Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 AM

222 posts, read 473,020 times

Advertisements

We're gonna rent out our Florida home when we're not staying there to help pay the bills etc. The house is re-modeled and has a pool and we think it's great!

However as many potential renters will be from this side of the pond, I wanted to pick your brains to find out if there are any things that are pretty much a must-have or a must-be for Americans or Canadians in a vacation rental.

For example, we weren't going to install a land-line phone in the belief that everyone uses mobiles these days. However, we were told that people want to have a land-line so they can be sure of calling 911. So we are now having to look at installing that.

Anything else you guys consider must-have's/must-be's in a vacation home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
I have a 911 button on my cell phone... I never thought about it..maybe it can be traced... , I wouldn't care if it had a land line as long as I can recharge my cell phone.

A vacation home can be anything. Some rough it in the mountains camping , others spend it in a luxury retreat.
A vacation home needs a place to relax and if it is comfortable for you, it should be awesome to others.

A list of how things work in the home is important. Example. If the fridge has an ice maker , how to turn it on and off etc..

A map of the area would be an added bonus.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM

282 posts, read 1,008,818 times
A coffee pot!!! That to me is a must have!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM

198 posts, read 482,367 times
Make sure you check with your insurance agent. Homeowners insurance
will not cover most, if any, incidents incurred by renters. You should have
a separate policy.
I've been renting my place in Maine for thirty years and have been lucky with only one fall and a dog bite. Fortunately, no insurance or lawsuit was involved.
Also, if you get the basic phone service make sure you get a long distance block on it.
You may want to consider internet too, I supply it.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
Go to VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link) and look at your rental competition in your area. Provide what they do or better.....

Frank

Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Are you near the beach? Beach chairs and umbrellas are always a welcomed find. Bikes too.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
As someone who has rented vacation homes and done several home exchanges, this is my list of must haves:

1. I want to see lots of photos before I rent. Inside, outside, all the rooms including bathrooms. Extra points if you show me the laundry area.
2. I want to see a copy of the lease before I sign.
3. I want a fully functional, turn key kitchen. That includes stovetop, oven, microwave, full size fridge and freezer (two door - not the kind little freezer door inside), coffee pot, a toaster or toaster oven, dishes, silverware, glasses, a mixing bowl, a salad bowl, small selection of pots and pans, coffee mugs, a decent chef's knife (I've given up on that one and bring my own now), steak knives, a measuring cup, slotted spoon, tongs, and so forth. Extra points for a dishwasher.
4. Matches and flashlights. Spare light bulbs. A map of the area is a nice touch.
5. Towels - bath, kitchen, washcloths, and beach.
6. One full set of linens for each bed. One extra set of pillows is a nice touch.
7. (Unless the HOA disallows) An outdoor grill in decent condition, with the usual BBQ tools. Preferably gas. It it requires charcoal, please leave me some along with lighter fluid.
8. INTERNET. Definitely. Extra points for wireless.
9. Cable or Satellite TV. Extra points for flat screen, Extra points for premium channels like HBO.
10. A washer and dryer. Please leave me a laundry basket. (I might consider renting a place that has a W/D room for the building, but I'm not going to a Laundromat.)
11. I prefer having a landline, but not absolutely. As long as there's internet access, I can use Skype.
12. Please leave me some toilet paper, paper towels, a broom and dustpan, and a few cleaning supplies. (and a good tenant will replace what they use.)
13. If near a beach, beach chairs and an umbrella are a really nice touch!
14. A book that tells me how to use the appliances (or leave me the manuals). It's great if the book also includes emergency phone numbers, the full and complete address of the home, maybe some brochures for local places of interest, and some menus from local restaurants.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
I'll also just ad that I would supply some local brochures of attractions, etc from your local chamber of commerce. Also, I would provide a emergency weather radio.

I also had a small diary for folks who would want to leave helpful comments....on my rental I had folks like what we provided very much. Sometimes they would add to the collection.....one renter left a bike, one a nice extra loungechair for the patio...( I already had some nice ones, but I guess they wanted another one). We are always finding some extra things...

I provided a very fully supplied kitchen....but I did have one renter complain that I did not provide an extra 3 qt saucepan.....even when there were a few 1, 2, and 4 quart saucepans as well as other pans, etc....

You can't please everyone, but I've always had very happy renters. Just make sure you leave a good list of exactly what they are supposed to do on that last day. I had one renter who had a habit of always forgetting to leave the garage door opener......

Frank

Old 05-16-2011, 01:50 PM

81 posts, read 125,337 times
We just got back from staying at a rental house on Pine Island. Wireless Internet is a MUST! We were promised service, but it wasn't there when we got there and it made for a pretty bad 48 hours. Also some things for floating in the pool are a nice touch

Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Here is some information I wrote awhile ago for people looking to buy a home and make it a vacation rental.

List of items that should be in a vacation rental property
If you have a vacation rental property, here is a list of items that most people expect to see when they arrive. This is geared toward living in Southwest Florida.

1. Entry - Outside door mat, inside rug with a chair or table to place items.

2. Living Room - A sleeper sofa with sheet sets, blankets and pillows. An additional sofa or loveseat, coffee table, end tables, chairs, lamps, artwork or wall hangings, television, DVD player, stereo or radio, and a bookshelf with books, games, and puzzles.

3. Dining Room - A table with enough chairs to accommodate however many people the home sleeps, light fixture over the table, placemats and/or tablecloths.

4. Bedrooms - Each bedroom should have a bed with two sets of bedding, one dresser, two night stands, two lamps, an alarm clock, a mirror, hangers in the closet, artwork, a television at least in the master bedroom, a chair and wall hangings.

5. Bathrooms - Each bathroom should have at least two sets of towels, a mirror, towel racks, toilet paper holder and tissue, bath mat, rug in front of sink, toilet brush, wastebasket, soap dish, shower caddy, blow dryer, glass shower doors or a shower curtain.

6. Kitchen - Appliances should include refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, coffee pot, toaster or toaster oven, can opener, hand mixer, and blender. Utensils should include dinner ware, flat ware, stirring spoons, spatula, rubber scraper, tongs, wire whisk, cheese grater, potato peeler, bottle opener, corkscrew, steak knives, glass ware, wine glasses, coffee mugs, and plastic cups for kids. Other items should include pots and pans, baking dishes, mixing bowls, baking sheets, muffin tins, measuring spoons and cups, serving bowls, kitchen scissors, and a half gallon pitcher. Don't forget the oven mitts, hot pads, kitchen towels, dish cloths and sponges as well as a kitchen garbage can. Rug in front of kitchen sink, wall hangings, a telephone and phone books, flashlight, candles, matches or a lighter, writing pad and pen, fire extinguisher.

7. Cleaning Supplies - Mop, broom, dust pan, vacuum cleaner, dish soap, dishwashing soap, laundry soap, dryer sheets, all purpose spray cleaner, window cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, scrub pads, and sponges.

8. Laundry Facilities - washer, dryer, iron, ironing board.

9. Optional Items if you have a lanai or outdoor space - Grill, barbecue tools, patio table and chairs, table umbrellas, beach umbrella, beach chairs, and beach toys.

10. Other - Give emergency contact phone numbers, list of local amenities such as grocery store, post office, pharmacy, bank, movie theatre and other attractions. Typed directions of how to use the TV, DVD player, stereo or other electronic equipment. Menus from local restaurants.

This is just a general list of items to include in a vacation rental property. You may want to add your own touches. If you live in a deed restricted community with a pool, tennis courts, golf course, etc. you should give a set of rules and regulations for proper use of the facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area