Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Bring back Lehigh Acres to what? It was never much to begin with. I could understand getting rid of the huge criminal element that now exists. That makes sense. But saying you'd like to bring it back implies that it must have had some glory at one time.

Hardly. It fact, one could argue that it never got off the ground.

Cape Coral has that stripped-land and abandoned look in some places, but it did get built up over the years in many, many areas and has always had some things going for it like the proximity to the water.

On the other hand, Lehigh Acres patiently waited for 50 years for a boom. When it hit, it hit big, with more homes being built in the boom than had been constructed since Chicago's Lee Ratner first dreamed up the area as an innovative tax shelter in 1954.

Unfortunately, Lehigh was always the poor cousin in the area, and it became the last affordable place for some folks to live. Consequently a bad element was moving in as early as 2005.

At this point, the best you can hope for is that the bad element will move away, but they don't have an incentive to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 AM

376 posts, read 910,404 times
This article is from the WSJ ~ though it is titled 'Done With Ft. Myers', it focuses on Lehigh.

Home Builder Hovnanian High-Tails It Out of Florida - Developments - WSJ

Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 AM

5 posts, read 10,297 times
I would agree with others the crime rate is high. I currently have a customer that his parents bought a great home for 60k and the house was broke into within 3 months. They are looking to move to Port Charlotte up the road. Port Charlotte has been rated #1 place to retire by CNN & Money Mag. That might be a thought for a place for them to live.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
This article is from the WSJ ~ though it is titled 'Done With Ft. Myers', it focuses on Lehigh.

Home Builder Hovnanian High-Tails It Out of Florida - Developments - WSJ
And how about First Home Builders? That was a brilliant but nasty company. They slapped up thousands of homes, then sold out to Hovnanian at the peak.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 AM

376 posts, read 910,404 times
First Home Builders won that wildly popular game that was all the rage in 2005..... 'who's the greater fool?'.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM

7 posts, read 44,413 times
Why? I'm not "pulling at straws to make myself feel better or believing in a "pipe dream" or your smoke screens you speak of. I just consider myself very lucky to have a very cute and affordable little place in Lehigh. So far I've ran into very nice people, and we love our place. Sorry your so negative. I hope beautiful Estero will make you feel better. You asked where? We are off Homestead Rd., not to far from the VFW.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:42 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
I meant "where?", like as in "where is this great place in lehigh" sarcastically. I have not seen any... Hey, Estero is great, ask anyone here who knows Estero... No need to make it look better than it is here, it is good. Besides I am not the only one in here saying how bad lehigh really is...

Last edited by ChrisA70; 09-14-2009 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,834 times
we also bought in Lehigh recently.
yes the community has its issues, but hey, it is what it is.
We bought in Lehigh because lehigh presented us the opportunity to own a home in SWF mortgage free.
We did some digging, and really got alot of negative feedback. Barely any positive.
But we drew the straw.
We are in it for the long term. We'll be the whistle blowing, community organizing neighbours. Not the ones that sit on the sideline and simply watch a nerighbouhood with great potential be taken over by the rotten, opportunistic few.

Already the "perceived" value of our purchase has doubled since purchasing in March, as similar homes on the street are being snatched up and in many cases mutiple offers considerably above the asking. If we decide to sell now, after fees, we'd still walk away with a nice change.
The greater the risk, the greater the rewards.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 15,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Bring back Lehigh Acres to what? It was never much to begin with. I could understand getting rid of the huge criminal element that now exists. That makes sense. But saying you'd like to bring it back implies that it must have had some glory at one time.
I grew up in Lehigh, I have fond memories of a very active community - The Spring Festival, Charm Circle, Golf Tournaments, flocking to the community pools, big events at local church and fraternal organizations. There once was a very strong community there, where everyone knew what was going on and had some awareness of the the people in town. You could go into a local store and see people whom you have known or met at least once and they almost always had a smile on their face. Slowly it all went away, and when I hear people say about bringing "it" back, the first thing I think about is the friendly community that I grew up in. I beg to differ that there was never much there, once upon a time Lehigh had a lot going for it.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:57 PM

17 posts, read 53,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I'm gonna say not a fan on lehigh mostly because it is has no gulf access, because it is not a city it is uncorporated, which presents a whole different set of issues, another reason is when it was set up they didn't plan for any land to be set aside for infrastructure and commercial properties to support things like hospitals and schools , police depts , parks if it was every to realize it's growth potential. with all that said I like your take charge attitude and believe that in any place one person can make a difference just as misery likes company a can do attitude thrives, people look for leadership and if you are willing to do it hat's off to you.. I've noticed on the street that I bought one neighbor planted 3 huge palm trees in his front yard, within a week everyone in the neighborhood was out planting trees and flower beds and decorative stones (and I mean everyone) and in the process neighbors were talking and exchanging numbers and making future plans to do things together. It starts one house at a time one neighborhood at a time. congrats on your closing.
It really is that simple...one person standing up and taking ownership of their property. Congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area