Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM

222 posts, read 472,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt502 View Post
One of the best trips I have ever taken my family on was NY City, I was surprised at how nice everybody was!
We recently got back from our trip to Orlando, Fort Myers and home via NYC.

Everything great and the people were fab as always. NYC cops friendly and helpful and the whole place really cool

Just wish we had more time and money.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 PM

33,558 posts, read 18,147,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt502 View Post
One of the best trips I have ever taken my family on was NY City, I was surprised at how nice everybody was!
maybe you were talking to tourists who are there alot! Most tourists are super friendly making conversation is one of the fun reasons to go somewhere different and to meet new people.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Some of the friendliest and kindest people I've met have been New Yorkers. And I hate to tell you Jersey folks, but when people not from the northeast stereotype those rude "New Yorkers" they also mean the Jersey people, too; sometimes even New Englanders. Most people that aren't from the northeast can't tell the differences in the accents. They think everyone from that area are "New Yorkers."

Sometimes I think people just speak different "languages." "New Yorkers" - translation: people from the northeast - tend to tell you what they think. It doesn't mean they won't give you the shirt off their back. Personally, I'd rather know that you don't like me then have to find out from someone else.

I've found that calling folks from a certain area of the country "rude" is not particularly nice; or that there are too many of them. I think we all do it from time to time, but it's incredibly rude to do so, don't you think?

And if people are moving away from me at the beach, or anywhere, and telling me to go elsewhere I'd have to wonder why.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,998 times
I wasn't meaning to knock down anyone from NY or up east at all. I'm sorry if I offended ya all I did meet some people from Delaware, Maine, New York and even New Jersey who were nice and friendly. I also was utterly surprised of how friendly this one guy from Jersey was I met. I swear he must have some Kentucky in him. I met him, his girlfriend and another guy that was with him on the beach and we all spent the day together and even went out to eat. That was my best day there since I was a bit depressed at most folks moving away from me on the beach or turning their head and walking the other way when I spoke to them.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I wasn't meaning to knock down anyone from NY or up east at all. I'm sorry if I offended ya all I did meet some people from Delaware, Maine, New York and even New Jersey who were nice and friendly. I also was utterly surprised of how friendly this one guy from Jersey was I met. I swear he must have some Kentucky in him. I met him, his girlfriend and another guy that was with him on the beach and we all spent the day together and even went out to eat. That was my best day there since I was a bit depressed at most folks moving away from me on the beach or turning their head and walking the other way when I spoke to them.
I once met this person from Kentucky and I was utterly surprised at how friendly he was! I swear, he must have had some Massachusetts in him!

Not a true story, simply poetic license to gently illustrate why you may be having issues.

I fervently hope that you take this information in the spirit that it is offered.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Not a true story, simply poetic license to gently illustrate why you may be having issues. [LEFT]

I don't understand what your talking about. I was traveling by myself and just trying to make conversation and well, it really depressed me how rude folks are from other places.
[/LEFT]

Old 05-19-2011, 09:51 AM

964 posts, read 2,063,759 times
That's just it - the behavior is not rude. It's all about geographic differences. You go to the NE, people are busy, their world is hectic (try driving out of Manhattan at 5 PM!) and so their interactions are a function of that. You go to California, they are more laid back. It's a big country. To define your expectations of others without considering their background, demographics, or geographical considerations is unfair. It's called ethnocentrism.

If I was on the beach with my family, I doubt I would welcome a stranger into our day. Folks have so little free time for their families, that time is somewhat sacred. I guess you may consider that selfish, but it's all about perspective.

Quote:
I don't understand what your talking about. I was traveling by myself and just trying to make conversation and well, it really depressed me how rude folks are from other places.
[/color][/LEFT]

Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
the behavior is not rude
To me, it is rude. I have no family and I came there for the holidays. I also was looking for property and thinking about getting a 2nd home, a vacation home. But from what I have encountered, I am having 2nd thoughts.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM

964 posts, read 2,063,759 times
Quote:
To me, it is rude. I have no family and I came there for the holidays. I also was looking for property and thinking about getting a 2nd home, a vacation home. But from what I have encountered, I am having 2nd thoughts.

I am sorry you are alone. For years when I was younger, that was the case for me as well as both my folks died by the time I was 23. But you cannot expect others to fill that void for you. They aren't rude if they don't let you in. It's not their responsibility to do so.

If you want to meet people who are like - minded and are open to forming new relationships, why don't you check out Meetup.com? I think your chances of finding friends might be better this way versus having unfair expectations / perceptions of folks with other things on their plates....

Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 AM

I do have a dog, but he's my only family. To make myself clearer since some of ya all aren't grasping what I am trying to say is, for instance I went to "Gumbo Limbo" in Boca. I was walking I think towards "the tower" and saw a gal walking in front of me quite a distance up and all I said to her was "is this the way to the tower". She didn't say much and turned and walked the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area