U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM

68 posts, read 180,992 times

Advertisements

As a retirement project I would like to realize a dream by buying three 8'X20' shipping containers and converting them into a liveable space. I have been working on the design for some time and am at present costing the project.
My question is that as I want to avoid the whole planning permission process is it possible to buy a piece of land in SW Florida where I can have the freedom to do this - without being in the boonies?
In other words I want complete freedom with the design and materials used.
By the way I found a lot in New Mexico on a ranch that is/was owned by Ted Turner where I could do this but no utilities and over fifty miles to the supermarket and probably a day trip to Home Depot or Lowes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 10:44 AM

5,500 posts, read 6,442,631 times
Do you know how hot a shipping container gets in the sun? I have been in them, and not in FL, and they are stifling hot. Thankfully they won't allow them in Cape Coral.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM

64 posts, read 146,286 times
Default Good idea

but could it handle the summer heat?

I am also looking into this...

Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Do you know how hot a shipping container gets in the sun? I have been in them, and not in FL, and they are stifling hot. Thankfully they won't allow them in Cape Coral.
Good point. I have seen some that have had the roof coated with a rubber membrane and then covered with sod. Others have built a deck on top which I like very much and there is the skeleton roof but this is possibly not hurricane proof. As alternative it is possible to use solar panels.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 AM

493 posts, read 1,261,672 times
Default Shipping containers

Can I ask why shipping containers, because of their metal composition, they are basically an oven in the sun, they are square, so not wind friendly. Why the interest in them, just curious for your answer.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM

132 posts, read 521,468 times
I remember seeing a house like this on HGTV. It used the containers as the outer walls of the home. Most of the living space wasn't acutally "inside" the container just inside the perimeter they created.
It was actually very nice.
To answer the question though, I don't know of a local area where you could get around codes and permits, that's how they get ya.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Many thanks MikeP that's what I thought but I will keep looking.
I realize it must be difficult to appreciate what can be done with shipping containers so please check out these links if you have time. There is a large following for converting them since they are so cheap to buy. It just needs a lot of imagination and time.
Shipping Container Home | ISBU home
Amazing homes and offices built from shipping containers - MSN Real Estate

Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 PM

374 posts, read 841,397 times
Default I can't imagine

a place in SW FL that would allow any sort of construction without permits. Actually, I think you need a permit to sneeze in most of FL, but then it's been a long time since I lived there...

There are several counties in E TN where you can build on your own property without having to have a permit, inspection, etc. and can have the benefit of electricity and easy access to shopping, civilization, etc. No beach, but it's "purty" here

Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 PM

222 posts, read 431,659 times
Personally, I think you're mad!

However, I defend your right to be mad and wish you the best of luck.

Me, I'd buy a house

Old 05-13-2011, 11:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,932,573 times
I would otherwise recommend Slab City near Niland California, where anarchy reigns, but it's the California Desert near the Arizona border, so the heat would make the thing a torture chamber and you can forget about laying sod on the roof out there in the desert ----- however, you might be able to cake on mud and straw like that guy at Salvation Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area