U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 AM

2,100 posts, read 2,050,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejame View Post
Thanks for the input from everyone. The job situation is not an issue for us, thank God. Yes, we want to buy, but of course we are not rushing into anything until we find the right area. I'm more curious about the more desirable areas to live in. I completely understand that every city has it's good and bad. I just want to stay away from the bad lol! It's hard because I can watch the local news online from those cities or read the papers but it's not the same as knowing what the people know. People get robbed and killed in the most exclusive neighborhoods, it happens everywhere, so I can't base my decision off of stuff like that.

I've been to FL during August so I know all about the ridiculous heat and humidity, it's the same here after all, even if it is for 3 or 4 months, I'm just tired of having all four seasons. It snowed last night and I'm so annoyed, it's only October! I've never been to Fort Myers, however. We will be taking a week long vacation before we buy and would like to find something during that week so I just want some ideas of neighborhoods to search in.

Don't get me wrong, I love RI, but for us it seems to be a dead end. It's a small state, and we just want to experience more and have more options and more opportunities. We've had a lot of family relocate to Miami, which doesn't seem like the place to raise a family...but I like the idea of Fort Lauderdale. So thanks again for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated!
You know I think on the Fla board we see too many posts of people who vacation here and think thats how life really is in fla and want to move. So you visited in Aug. you think you know the heat? Sept is usually worse and that heat doesn't last for 3 months. I've had my a/c on since March.. its STILL on today its gnna be in the upper 80's. Its still over 100 degrees in my car when I get in, we're talking NOV. We had WEEKS years back ( and this year too) where it was triple digits every day. You're life isn't gonna be about going to the beach and tiki huts all summer long.. And in the winter u'll leave ur house an hour early to travel the 4 miles it'll take u to get to work and hope to god some snowbird didn't crash his car into a palm tree while looking at a coconut which will stop traffic an extra 45 mins. You'll avoid the roads every day between 7-9 and 3-6 as they're undriveable and enduce abusrd amounts of road rage.

I wonder what you'll find in SWFL? RI is a dead end? You're near Boston and NY and Providence.. SWFL is near nothing except Miami which is 2 hours away and Tampa and Orlando 2 and 4 hours away .. We are secluded in the SW portion of Florda not near enough to any cities of any significance. SWFL is a RETIREMENT community you realize that right? I hope you don't think there is anything worth mentioning as far as happenings go and opportunities in a town that caters to snowbirds half the year and shuts down the other half. We have a few art festivals in the winter, a christmas parade and thats about it. In the summer forget it you won't find anything around town going on. We don't have things like museums here and the only cultural events you'll find is the weekly ICE line of of illegals being shipped out

Infact Naples/FT. Myers came in number 1 in the COUNTRY for depending on visitors money to run.. What exactly are you looking for as far as exceling in life? Every young person I know has hightailed it out of here myself and my husband are on our way too. We would never DREAM of raising our daughter down here. Kids are an inconvience to most of the residents here and the other half don't want to be bothered while on their "vacation" from the north. Crime is shooting through the roof even in Naples, schools are notorious for being "below average" and lots of drugs and illegals live in the area.. Check naples daily news for their arrest log.. see whats doing the crimes.

I'm the same age as you "late 20's" and my night life days are behind me too and I can tell you there is only so much beach you can do (when we dont' have red tide so the beach is covered in rotting fish and u can't step outside without a sore throat and itchy eyes) and in the summer I promise it'll be too hot to go to the beach. There is a huge influx of young people leaving the area, almost all the people I know or are friends with have left or are on their way out. Most of my college class left to go to school elsewhere becasue there were no opportunites for young people once they go out. Unless you plan on waiting on the snowbirds in a resturant or wiping their a** in the hospital u won't find room for moving up here.

