U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 AM

518 posts, read 1,094,449 times

Advertisements

The city is putting in a new 16,000 sq ft beach area at the park. It is starting on Monday. next will be docks and small boats. Hopefully they will then dredge the whole area. What does everyone thing of this? I like it since my home sits in the middle of two small beaches within walking distance. Now I just hope my taxes don't go up a lot.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 AM

693 posts, read 1,800,499 times
I think the beach idea is a waste of money and time. The park is on a canal, basin whatever, most of which have sludge bottoms. The water isn't particularly clean, so I don't see many people actually swimming in the water, negating the reason to even put a beach in.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM

964 posts, read 1,859,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
I think the beach idea is a waste of money and time. The park is on a canal, basin whatever, most of which have sludge bottoms. The water isn't particularly clean, so I don't see many people actually swimming in the water, negating the reason to even put a beach in.
Totally agree on the beach thing. Last year one of our members - Riko - had a great idea that he sent into the local paper. Build the docks, yes, and have a shuttle to take folks into downtown Cape Coral. The Four Freedoms basin is an existing stopover point for folks transiting the inter-coastal (due to its proximity to Publix) and would could really help Cape Coral become a boating destination (which fits one of the actual reasons the city was founded) that would drive additional new business there and encourage patronization of the restaurants there by both locals and travelers alike. In the words of the late great John Belushi, "But noooooooooooo." Instead, they are building a beach canalside that encourages swimming in God knows what. I guess we should be happy there's some progress, but going to a beach in that dicey neighborhood would be about the last thing on my to-do list, particularly when one can go to the yacht club and all the services that provides. I don't understand why the Cape Coral Community Redevelopment Agency is footing 85% of the bill. How exactly will that redevelop the community?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,440,804 times
Thanks Izmack. Fiege, did you hear that they got funding for the docks?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 PM

No they want to see how the beach goes first I guess. Between the 47th street project and dredging SE and SW I don't know where they are going to get the money for any one of these projects. They can't even decide on the lease renewal monthly cost for the poor little beach shack at the yacht basin. Lets hope they do get funds for docks of some kind.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:58 PM

964 posts, read 1,859,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
No they want to see how the beach goes first I guess. Between the 47th street project and dredging SE and SW I don't know where they are going to get the money for any one of these projects. They can't even decide on the lease renewal monthly cost for the poor little beach shack at the yacht basin. Lets hope they do get funds for docks of some kind.
And let's not forget the bright idea to connect the Rubicon Canal to Bimini basin (is that what you mean, Fiege?)

Proposal to Connect Rubicon Canal with Bimini Basin | Greater Fort Myers Real Estate

I am appalled at this. If residents along that canal want their home prices to increase with the connector solution, then they should pay for it. Most of you know my philosophies lean toward the left, but this is DEFINITELY one area where I think the government is just plain nuts to consider. Why the heck should taxpayers pay for this that only benefits the few? I bet if one did some digging, we'd find the people behind this live on the Rubicon. Disgraceful.

Last edited by Izmack; 01-05-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Yes on the canal connection.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,040,225 times
Did the city ding dongs check the water quality to make sure that that place is even safe to swim in?
I don't think so, just an other waste of tax payer dollars by the brilliant, city leadership we have.
What a collection of Morons.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 PM

They are testing the water. That is one reason why the mayor voted against putting it in. The results haven't been finished yet. The other member that voted against it said there is only 50 parking spots where will people park. I hope it will end up being more for docks and boats later with a place just to sit in the sun. They have to start somewhere I guess. I haven't gone in any of these waters around the state since I was a kid. None of them are clean enough for me. That is why I have a pool.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,440,804 times
I went over to check FF Park's beach project. They didn't start yet, but there was a concert in the park with an orchestra. It was very nice. Lots of people with chairs and coolers and boats were moored in Bimini Basin within listening range. The beach project starts tomorrow. It should be nice. The water is clear but I still wouldn't swim there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area