Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 PM

9 posts, read 94,067 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I arrive Friday for 4 nights on Fort Myers Beach, then plan on taking a road trip to Key West for the last half of the trip. We are so excited to get out of MN for a week and do some exploring down south. I haven't been to Florida since I was 18 working on the roofs of Homestead after hurricane Andrew came through.

I don't really have much planned yet, so I would like to get some suggestions on good places to eat and things to do. We are in our late 30's, very active, love nature, good food, beach bars and music. But we don't think you need to spend a bundle to get the best out of a vacation.
We love good seafood, ethnic foods and local places that are off the beaten tourist path.

So far, I plan on going to a citrus orchard between the airport and the beach on Friday and stocking up on juice and fruit. Then I plan on kayaking at least one day somewhere around Sanibel Island I guess. We would love to see some really amazing nature and some of the native critters. Can anyone suggest the best hikes or kayaking routes?

When we drive through the Everglades is there anything to see or do there? Is an airboat ride worth the trouble? How about along the keys highway? I also need to book our last three nights down in the keys. Thinking a bed and breakfast around $100 a night or maybe a condo rental?

Sorry for all the questions, just hoping to get some good tips from locals to make the trip more memorable.

Thanks, Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Bear in mind that it is going to be well-over five hours to Key West from Fort Myers. Plan accordingly.

I love Ding Darling Wildlife Sanctuary on Sanibel. There are kayaks that you can rent or take an eco-boat tour.

On the way to Key West there is a national park ranger station at Everglades City that offers a boat tour (not an airboat). It's informative and very reasonable.

Rates are fairly high this time of year in Key West. Here is a very good resource.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 PM

964 posts, read 2,063,506 times
How nice to see a request for something other than where to live in SWFL!

We've done this trip many a time and always find something new to do. Hik is right - the Ding Darling preserve will be a great kayaking destination.

For en route, try the Clyde Butcher At Gallery on 41 between Naples and Miami. The road was the original route before 75 and has a lot of character to it. Clyde's Big Cypress gallery of breathtaking photographs of Big Cypress, the Everglades, and the Keys should not be missed. Black and White Photography - Clyde Butcher

Once you get to Key West, don't bother with any beach except the one at Fort Zachary Taylor. All others pale in comparison - it's somewhat of a local secret. Welcome to Florida State Parks

We rented this place in Key West for a long weekend - it was awesome. Heron Suite

Whatever you do, you will love it! BTW - you do know about the high speed catamaran that sails from Fort Myers Beach to Key West in 3 hours, right? They are running a special for holiday gifts: $99 round trip, good until some time into 2012. It's usually $150 R/T. If you decide to do this, make sure you ask about it as it's not advertised on their site - only in the News press paper here. Official Website of Key West Express

Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 AM

693 posts, read 2,011,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
How nice to see a request for something other than where to live in SWFL!

We've done this trip many a time and always find something new to do. Hik is right - the Ding Darling preserve will be a great kayaking destination.

For en route, try the Clyde Butcher At Gallery on 41 between Naples and Miami. The road was the original route before 75 and has a lot of character to it. Clyde's Big Cypress gallery of breathtaking photographs of Big Cypress, the Everglades, and the Keys should not be missed. Black and White Photography - Clyde Butcher

Once you get to Key West, don't bother with any beach except the one at Fort Zachary Taylor. All others pale in comparison - it's somewhat of a local secret. Welcome to Florida State Parks

We rented this place in Key West for a long weekend - it was awesome. Heron Suite

Whatever you do, you will love it! BTW - you do know about the high speed catamaran that sails from Fort Myers Beach to Key West in 3 hours, right? They are running a special for holiday gifts: $99 round trip, good until some time into 2012. It's usually $150 R/T. If you decide to do this, make sure you ask about it as it's not advertised on their site - only in the News press paper here. Official Website of Key West Express
The entire basis of City Data was for relocation and assisting people with that, hence the reason for all the moving threads, just sayin'!

To the OP. Went to Key West last week, they are doing some construction along Rt. 1 (Overseas Hwy the road that takes your through the keys) and have been for almost 2 years so it will take you every bit of 5 hours, depending on what time you go through Miami. There is a ferry from Ft. Myers, but I thought it was closer to the 5 hour mark. Also it has been windy here for what seems like an eternity creating some rough seas. If you do take the ferry there is no guarantee on when you might get back, if the seas are to rough, they will not come back to Key West to pick you up until the waves mellow out a bit. So if you are on a schedule, keep that in mind.