You are gonna move to Ft. Myers without ever visiting there? Most of swfls "finest" live in the Ft. Myers/Lehigh acres area. Why? cause its cheaper...I wish I had a dollar for how many times prostitution rings are busted up there and shootings and robberies. I'd be rich enough to leave tomorrow.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 11-03-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:06 PM

693 posts, read 786,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
You know I think on the Fla board we see too many posts of people who vacation here and think thats how life really is in fla and want to move. So you visited in Aug. you think you know the heat? Sept is usually worse and that heat doesn't last for 3 months. I've had my a/c on since March.. its STILL on today its gnna be in the upper 80's. Its still over 100 degrees in my car when I get in, we're talking NOV. We had WEEKS years back ( and this year too) where it was triple digits every day. You're life isn't gonna be about going to the beach and tiki huts all summer long.. And in the winter u'll leave ur house an hour early to travel the 4 miles it'll take u to get to work and hope to god some snowbird didn't crash his car into a palm tree while looking at a coconut which will stop traffic an extra 45 mins. You'll avoid the roads every day between 7-9 and 3-6 as they're undriveable and enduce abusrd amounts of road rage.

I wonder what you'll find in SWFL? RI is a dead end? You're near Boston and NY and Providence.. SWFL is near nothing except Miami which is 2 hours away and Tampa and Orlando 2 and 4 hours away .. We are secluded in the SW portion of Florda not near enough to any cities of any significance. SWFL is a RETIREMENT community you realize that right? I hope you don't think there is anything worth mentioning as far as happenings go and opportunities in a town that caters to snowbirds half the year and shuts down the other half. We have a few art festivals in the winter, a christmas parade and thats about it. In the summer forget it you won't find anything around town going on. We don't have things like museums here and the only cultural events you'll find is the weekly ICE line of of illegals being shipped out

Infact Naples/FT. Myers came in number 1 in the COUNTRY for depending on visitors money to run.. What exactly are you looking for as far as exceling in life? Every young person I know has hightailed it out of here myself and my husband are on our way too. We would never DREAM of raising our daughter down here. Kids are an inconvience to most of the residents here and the other half don't want to be bothered while on their "vacation" from the north. Crime is shooting through the roof even in Naples, schools are notorious for being "below average" and lots of drugs and illegals live in the area.. Check naples daily news for their arrest log.. see whats doing the crimes.

I'm the same age as you "late 20's" and my night life days are behind me too and I can tell you there is only so much beach you can do (when we dont' have red tide so the beach is covered in rotting fish and u can't step outside without a sore throat and itchy eyes) and in the summer I promise it'll be too hot to go to the beach. There is a huge influx of young people leaving the area, almost all the people I know or are friends with have left or are on their way out. Most of my college class left to go to school elsewhere becasue there were no opportunites for young people once they go out. Unless you plan on waiting on the snowbirds in a resturant or wiping their a** in the hospital u won't find room for moving up here.

You are gonna move to Ft. Myers without ever visiting there? Most of swfls "finest" live in the Ft. Myers/Lehigh acres area. Why? cause its cheaper...I wish I had a dollar for how many times prostitution rings are busted up there and shootings and robberies. I'd be rich enough to leave tomorrow.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Just another person pissed off at the world. First of all there were never, have never and are never weeks of triple digit heat in SWFL. Yes it's hot, but it hasn't reached 100 degrees since 1981. Next, If you have had your air on since March, you are seriously just wasting money, unless your home doubles as a giant walk in freezer. The highs the past week plus have generally been in the high 70's with lows in the low 60's, if you need to have your a/c on now you might want to look into moving to Antartica. I actually heard people complaining it was cold last weekend. I am not sure what weather forecast you are watching, but there are no highs in the upper 80's in sight for the foreseeable future. It is never TOO hot to go to the beach. I'd also like to point out that August is by far the hottest month in Florida, not September.

