U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 AM
 
31 posts, read 47,478 times
Reputation: 33
Default Occupy Fort Myers, or don't.

I came across this article the other day on google news. The sixth page, in fact. FThe fact that the first I heard of it was an announcement of postponement sums up the whole affair pretty well for me. The article alludes to "the spirit of the 60s", which I'm personally quite far removed from as a matter of both age and sentiment. Even without the substantial logistical issues I have to doubt any possible effectiveness of an exercise like this.

Anyway, here's the article and the facebook page. What do you guys think?

Fort Myers will be 'occupied' at a later date | The News-Press | news-press.com

Occupy Fort Myers | Facebook

 
Old 10-07-2011, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral
4,903 posts, read 2,773,242 times
Reputation: 1752
Proposed List Of Demands For Occupy Wall St Movement! | OccupyWallSt.org Forum
If everyone reads this list the movement will gain very little traction. 1. Open borders, 2. Forgive all loans and mortgages to everyone, 3. Everyone receives a living wage whether employed or not. What garbage.
 
Old 10-07-2011, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral FL
2,750 posts, read 3,344,416 times
Reputation: 1145
Damned commies..........

YC.......
 
Old 10-07-2011, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities, MN 55337, Outing, MN 56662, and Cape Coral, FL 33904
96 posts, read 89,376 times
Reputation: 57
These idiots plan to protest here in MN too. A pathetic attempt to counter the Tea Party Movement's momentum and popularity. Good luck with that... 1/21/13 is when the REAL "hope and (change)" will begin.
 
Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,626 posts, read 30,614,184 times
Reputation: 11691
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Proposed List Of Demands For Occupy Wall St Movement! | OccupyWallSt.org Forum
If everyone reads this list the movement will gain very little traction. 1. Open borders, 2. Forgive all loans and mortgages to everyone, 3. Everyone receives a living wage whether employed or not. What garbage.
That list is nuts. As far as I know that is not an official list. A good portion of these protests are kids. But movements always have muddled beginnings. It doesn't change the fact that, United States, we have a problem.

In my opinion, the real issue is we have veered away from our beginnings. Our problem is with politicians listening to campaign contributors and not their constituents. Period. Change that and we are back on course. Don't and we are doomed.

Striking The Root of Wall Street Corruption on Vimeo
 
Old 10-07-2011, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral
4,903 posts, read 2,773,242 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That list is nuts. As far as I know that is not an official list. A good portion of these protests are kids. But movements always have muddled beginnings. It doesn't change the fact that, United States, we have a problem.

In my opinion, the real issue is we have veered away from our beginnings. Our problem is with politicians listening to campaign contributors and not their constituents. Period. Change that and we are back on course. Don't and we are doomed.

Striking The Root of Wall Street Corruption on Vimeo
I agree that well funded lobbyists have way too much influence on politicians decisions. But those lobbyists are not just bankers and oil companies. They are also unions, environmental groups and political action committees funded by a few wealthy folks, like Moveon.org. (and right wing groups)
Grass root organizations are the constituents, like the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street. The Tea Party has a clear message: smaller government with less spending and smaller deficits; follow the constitution; and support for the free enterprise system. Occupy Wall Street seems to be a group for anarchy, and socialism; take money from the most successful and richest 1% and give it to the other 99%.
The Tea Party has peaceful, legal rallies and clean up after themselves. Occupy has rallies that break the law, have hundreds of arrests and leave a path of garbage and stench. It has cost NYC $2 Million for the police to keep the group under control.
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 PM
 
31 posts, read 47,478 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by st468 View Post
These idiots plan to protest here in MN too. A pathetic attempt to counter the Tea Party Movement's momentum and popularity. Good luck with that... 1/21/13 is when the REAL "hope and (change)" will begin.
This isn't anything official, it's just a proposal on their forum from one rather... disconnected person. Judging by the comments it doesn't even seem to be that well received by the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The Tea Party has a clear message: smaller government with less spending and smaller deficits;
I think you'll remember that a few years back the Tea Party wasn't quite so well organized. In fact, it wasn't extremely different from what this group is now. It's only recently that they've managed to distance themselves from fringe characters.

Quote:
follow the constitution;
To be quite frank the constitution is fairly outdated. Excluding a few amendments of varying importance, it predates countless changes in the world and, in my opinion, to follow it as some sort of gospel is simply foolish.

Quote:
Occupy Wall Street seems to be a group for anarchy, and socialism;
Both of these terms have been reduced to meaningless buzzwords. Calling something socialism does not in itself constitute a valid argument, and, no offense, seems like a putrid remnant of cold war era indoctrination.

Would you decry public education, free clinics, et cetera as socialism and have them done away with? Because, you know, they technically qualify as such.

Quote:
take money from the most successful and richest 1% and give it to the other 99%.
Executive pay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wealth Distribution
http://www.workinglife.org/wiki/Wages+and+Benefits:+Real+Wages+(1964-2004 (broken link))
Distribution of wealth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know what else to say.
 
Old 10-07-2011, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,626 posts, read 30,614,184 times
Reputation: 11691
Yada, yada, yada, unions, yada, tea partiers, yada, socialism.

Same old, same old.

Our problem is with politicians listening to campaign contributors and not their constituents. Period.
 
Old 10-08-2011, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Fort Myers FL/ Ottawa ON
1,205 posts, read 1,913,390 times
Reputation: 430
These sorts of gatherings are very useful for security entities to update their databases on the local subversive populations
 
Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Cape Coral FL
2,750 posts, read 3,344,416 times
Reputation: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yada, yada, yada, unions, yada, tea partiers, yada, socialism.

Same old, same old.

Our problem is with politicians listening to campaign contributors and not their constituents. Period.

I agree in principal. But that is the root of what is taking place now.

However, when one is aware of the how the hegelian dialect operates (create a crisis, then propose the solution) a favorite tactic of the left, and adapted for use by any that understand it.

These protesters (on both sides of the fence) are being played by their political masters, who will use the chaos to their political gain.

Kroeran also makes a very good point, the "protest" itself may not be illegal (yet) but people (they)are watching to see whom is protesting what. Always best to keep a low profile so you dont find yourself attached to a movement that gets hijacked by extremists advocating things you ordinarily wouldnt. (Nazi Germany comes to mind, many jumped on the bandwagon that took them strait to hell).

With economic collapse almost certain any day now in the eurozone, that will send ripples across the world, people getting uppity everywhere because of it, and the powers that be well aware of what is coming down the pike, dont delude yourself that "they" arent watching closely.

Get prepared, things can only go one of two ways now, better or worse. Ask yourself, from the heart, which way do you think it is trending right now?

Yachtcare is just sayin'.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top