Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one that is tired of being asked for a dollar (or more) every time you check out of a market,gas station or convenience store?
I guess it annoys me because we have a list of favorite charities that we support annually and feel that we do more than enough.Feel bad for the clerks because some people actually get angry.
I know they are all ,mostly good causes but,geesh.....enough is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:34 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Yeah, I know what you mean. It is hard for me to say no too. I have specific charity events that I support each year and in tough times it is hard to give to everyone all the time. Support what you can, when you can afford it. That is all we can do. The clerks are required to ask and people must understand that.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,271 times
quite whining.
They are trying to help people, if you don't want to contribute say no politely and leave.
Why are people getting upset just for being asked a question, get real.
Or don't patronize the store.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Am I the only one that is tired of being asked for a dollar (or more) every time you check out of a market,gas station or convenience store?
I guess it annoys me because we have a list of favorite charities that we support annually and feel that we do more than enough.Feel bad for the clerks because some people actually get angry.
I know they are all ,mostly good causes but,geesh.....enough is enough.
This bothers you and shows that you have a good heart.

Most clerks hate asking but have been ordered to do it. If you cheerfully say "no, thank you" sometimes I detect an air of relief from them.

What bothers me is the corporations that pull this stunt. Walmart is famous for asking their customers and employees to donate to charity, not put in a dollar of their own money, and then crow about it like they are the ones actually donating.

Another one that has always fried me is the corporate United Way extortion scam. I've worked for Comcast and Publix where they heavily lean on their employees. In fact the store managers of Publix will meet one-on-one. Most of those employees barely make any money. But it is a corporate pride situation where they can toot their own horn.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Know someone that needs food? Buy them groceries. It's the only way that you can be guaranteed that every bit of your money goes to helping someone.

I'm on Facebook amid a lot of "Christians." We struggled last year with our new business that was blocked by road construction. The only people that offered to help was my MIL -- and we took her up on the offer -- and "nhkev" and "two bums" on CD -- and I politely declined.

Don't be bothered by being asked by these people. It has nothing to do with "real" giving.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
If people don't ask, then most people won't give. That's why the Salvation Army has bell ringers in front of stores before Christmas. However, I completely understand, since it annoys me too. I smile and say "no thank you" or "I already gave" and hope I won't be asked a second time. When possible, I donate money or food to my favorite charities/causes, but it's really not anyone's business. I sometimes give a dollar to a cashier when asked, but often I decline.

Once I got very annoyed and almost wrote a letter to the manager, because a clerk/cashier in Sweetbay in Bonita Springs harassed me. After I said no, he began saying things like "C'mon. Don't you want to feed some needy people? I'm sure you can afford it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Know someone that needs food? Buy them groceries. It's the only way that you can be guaranteed that every bit of your money goes to helping someone.
Agree and it makes perfect sense. There are also some food banks and churches/synagogues that give all donations to needy families. Nobody should go to bed hungry in America.

I know some people might criticize me for saying this, but don't forget the animals. So many pets have been abandoned and they need food too.

Last edited by justNancy; 07-15-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
If people don't ask, then most people won't give. That's why the Salvation Army has bell ringers in front of stores before Christmas. However, I completely understand, since it annoys me too. I smile and say "no thank you" or "I already gave" and hope I won't be asked a second time. When possible, I donate money or food to my favorite charities/causes, but it's really not anyone's business. I sometimes give a dollar to a cashier when asked, but often I decline.

Once I got very annoyed and almost wrote a letter to the manager, because a clerk/cashier in Sweetbay in Bonita Springs harassed me. After I said no, he began saying things like "C'mon. Don't you want to feed some needy people? I'm sure you can afford it."

Agree and it makes perfect sense. There are also some food banks and churches/synagogues that give all donations to needy families. Nobody should go to bed hungry in America.

I know some people might criticize me for saying this, but don't forget the animals. So many pets have been abandoned and they need food too.
Yes. Occasionally I give the dollar, too. But I understand the OP's frustration.

Girl, I would have wrote that letter. That was incredibly rude.

The only churches I've ever seen supply food is the Roman Catholic churches. If Saint Vincent de Paul is still around, I would highly recommend them, too. I know of synagogues that are very, very quiet about their giving but do so. Some protestant churches -- IN GENERAL -- are very stingy, I've found. The Salvation Army seems to have a good track record but I've heard some horrible things about Goodwill Industries.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
We'll both end up getting our hands slapped for going off-topic if we continue discussing this subject, but I disagree based on what I've seen since I've lived in Florida. Maybe it's been your personal experience that they're stingy, but I know of many Protestant and Independent Christian places of worship that generously offer food and clothing to the needy.

For example, on Thanksgiving the local Methodist Church served a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings. There was a donation box, but nobody asked for money from those attending. There was no religious service either. They also served dinner on Christmas for free to anyone who walked in the door. Every other Saturday they serve a full breakfast (eggs, sausage, pancakes, coffee) Anyone who is struggling is asked to come without any question or judgment.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 PM

That doesn't surprise me. I didn't know it when I lived in Florida but I've since found the Methodists to be good people. I've run across some fine Episcopalians, too. It's probably on a church-by-church basis, as opposed to a certain religion. I was brought up as a Lutheran and I've found them to be a bit cold, but once again, every church is not the same.

Of course I am sure you are familiar with tzedakah, something that I wish everyone would practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
We'll both end up getting our hands slapped for going off-topic if we continue discussing this subject, but I disagree based on what I've seen since I've lived in Florida. Maybe it's been your personal experience that they're stingy, but I know of many Protestant and Independent Christian places of worship that generously offer food and clothing to the needy.

For example, on Thanksgiving the local Methodist Church served a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings. There was a donation box, but nobody asked for money from those attending. There was no religious service either. They also served dinner on Christmas for free to anyone who walked in the door. Every other Saturday they serve a full breakfast (eggs, sausage, pancakes, coffee) Anyone who is struggling is asked to come without any question or judgment.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 AM

646 posts, read 1,641,940 times
How about when they ask you for a buck and then while you are answering them, the person bagging your groceries steals your cart and is half way out the door yelling "where's your car?". Everytime I go to Publix it is like a cart showdown. Who can grab it faster, me or the bagger? I know they work on tips. I have kids who help me with the groceries. I am also a pretty strong fit person, and when I get milk and a loaf of bread and you ask me if I need help to the car? I get offended. LOL Like they think I am uncapable.
Ok. I'm done. Sorry to have posted, but it kinda went with the whole groceryfrustrationbuck deal.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
Don't get me wrong....there's lots of great charities out there and we have many that we give to annually....and for some reason,I never pass a bell ringer without dropping in something when shopping around the holidays.
It's just being cornered at the register and asked for money when you went in to shop,that galls me.
Oh,by the way,I stopped giving to United Way when they cut the Boy Scouts of America off over they gay scoutmaster issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area