The traffic gets worse during the winter, but it's not even nearly as bad as you are making it out to be. I drive all over the area everyday for work during all hours of the day. On most days I can get from Matlacha to the beach in well under an hour. There are also tooooons of things to do here or within an hours drive year around. Of course there is more during the season, but there is always something going on. Parades, farmers market, different festivals, car shows, art walks. Not to mention all the outdoor type stuff like fishing, boating, the beaches, the everglades, fan boat rides, kayaking, biking. Also like you said, Tampa and Miami are just 2 hours away, Orlando and The Keys are 4 hours away. Just because you can't entertain yourself or find things to do that suite you, doesn't mean there aren't things to do. I haven't sat in my house for an entire weekend with nothing to do since I lived in Connecticut 6 years ago.

Kids are an inconvenience? That's news to me. There are tons and tons of families here. TONS! If you live in or near a 55+ community than maybe I can understand that, but with the abundance of parks in the area, it's quite the contrary. Yes restaurants get busier, but if you would spend some time checking things out, you would find there are certain times of day where you can walk right in and sit down at nearly every place in the area. If you want to eat dinner between 4-6 pm like the other 85% of the population, then yes it will seem like a madhouse. The crime in some of Ft. Myers and Lehigh are through the roof. But to say that crime in SWFL is through the roof is generic. Naples crime index is less than half of the national average and has had 4 murders total in 14 years and everyone knows Cape Coral is one of the safest cities in the country. Lee County as a whole has is far below average in the way of crime. And last but not least, red tide. This year is the first time we have had red tide in like 10 years and I haven't seen or know anyone who has seen one dead fish in person and haven't had or know anyone that has had any issues with a sore throat or itchy eyes due to red tide.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am looking forward to the day you leave as much as you are, just with hopes you stop with all the negative, ill will you have for the area. Almost your entire post was just made up, one sided drivel completely based upon your own feelings and not factual in any way, shape or form and I hope people take your views with a grain of salt. No matter where you live, it is only going to be as good as you make it. I've been here nearly my entire life, I love it here and never plan on leaving and there are a lot of people here that feel that way too! I am also wondering what college you went to, that way I can avoid it. If you have a college degree and speak, spell or type the way you do, you should get a refund for your education or lack there of immediately.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 PM

21,609 posts, read 29,757,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Almost your entire post was just made up, one sided drivel completely based upon your own feelings and not factual in any way, shape or form and I hope people take your views with a grain of salt. No matter where you live, it is only going to be as good as you make it. I've been here nearly my entire life, I love it here and never plan on leaving and there are a lot of people here that feel that way too! I am also wondering what college you went to, that way I can avoid it. If you have a college degree and speak, spell or type the way you do, you should get a refund for your education or lack there of immediately.
Really? You might want to get your story straight.

At the end of May you said you had just moved to Branford, CT from Westbrook, CT. At that point you said you would leave CT in December.

Large Towns near Clinton?

Nine days later you said he had already moved to Florida from CT but spent a month the past winter visiting family in CT.

Mosquitos everywhere

That same day, in another post, you said you lived in CT for the past year.

Single, 30 years old, female-move to Naples

In this post you haven't lived in CT for six years.

Quote:
I haven't sat in my house for an entire weekend with nothing to do since I lived in Connecticut 6 years ago.
It looks like you change the story to make your point over and over again.

By the way, this is not true, either, but that's not a surprise.

Quote:
This year is the first time we have had red tide in like 10 years and I haven't seen or know anyone who has seen one dead fish in person and haven't had or know anyone that has had any issues with a sore throat or itchy eyes due to red tide.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:56 AM

2,100 posts, read 2,050,266 times
I stand by my post aand thanks for yours Hiknapster, and as I recall Ft. Myers and northward are having red tide issues and have been for Oct. I KNOW we've had red tide in the past 10 years for a fact (I've lived here 27). It also doesn't have to bloom directly on a Naples beach to effect the residents
Not gonna reach the 80's this week? Really... winknews website if you need a ref.

