Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 17,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
You can look at the crime rates and statistics by neighborhoods in Ft Myers by going to the following web site:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
According to that map, all of Gateway is a high crime area. Is that true?

Tim

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
I'll miss your input Hik! Good luck with the writing.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 8,939 times
Hi Scott,

Thank you!!! for your post about areas of Fort Myers. You saved me, big time. I was about to buy a house in the Tice area not knowing the area coming from California. I wasn't told anything by anyone about the areas of Fort Myers. I read your post, checked it out with the local folks and without my telling them anything except where the house was that I was thinking of buying, I was told it was not at all safe for a single female. The number of sex offenders in the area is beyond belief. I didn't know. The website for Lee County Sheriff, clicking under Crime, tells all about each area. Wow! I was shocked. Your post saved my personal safety beyond what you can imagine. I am so thankful for you and people like you who tell the truth about something so important when they have personal experience. I learned the areas you pointed out in your post is called The Triangle of Crime - from MLK Blvd to Palm Beach Blvd. to Ortiz. Who knew from out of town???? Again, thank you! Keep up posting, you will help so many people, so many women especially, like me. Thank you!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:49 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Grew up in Lee County and my folks still reside there so here's my general take. The areas to avoid are Tice, Dunbar, MLK, Ortiz Ave., Palm Beach Ave, Pine Manor, parts of Lehigh, Charleston Park and Harlem Heights. I've heard that some parts of San Carlos and Fort Myers Shores are not as nice as they used to be but I'm not well informed enough to say avoid these areas. North Fort Myers also has some rough patches, but there usually run down trailer parks so I'm sure you can figure that out on your own. Not enough info on Cape or Bonita to give you any informed advice. Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 AM

98 posts, read 368,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValFMF View Post
Hi Scott,

Thank you!!! for your post about areas of Fort Myers. You saved me, big time. I was about to buy a house in the Tice area not knowing the area coming from California. I wasn't told anything by anyone about the areas of Fort Myers. I read your post, checked it out with the local folks and without my telling them anything except where the house was that I was thinking of buying, I was told it was not at all safe for a single female. The number of sex offenders in the area is beyond belief. I didn't know. The website for Lee County Sheriff, clicking under Crime, tells all about each area. Wow! I was shocked. Your post saved my personal safety beyond what you can imagine. I am so thankful for you and people like you who tell the truth about something so important when they have personal experience. I learned the areas you pointed out in your post is called The Triangle of Crime - from MLK Blvd to Palm Beach Blvd. to Ortiz. Who knew from out of town???? Again, thank you! Keep up posting, you will help so many people, so many women especially, like me. Thank you!
ValFMF,

Glad I was able to help. Lee County has some very, very safe places to live that are in great neigborhoods, unfortunately Tice is not one of them. I have met some good people there though, just not a good place to live. Please feel free to message me through city-data if I can help out again.

Scott

Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Grew up in Lee County and my folks still reside there so here's my general take. The areas to avoid are Tice, Dunbar, MLK, Ortiz Ave., Palm Beach Ave, Pine Manor, parts of Lehigh, Charleston Park and Harlem Heights. I've heard that some parts of San Carlos and Fort Myers Shores are not as nice as they used to be but I'm not well informed enough to say avoid these areas. North Fort Myers also has some rough patches, but there usually run down trailer parks so I'm sure you can figure that out on your own. Not enough info on Cape or Bonita to give you any informed advice. Hope this helps.
You forgot to mention Cape Coma

Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 AM

187 posts, read 181,794 times
[quote=scott26;20615976]Living here my entire life (34 years) and working in public service I can tell you Fort Myers is a very diverse town. There are extremely safe areas of Ft Myers I would be happy raising my kids in and there are parts of Ft Myers I only go to while I am at work and my family will never go to.

True, also crime rates in fort myers have decreased dramatically in the past 10 years , north fort myers and cape coral have lower crime rates, but they are ugly towns with crappy looking neighborhoods and trailer parks all over the place, I prefer the downtown and historic districs of fort myers, Tampa and St. Pete ARRRHHHH, I used to live in the area, and I thought it is a crap hole, I saw a guy taking a crap at raw daylight in downtown Tampa....

Old 12-10-2011, 10:12 AM

72 posts, read 177,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I've heard that some parts of San Carlos and Fort Myers Shores are not as nice as they used to be but I'm not well informed enough to say avoid these.
When I left in 08' San Carlos park wasn't great but there are good and bad areas within. Fort myers shores I am not so sure about. SW cape and the yacht club area is nice just avoid the rest.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Location: Long Island, NY & The Somerset at the Plantation, Fort Myers, FL
95 posts, read 213,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqtmg2 View Post
According to that map, all of Gateway is a high crime area. Is that true?

Tim
I'm not sure what map you're looking at but I know parts of Gateway are adjacent to Leigh High Acres and that may be true in some instances, but from where I've traveled through, Gateway is among the nicer areas of Fort Myers.

Don't get too hung up on some of the negative comments you see here. Some opinions here, taken at face value, one would think all of FM rivals the south Bronx, but the reality is that most of the areas outside of the city proper are quite nice. Quite true about the area surrounding MLK Blvd., and the City in it's infinite wisdom forces you to go there to turn on your utilities because the city department is on MLK Blvd. That was a real eye opener for me, I must admit. But the fact that it took me 25 minutes to drive there in light traffic was gratifying.

The fact is that there is a disconnect between the realities of Fort Myers and some of the negative stereotypes portrayed here and are simply not consistent. My guess is that some people have never lived anywhere else other than the area and have no idea what a real 'Hood looks like.

And if you're moving to the area you'll spot an undesirable section as soon as you drive up to the property.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 PM

98 posts, read 368,736 times
[quote=miss yauco;22062100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott26 View Post
True, also crime rates in fort myers have decreased dramatically in the past 10 years , north fort myers and cape coral have lower crime rates, but they are ugly towns with crappy looking neighborhoods and trailer parks all over the place, I prefer the downtown and historic districs of fort myers, Tampa and St. Pete ARRRHHHH, I used to live in the area, and I thought it is a crap hole, I saw a guy taking a crap at raw daylight in downtown Tampa....
"Crappy looking" and "ugly"? Well everyone has a right to there opinion but I dont consider Cape Coral as either "ugly" or especially "crappy". Again though thats a matter of opinion.

What you could not possibly be more wrong about is Cape Coral having trailer parks "all over the place". Cape Coral is the second biggest city in the state of Florida in land size. It is a town of well over 100,000 people. It has a grand total of one trailer park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area