Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Were you in Cape Coral during Charley?

Yes, spent a week without power. Lined up in the Albertson's (now Publix) parking lot on CC Pkwy for a bag of ice from the back of a semi.

Vowed to never again be caught without being prepared, and why I tend to preach "preparation" at every opportunity.

It was just a bit over a year after Charley, that Wilma paid a visit. This area wasnt as badly affected as it had been a year earlier. While there were still some smaller outages, most of the trees prone to losing their limbs had done so already....so Kev's neighborhood is probably in good shape, for the next few years to come anyway.

As for the birds,............... I too have noticed that about half of my usual group is planning a short stay this season, cant say there is anything of a sinister nature behind it however.

Will see later this upcoming week what the annual boat show downtown looks like. Last year was the smallest show in many, many years......

YC.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
Still w/o power and begining to hear stories about people being taken dead out of their homes dead, wrapped in blankets. And people being killed walking from limbs falling out of trees that had broken off and were hung up. Of course I can't confirm any of these stories because I don't have cable either. Despite these tragedies I think I would prefer a power outage in the fall vs summer.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Yes, spent a week without power. Lined up in the Albertson's (now Publix) parking lot on CC Pkwy for a bag of ice from the back of a semi.

Vowed to never again be caught without being prepared, and why I tend to preach "preparation" at every opportunity.

It was just a bit over a year after Charley, that Wilma paid a visit. This area wasnt as badly affected as it had been a year earlier. While there were still some smaller outages, most of the trees prone to losing their limbs had done so already....so Kev's neighborhood is probably in good shape, for the next few years to come anyway.

As for the birds,............... I too have noticed that about half of my usual group is planning a short stay this season, cant say there is anything of a sinister nature behind it however.

Will see later this upcoming week what the annual boat show downtown looks like. Last year was the smallest show in many, many years......

YC.......
We moved just before Wilma, thank goodness. Still, it didn't affect Cape Coral like Charley did.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 AM

616 posts, read 1,563,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Still w/o power and begining to hear stories about people being taken dead out of their homes dead, wrapped in blankets. And people being killed walking from limbs falling out of trees that had broken off and were hung up. Of course I can't confirm any of these stories because I don't have cable either. Despite these tragedies I think I would prefer a power outage in the fall vs summer.
Kev - My thoughts go out to you and yours and all those dealing with this. My aunt and uncle live in West Hartford, CT area and are looking at not having power until at least Sunday night if not longer.

Stay safe!

Old 11-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
Kev - My thoughts go out to you and yours and all those dealing with this. My aunt and uncle live in West Hartford, CT area and are looking at not having power until at least Sunday night if not longer.

Stay safe!
Thanks

Just got off stage between sets and my wife just sent me a text that the power came back on.

I spent the whole day cleaning my yard. Man did I underestimate the damage. I had more like 50 large limbs down. But now the snow is completely melted, yard clean, power on. Monday forecast is 70 degrees. Almost like it never happened.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 AM

Lots of snowbirds heading your way since this past weekend. Not a surprise considering the brutal cold they are experiencing in the Midwest! Even in Tennessee it is very cold, very early this year. A high of 48 is so unusual! Anyway, they are getting out of Dodge and headed your way!

And that was your annual snowbird report. Hiknapster, over and out!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:41 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Anyone know if kev is in town down here? Or did he get slammed up north again. Strange that the timing of this storm is almost same as a major one from last year.

As for snowbirds, all of mine came back to roost at the usual time this year. First week of October.

So far it looks like a busy season in store. But there may be some brakes applied depending upon which way the political winds are a blowin' in another week or so.

YC.......

Old 10-30-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Anyone know if kev is in town down here? Or did he get slammed up north again. Strange that the timing of this storm is almost same as a major one from last year.

As for snowbirds, all of mine came back to roost at the usual time this year. First week of October.

So far it looks like a busy season in store. But there may be some brakes applied depending upon which way the political winds are a blowin' in another week or so.

YC.......
I was just thinking while reading this that this could be a fresh topic as it is identical to last year w/o the snow. Had a tree about twice as thick as a telephone pole fall directly across the street in front of my house which knocked out power.

We knew this storm was coming so the generator was already set up and firewood already brought inside. went to the grocery store on sunday and stocked up on everything. I wired virtually my whole house with a transfer switch.

kids didn't have school yesterday or today but I think most of the town will have it's power on soon. I have mine back already as the tree was one of the first casualties of this storm so it was removed right away.

Last year Halloween got cancelled we'll see if they keep it tommorrow night.
My wife however has been stuck in Indianapolis and unable to get a flight home.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:39 PM

My mom, who is having memory issues, was completely freaked out up in Mass. I wanted her to come down here while the storm came through but no such luck.

I noticed the same thing. We had the same cold air, same snow and storm problems and same early exit for our snowbirds. They look like they are driving down to you all in earnest!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:49 PM

60 posts, read 141,937 times
whew. What a relief. When I saw the title of the thread I was afraid it was a call to arms. Happily it's more friendly observations. As a snowbird to be (come January) I was worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area