..hasn't reached 100? Ever heard of heat index? its what it FEELS like that matters. Do you not factor in windchill up north ? Why wouldn't u factor in heat index down here?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/hot.png (broken link)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/270015_10150722930175634_536245633_20074670_355760 7_n.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 11-05-2011 at 08:27 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Really? You might want to get your story straight.

At the end of May you said you had just moved to Branford, CT from Westbrook, CT. At that point you said you would leave CT in December.

Large Towns near Clinton?

I own 19 houses. 13 in Connecticut, 5 in Ft. Myers and 1 in West Palm. The post above was written in May. At which time I had just bought a condo on the Long Island Sound, in Branford. I was only in Connecticut for about 2 weeks. I therefore moved from the cottage I own in Clinton to the condo I recently bought. As stated below I have family in CT, so I keep a place to stay for myself, because I visit frequently, usually in the summer and around holidays. I was in CT for almost the entire month of May, I was actually planning on staying until after Christmas, but had business in Florida and left the first week of June and actually haven't been back since. I am however leaving next week for the rest of November.

Nine days later you said he had already moved to Florida from CT but spent a month the past winter visiting family in CT.

Mosquitos everywhere

The post above has absolutely no relevance to anything, it simply states that I moved to Florida from Connecticut. I was born in Chicago. Moved to Naples when I was 4, moved to Cape Coral at 12. After high school I joined the Navy at 17 (also maintained a condo in Ft. Myers, which I visited frequently, since my parents were here). Got out of the Navy, in Groton, Connecticut. Went to college in Connecticut as well. Finished school stayed for a couple years. While there I got into the real estate market a little bit (keep in mind, I still own property in Florida so I was still coming down for about a week a month). I then moved back to Ft. Myers, where I have been since, actually over 6 years now. (all the while maintaining a house in Connecticut) I would consider my home in Florida, but I am usually gone for an average of a week a month I'd say. I was unfortunately stuck there for almost the entire month of January, which was miserable, hence the month I spent with family. Not rocket science buddy.

That same day, in another post, you said you lived in CT for the past year.

Single, 30 years old, female-move to Naples

A year was a little bit of an exaggeration and it wasn't even full time, it was probably about a 6 month period from August to January where I was spending about a half a month in each state, so it felt like I was never in Florida, especially in the winter time and the month of January.

In this post you haven't lived in CT for six years.

I never considered myself living in Connecticut except when I was going to school, which I had no choice, especially for tuition purposes.

It looks like you change the story to make your point over and over again.

The story has never changed. You just took pieces of the story you found would fit your purpose and constructed your own.

By the way, this is not true, either, but that's not a surprise.

Ok, please inform me of the last time red tide has hit this area, before recently, oh great one.

I would like to point out your fantastic detective skills, well done. Not only did you waste seemingly hours out of your life to make a point that actually didn't workout, but you somehow managed to make yourself look even more ridiculous than usual in the process, so kudos on that too. If I had the power I would give you a nice, shiny, new, silver badge and anoint you the Ft. Myers - Cape Coral Area Forum Chief of Police, but I don't, so sorry. But I will still look upon you as if you were a genuine officer of the law. Keep up the good work bucko!
Good work!! I'm sure your friends and family would be proud. Maybe next time you can research my college degree to find out if it's real" Or see if I was actually born in the United States? Perhaps my income isn't being taxed properly? Good luck with your further endeavors into trying to destroy my online character, in a chat room, in which people use nicknames and most likely never cross paths in real life. I can see it now, "Hey look there's that Billythepokerkid from the forum, man that poor guy's whole life was destroyed by Hiknapster the other day, damn shame!" Now I must go cry myself to sleep and contemplate suicide, thanks!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I stand by my post aand thanks for yours Hiknapster, and as I recall Ft. Myers and northward are having red tide issues and have been for Oct. I KNOW we've had red tide in the past 10 years for a fact (I've lived here 27). It also doesn't have to bloom directly on a Naples beach to effect the residents
Not gonna reach the 80's this week? Really... winknews website if you need a ref.