Cape Coral/ Ft. Myers area......Kayaking you have the Four Mile Cove in Cape Coral and Ding Darling on Sanibel as someone else said. Another option, which I am sure some people will shoot down is renting a canoe at Lakes Park in Ft. Myers. At first it might not seem like much, but you can spend a nice morning/afternoon there. I took my little brother there last time he came to visit and we had a great time. Rented a canoe in the morning and spent a few hours just cruising around, if you are into nature you will like this. We saw a few gators, some snakes, tons of turtles, tons of birds, fish, frogs, and a even a Bald Eagle. We grabbed a quick lunch and then walked a few of the trails seeing the Bald Eagle again, squirrels, birds another gator, and a couple of Pygmy Rattlesnakes doing the nasty on the side of the trail. Only pitfall is the stupid parking, it's $2/hour, basically the same as the rest of the counties tourist traps I guess. I personally wouldn't consider this area a great place for specialty restaurants. There are some decent ones, but I would save the seafood for Key West. On the beach you can catch live music at a bunch of different places. Top O Mast (kind of a dive) has a band on the beach almost every night, the Tiki Bar at the Lighthouse Resort has a good food and is usually jumping most night of the week in the winter. It can get a little expensive, but its a good time. I would avoid the Lani Kai unless you are into the spring break type scene on a nightly basis.One of my favorites places is Docs Beach House in Bonita. They are right on Bonita Beach, they have great pizza, reasonable beer specials, only downfall is they only serve beer and wine, no hard alcohol, but I love the place non the less. Parking sucks, but I always park across the street even though they say not to, never been ticketed or towed. Sunsets from Docs are nothing less than extraordinary. There is so much to do. I would check out the Sticky on the main page "Fun things to do......."

Key West and the trip there..... The everglades are always nice this time of year, not nearly as buggy or hot. The airboats are fun. We did the eco safari a couple years ago out of Naples, it was a little expensive, but we had a great time, just google eco safari. If you are looking for ethnic food, make a stop in Miami. On the way out to Key West there is a sea turtle hospital, I know how it sounds, but it's awesome, same with the dolphin research center. I think the turtles are on Marathon and the dolphins are on Grassy Key. Both are under $20 all the money goes to helping the "residents." Again google is your friend. It's well worth the money. If you like beaches Bahia Honda is one the best beaches in the world. I recommend getting some cheap snorkeling gear if you plan on stopping here. It's pretty awesome. If kayaking is what you are after theres not many places better than the Florida Keys. Once on Key West you can do a slew of things. There's a boat that goes to the Dry Tortugas, which is awesome (google it). If you are into snorkeling, swimming, etc they have day tours out of Key West that take you to a secluded island. Everything is inclusive including food and paradise punch (the adult kind). You can snorkel, kayak, swim, walk the island, fish, I think they might even have jet skis. As for the beaches on Key West, they are not great, since they are all man made. South Beach isn't bad, it's tiny, but theres a pier there as well as a bar/restaurant over looking the beach. It is also right around the corner from the Southern Most Point. Nightlife on Key West is like nowhere I have ever been. It's not clubby, but if you like live music, food, and booze you will love Duval Street. There are probably 50 bars, 75% have live music. There are also tons of little shops and street vendors with some cool stuff. If you really want a taste of the Keys, checkout a drag show at the 801 Bourbon Bar and Cabaret, its funny and quite entertaining and they have them every night of the week. If seafood is what you are after, head to Alonzos Oyster House on Front Street, its next to the Hogbreath Saloon, for happy hour. Half price drinks and apps. Some of the best seafood I have ever had in my life(get the stone crab), its an awesome place too. This time of year you should already have reservations if you plan on staying on Key West on a weekend, so I would look for something ASAP. I can almost guarantee you will not find anything for $99, especially a B&B, but you never know. I always stay at the Pegasus International. It's not a 5 star hotel by any means and it might be a little loud at night since its right on Duval St, but for the money you cannot beat it and its location, parking is also included in the price of the room, which some places don't offer. Have a good trip!

Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 94,067 times
Hey, thanks so much for the great advice. I was able to book our last three nights at the Pegasus International. So happy to have that loose end tied up, and a great price too! Only $110/night I'll get some more time to tonight to follow up on the other suggestions you guys have made. This is going to be a fun and affordable trip. Staying at the Neptune Fort Myers Beach for only $83/night after all taxes and fees, and getting a full-size rental car from hotwire for $16/day. I think we'll be able to splurge on a few things.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 PM

693 posts, read 2,011,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleslam View Post
Hey, thanks so much for the great advice. I was able to book our last three nights at the Pegasus International. So happy to have that loose end tied up, and a great price too! Only $110/night I'll get some more time to tonight to follow up on the other suggestions you guys have made. This is going to be a fun and affordable trip. Staying at the Neptune Fort Myers Beach for only $83/night after all taxes and fees, and getting a full-size rental car from hotwire for $16/day. I think we'll be able to splurge on a few things.
The Pegasus is the best place for the money that I could find near Duval St. Like I said don't expect all the bells and whistles, it's just a place to sleep, take a shower, and get ready. The pool and sundeck are pretty nice too. You will have a great time, Key West is one of my favorite places in the world. Give us a posting when you get back and let us know how it went! Have fun!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM

964 posts, read 2,063,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
The Pegasus is the best place for the money that I could find near Duval St. Like I said don't expect all the bells and whistles, it's just a place to sleep, take a shower, and get ready. The pool and sundeck are pretty nice too. You will have a great time, Key West is one of my favorite places in the world. Give us a posting when you get back and let us know how it went! Have fun!
Yes, enjoy UncleSam. You'll soon be here!

