single wide trailer, they were quite comfortable. They had full bathrooms, full electrical service, a/c and cable. lol This was also in the dead of summer and it wasn't stifling at all.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:40 AM

68 posts, read 102,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Were the ones you were in modifed to be livable or were they just empty containers?

I've been in them as well and other then looking like a single wide trailer, they were quite comfortable. They had full bathrooms, full electrical service, a/c and cable. lol This was also in the dead of summer and it wasn't stifling at all.
Both Kim. I realize that for many it is hard to imagine how they look and 'behave' when completed but it will be a fun and cheap project. Think of them as building blocks that can be cusomized and joined together. Take one container and it is a little like the carcass of a single wide mobile home but put two side by side with an arch or French Doors in the adjoining wall and the space is far less confined. Often when completed it is hard to tell that they were ever shipping containers, especially after cladding the outside walls and building a roof deck.
The foundations are easy and cheap to build. Sometimes builders place one container underground and then another on top. There can be a spiral staircase between the two and the lower level used as an utility room.
The good thing is that another container can be added at any time for more living space without causing any problems for the existing living spaces.
I agree that Florida does not seem to be a friendly state for projects of this type. New Mexico seems to be top of list so far for ease of building them without any need for planning permission etc.
I guess, for many, these 'Tiny Homes' may be a better alternative.
Big ideas for diminutive dwellings - MSN Real Estate
One could buy cheap parcels of land all over the country with some friends and just travel between them with a 'Tiny Home' in tow!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:41 AM

68 posts, read 102,039 times
Thanks for everyone who suggested Tennessee. I am checking out land prices etc. this weekend.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:19 AM

837 posts, read 1,036,972 times
Why not put wheels under them,as well and you'd have your own camper?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:03 AM

1,301 posts, read 894,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraCrossing View Post
As a retirement project I would like to realize a dream by buying three 8'X20' shipping containers and converting them into a liveable space. I have been working on the design for some time and am at present costing the project.
My question is that as I want to avoid the whole planning permission process is it possible to buy a piece of land in SW Florida where I can have the freedom to do this - without being in the boonies?
In other words I want complete freedom with the design and materials used.
By the way I found a lot in New Mexico on a ranch that is/was owned by Ted Turner where I could do this but no utilities and over fifty miles to the supermarket and probably a day trip to Home Depot or Lowes.
by the time you figure all the cost, you'd be better off buying a home.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:51 AM

59 posts, read 70,566 times
Default I am MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Guy View Post
Personally, I think you're mad!

However, I defend your right to be mad and wish you the best of luck.

Me, I'd buy a house
and I 'd buy a green shipping container home

Old 05-14-2011, 11:16 AM

145 posts, read 214,307 times
I highly doubt there is any place in Florida where you could build a home like this. It would never pass hurricane standards and would be a risk to other homes if this thing became airborne. You could possible build one in New Mexico or Montana.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:49 AM

19,682 posts, read 15,411,261 times
Lots of creative ideas out there.
.shipping containers homes - Google Search

Heres another option worth considering.
http://www.google.ca/search?um=1&hl=...213l1300l1.4.3

Old 05-14-2011, 12:00 PM

4,977 posts, read 2,853,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

No I had just been in empty containers that we used for material and tools on construction sites. A man had to stay inside to give out tools and material. It was awful. But after seeing all of Zebra's youtubes I can see how they can be modified for use. I think Tennessee would be a wonderful place to put it. (sorry Hik)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area