..hasn't reached 100? Ever heard of heat index? its what it FEELS like that matters. Do you not factor in windchill up north ? Why wouldn't u factor in heat index down here?

This is what you said! "its STILL on today its gnna be in the upper 80's"..... you said upper 80's. In the next 10 days it is forecast to hit 80 only 3 times with the highest being 82 tomorrow. You said it was UPPER 80's the day you wrote the post, when in fact that day the high was only 77. The dew point and humidity have also been way down, so when it's 77 it feels like it's 77.

Also you NEVER said anything about heat index, you said "We had WEEKS years back ( and this year too) where it was triple digits every day", which just isn't true. With the heat index it gets to triple digits, but the temp is never triple digits. You post temps of 90 in the middle of the summer, of course it is hot I don't disagree with you, but it's not 100 degrees, it's that simple.

I live on Ft. Myers Beach and am on the beach right now, there are people all over. There are at least 50 boats within sight right now, that appear to be enjoying this wonderful day in Southwest Florida.There is not one dead fish and no one is leaving because they are getting a sore throat or burning eyes. The bloom was 15-20 miles off Gasparilla. There have been no effects of this on Ft. Myers Beach. Which means it's impossible for there to be effects of this as far South as Naples.

The fact remains, we all get the point, you hate it here and that's fine. Unless someone has a gun to your head and is forcing you to stay, just leave and stop trying to ruin it for other people that might enjoy it here. If you have lived here your entire life, you have quite a wake up call coming if and when you move North. Giving an opinion is one thing, you just consistently bash with the same ridiculous comments about it being hot and there never being anything to do. Get out of your house and go do something.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Red tide has bloomed numerous times in the past ten years. In fact, I can remember being particularly sick from it during the spring of 2003. We have a thread on the front page of the Fort Myers forum regarding a recent outbreak that occurred a few weeks ago.

Newcomers: Learn dead rotting fish in the water, on beaches

But there is an archival map regarding red tide, preserved for posterity.

HAB Archived Status Maps

Old 11-05-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Red tide has bloomed numerous times in the past ten years. In fact, I can remember being particularly sick from it during the spring of 2003. We have a thread on the front page of the Fort Myers forum regarding a recent outbreak that occurred a few weeks ago.

Newcomers: Learn dead rotting fish in the water, on beaches

But there is an archival map regarding red tide, preserved for posterity.

HAB Archived Status Maps

I said like 10 years, so 2003 was over 8 years, sorry I was off a little bit. The bloom right now is not affecting this area. I was on the beach earlier this morning there are no dead fish and no sore throats, burning eyes or sick people. There were dead fish on Boca Grande and Gasparilla, but that is not Ft. Myers, Sanibel, Bonita or Naples.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Fort Myers Beach, February 2011.

Red drift algae lining Fort Myers Beach - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

I could go on and on about red tide on FMB but the links I provided will help anyone that is interested in how often it occurs in the area.

Of course this has veered far off topic from the original poster asking about relocating from Rhode Island. The continued discussion has provided more info than she bargained for, I'm sure. It's never a good idea to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Further posts should probably be put in the appropriate thread.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 AM

4,864 posts, read 2,611,199 times
I like the summer here. It is better for swimming and is balmy at night. Of course, I don't have to work outside full time. I don't find bugs a problem as I feared before coming here. I like the thunderstorms and sunsets they create.
There are so many young families. That was a surprise to me too. We had a great turnout for Halloween this year. Even some of the parents dressed up with their kids.
There is plenty to do if you like beaches, boating, swimming, golfing, eating out and shopping. Also, there are so many places to drive to that are close by. Downtown Fort Myers is cool. Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Tampa are 2 hours away and Disney is less than a 3 hour drive. There are shorter trips to Naples, Matlacha, Punta Gorda, Sarasota.
Of all the places to retire to in the U.S. I picked this area. If I was trying to start a career to make a ton of money maybe I would not want to be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area