Old 12-03-2011, 05:22 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,544 times
We have made the drive about a dozen times in the past 3 years. It's fun to bring first time visitors on the drive, cut off of I-75 at SR 29 and go US41 through the Everglades. We stop at the Big Cypress Preserve to see alligators in the wild, then go Krome Avenue all the way through Old Homestead to Florida City and the Overseas Highway.

From Key Largo down, it's 110 miles of the Atlantic on your left and the Gulf on your right.
We like to spend the first night in either Key Largo or Islamorada. See where Jimmy Ray is playing live and go see him! Don't fail to stop at the Islamorada Fish Company restaurant and see the Tarpon get fed each night at sundown. Stroll into the birthplace of Bass Pro Shop at the Worldwide Sportsman, on the same grounds as the Fish Co.

Day 2 we continue south on US1, checking out some of the markers memorializing Spanish ships that went down 500 years ago just off these shores. Stop at Robbie's Marina and hand feed 200 pound Tarpon that come right up to you from the Gulfside or just watch others do it and take pictures in awe!

Just before Marathon, turf off at the hidden gem that it Key Colony Beach. Stop into the Sparky's Landing for some fish tacos for lunch or just enjoy the 99 cent peel/eat shrip with a cold beer. Don't get back on the highway before you cruise through KCB to Sunset Park; stroll the pier and dream of how the "other side" lives. See standard quarter acre empty lots that sell for a half million dollars. (I don't think the recession happened in KCB).

Finally, you get to Key West! Park at the Waffle House, then use the crosswalks to enter the center median of US 1 so your guests can get a photo standing under the Welcome to Key West, Paradise USA sign.

While there, leave your car at the hotel and spend $65 per 24 hours for a motorized scooter. It's the ONLY way to get around and see it all. What is it all?

Schooner Wharf Bar, noon to 5 you MUST hear Michael McCloud sing his stories.
Mallory Square for the nightly sunset celebration.
Mel Fisher treasure museum (Today's the Day!)
Hemingway House
Southernmost Point
The original Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Restaurant and Bar
Find another of my favorite KW musical geniuses, Scott Kirby and spend an evening listening and dreaming with his songs. (he tours a lot, so check his website...he plays many venues in KW when not on tour).

Okay...I could go on all night. We love the Keys! I love the water, I cherish the bars but most I miss the music...

When it's all over, you have a looooooong drive back home. We usually go straight through to get it done with. Beware that holiday weekends are a beeeeotch! Memorial Day Monday took us 9 hours to get home.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,630 times
We,also make the drive to Key West every year and we always look foward to it.I ditto everything post so far and encourgae you to stop at Bahia Honda state park which is just a breathtaking beach and right off the highway about 2 hours from Key West.Also,if you're into beaches,Smathers is the biggest and best on the island...fresh smoothies at the concessions,rentals and restrooms.
We bring our bikes with us and that is our only transportation....gives us a little excercise after all the eating and boozing.
Duval st is a huge party every night.Everyone is happy and friendly and it's perfectly safe to wander around anywhere,even late at night.There is very little crime on the island because there's only one way in and one way out.
Have fun.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:29 PM

376 posts, read 910,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
We have made the drive about a dozen times in the past 3 years. It's fun to bring first time visitors on the drive, cut off of I-75 at SR 29 and go US41 through the Everglades.
From Key Largo down, it's 110 miles of the Atlantic on your left and the Gulf on your right.

Schooner Wharf Bar, noon to 5 you MUST hear Michael McCloud sing his stories.
Mallory Square for the nightly sunset celebration.
Find another of my favorite KW musical geniuses, Scott Kirby and spend an evening listening and dreaming with his songs. (he tours a lot, so check his website...he plays many venues in KW when not on tour).

Okay...I could go on all night. We love the Keys! I love the water, I cherish the bars but most I miss the music...

When it's all over, you have a looooooong drive back home. We usually go straight through to get it done with. Beware that holiday weekends are a beeeeotch! Memorial Day Monday took us 9 hours to get home.

Excellent comment ~ taking Loop Road is one of the best ways to see lotsa alligators and all manner of flora and fauna, it's on old 41, take the east end if possible. Really old Florida back there.

Also, music is the BEST in the keys, Scott Kirby is genius... listen to 'lucky enough' on you tube and you'll get hooked. And the Schooner Wharf is super island-y, they even have happy hours!! Michael McCloud is superb entertainer, there's local talk about a certain country star knocking off one of MM's songs... Enjoy and take lots of pics!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area