U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2011, 05:59 PM

613 posts, read 760,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Are you serious? The link says that Fort Myers is safer than 6% of the cities in the United States. It has a per capita crime rate of 530, compared to a national average of 319. That's high. Akron's crime rate is 565.

I have no idea why you're upset by this. We have said over and over on this forum that Cape Coral has a very low crime rate and Fort Myers has a high one. Suddenly this is an issue?

I've said many times that when you start comparing something with Detroit you've lost your way.

Think about it.

"I'm so excited! I've moved to paradise. It's safer than Detroit!"

Woo. Hoo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Hik it's the same thing as usual. Someone trying to make themselves feel better about where they are. I refuse to watch the news here anymore. FM is a crap hole.....
That's the thing - I am happy here. That's why I get "upset". While I may be the exception to the rule - I found a job (actually 2) within a month of moving here, I haven't complained about how hot it is during the summer, and to me the crime rate is not exorbitant as those trying to make it out to be.

Am I saying that there is no crime - I'm not. There's crime on Sanibel Island.

But I guess the opposite is true... its the same old people who are not happy living where they are need to spread their misery.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 PM

357 posts, read 384,857 times
akron's crime index was 7 on that website. maybe im missing something? any major metro will have far more crime, especially of the violent nature.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 PM

927 posts, read 1,006,697 times
Geographically, Fort Myers is spread out. The crime rate is not proportional from neighborhood to neighborhood within it. Saying "Fort Myers is dangerous" is like saying Philadelphia is dangerous. It's a big area....come on, folks.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 AM

3,538 posts, read 5,722,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
That's the thing - I am happy here. That's why I get "upset". While I may be the exception to the rule - I found a job (actually 2) within a month of moving here, I haven't complained about how hot it is during the summer, and to me the crime rate is not exorbitant as those trying to make it out to be.

Am I saying that there is no crime - I'm not. There's crime on Sanibel Island.

But I guess the opposite is true... its the same old people who are not happy living where they are need to spread their misery.
Sorry dude..... I live in Estero, leaps and bounds better than FM or CC..... You are right, there is barely any crime though in FM, once in a while someone robs a stagecoach, or some little whipper snapper steals a hand full of penny candy from the Olsens store.....

Not miserable where I am, but yes the weather and heat suck big time here...

Old 08-26-2011, 07:07 AM

98 posts, read 164,189 times
Living here my entire life (34 years) and working in public service I can tell you Fort Myers is a very diverse town. There are extremely safe areas of Ft Myers I would be happy raising my kids in and there are parts of Ft Myers I only go to while I am at work and my family will never go to.

Areas off Martin Luther King Blvd have been plagued by high crime since it was called Anderson Avenue. There are some terrific people there but it is not an area to move to. Also the Tice and Dunbar communities are plagued with high crime also unfortunately. It is a poor reflection on some of the good people I have met throughout the years there, basically a few ruining it for the rest. That said, the OP asked what areas to avoid and those are top on the list for those wanting to avoid crime. Also, I would stay away from Ortiz avenue and the Harlem Heights area of south Ft Myers. North Ft Myers I would stay away from Palmona Park as well as Suncoast.

Scott

Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 AM

1,915 posts, read 2,343,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott26 View Post
Living here my entire life (34 years) and working in public service I can tell you Fort Myers is a very diverse town. There are extremely safe areas of Ft Myers I would be happy raising my kids in and there are parts of Ft Myers I only go to while I am at work and my family will never go to.

Areas off Martin Luther King Blvd have been plagued by high crime since it was called Anderson Avenue. There are some terrific people there but it is not an area to move to. Also the Tice and Dunbar communities are plagued with high crime also unfortunately. It is a poor reflection on some of the good people I have met throughout the years there, basically a few ruining it for the rest. That said, the OP asked what areas to avoid and those are top on the list for those wanting to avoid crime. Also, I would stay away from Ortiz avenue and the Harlem Heights area of south Ft Myers. North Ft Myers I would stay away from Palmona Park as well as Suncoast.

Scott

scott, thanks for finally answering the question that was asked. I agree with your assessment whole heartedly. my first impression of ft myers was driving down macgregor toward sanibel , driving to ft myers airport to and from cape coral, miromar outlets, going to FT myers beach. I was thinking "wow, doesn't look even close to how people portray it, looked like a nice area. Then one day used the gps to go to coconut point and it brought me down through some pretty seedy areas around Martin luther King blvd. All I could think of is how the carribean islands had the resort areas that were beautiful, but if you went slightyly outside of them you could see how the "real people" lived, scary but also sad that there could be so much wealth and poverty so close to each other.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 AM

5 posts, read 22,482 times
I'm really surprised that people who live in this area of Florida (and openly hate it), decide to stay.

Not only that, but why spend time on a forum meant for people who are relocating and bad-mouth the area? Of course there will be crime. There is crime everywhere. I live in the PA boonies and there's crime here.

I joined this forum to get some insight on where I should be looking/not looking to live. I understand there are bad neighborhoods.

Had I known that everyone would be disagreeing with each other and taking over people's threads, I would've taken my questions elsewhere. I've had a really hard time finding anyone helpful. It's almost like you're competing with each other.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 AM

98 posts, read 164,189 times
Sunnie,

I answered th OP question directly. He or she asked in part about what areas to avoid. There are many nice places to live in Ft Myers when I get more time I will post about them as well, its easier to post about the few bad areas then list all the good.

Scott

Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM

843 posts, read 1,093,148 times
Scott26 brings up a good point about changing Anderson Ave to MLK blvd. Right after the death of Dr King,activists all over the country demanded that a street in their community be renamed for MLK.
Unfortunately,I don't think it did any good for the business' because when we are traveling and needing to stop for gas,food or a hotel......we avoid anything with that name,figuring it is not a very good area.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 3 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,002,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
That's the thing - I am happy here. That's why I get "upset".
But you live in Cape Coral. This is a thread about Fort Myers. Someone mentioned that there is a high crime rate in Fort Myers and pointed out that the link said it is safer than 6 percent of the rest of the country.

That's all.

I've also said that Cape Coral is one of the safest areas of Florida. In fact I got slammed by a retired cop for saying that several days ago. So let me rephrase that before I get it, again. Cape Coral has the second safest crime rate in Florida. That is per capita. Cape Coral have a very large land area.

Okay?

That's the problem with telling the truth. You always tick someone off.

To answer the OP. Stay out of most of the downtown area, especially near Palm Beach Blvd and MLK. Palm Beach at 75 is not great, either. Stay out of Pine Manor. Harlem Heights. In North Fort Myers, Suncoast Estates. Most of Lehigh Acres. The northeast section is probably the safest.

Alva is just lovely. You could also try Fort Myers Shores, Olga and Labelle. I wouldn't worry. Where you are working is in a very rural area of Florida and has maintained a lot of "Old Florida."

To the rest of you I bid "adieu." I've been very busy writing and just won't be able to give Florida advice any longer. Keep the faith. I love Florida. I think things will turn around and the newest crew that has moved in has a far better attitude than a lot of the folks that moved away. Everything happens for a reason.

If you are ever in the Knoxville, Tennessee area let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area