Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 AM

410 posts, read 829,543 times

Advertisements

1) Is it as laid back as I hear it is? I like that.

2) Are rents there lower than Miami or still pretty high?

3) Is it an okay place for a 40 ish single lady?

4) Jobs? Is it anymore recessed than the rest of the nation or about the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,070,979 times
More laid-back. High crime in Fort Myers, compared to Cape Coral and Estero but it will feel like less than Miami.

Miami's unemployment rate is 11.3 and Fort Myers/Cape Coral's is 11.6, so about the same. Maybe a little worse since there are less businesses and jobs in the Fort Myers area.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
More laid-back. High crime in Fort Myers, compared to Cape Coral and Estero but it will feel like less than Miami.

Miami's unemployment rate is 11.3 and Fort Myers/Cape Coral's is 11.6, so about the same. Maybe a little worse since there are less businesses and jobs in the Fort Myers area.
I wouldn't mind commuting up to an hour for a decent job....

Old 09-08-2011, 01:37 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,499,880 times
Here are some job search sites you can look into. Be sure to have a job before you make the move. Jobs are very hard to come by in this entire area.

www.employflorida.com, www.indeed.com, www.simplyhired.com, www.jobfocus.com, www.careerbuilder.com.

Unemployment in the area June 2011
Lee County 11.6
Charlotte County 11.1
Desoto County 9.9
Sarasota County 10.8

Here are my recommendations for moving to an area that you are unfamiliar with.

How to choose the right neighborhood
One of the most important things to determine when moving is location, location, location. How do you know what neighborhood is right for you? Here is a list that might help you.

1. Would you enjoy living there?
2. How far of a commute is it from work, school, shopping, hospitals, restaurants, parks, entertainment and transportation? Take a test drive.
3. Drive through the neighborhood to get an idea of what it is like. You may want to go at different times throughout the day. What is the noise and traffic level?
4. Does the neighborhood have curb appeal? It is well maintained? Does it have nice landscaping?
5. Does the neighborhood fit in with your demographics? Are you looking for a family friendly neighborhood, a deed restricted neighborhood, a 55 and older retirement neighborhood, or a high or low income neighborhood?
6. Price makes all the difference. Do some research to find out the price range of the neighborhoods so that you can eliminate ones that do not fit within your budget.
7. Check to see what the neighborhood crime statistics are. Look around for graffiti or other signs of criminal activity. Check with local police or check the police blotter in the local newspaper. You want to live in a safe neighborhood.
8. Be aware of any new construction or zoning laws that may be in the neighborhood.
9. If you are choosing a deed restricted community with a homeowner association, find out what the fees are?

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 PM

Thank you, TAmRE. Very good tips. I am not looking to buy a home, though, just rent. I know that I can't be too picky because my budget is low. But yeah, I certainly would like to avoid a high crime area.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,499,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
Thank you, TAmRE. Very good tips. I am not looking to buy a home, though, just rent. I know that I can't be too picky because my budget is low. But yeah, I certainly would like to avoid a high crime area.

Here are some places you can look for rentals in Ft. Myers.
Ebay Classifieds – Ft Myers – Cape Coral fort myers,fl | Dogs | TVs | Jobs | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) - Page 1

Florida Rental Ads – Ft Myers - Florida Homes for Rent, Houses for Rent in Florida, Florida Home Rentals

Real Rentals – Ft Myers – Houses For Rent

Rentals.com – Ft Myers - Rentals.com - Homes for Rent, Apartments, Houses for Rent, Townhomes, Condos & Vacation Rental Properties

RentRange – Ft Myers - http://www.rentrange.com/

Craigslist – Ft Myers - craigslist: ft myers / SW florida classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area