Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM

693 posts, read 2,011,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Agreed. If looking at more than just the commute, Sarasota County towns offer a better quality of life overall in my opinion. Venice has Gulf beaches, great historic downtown, miles of bike trails and close to I-75, lots of people of all ages.

If commuting is the most important factor, what area would you be working in the most? If it were me, I wouldn't live in North Port, Port Charlotte or Lehigh Acres no matter how cheap.
Venice has people of all ages? That news to me. Last time I was there it was an overwhelming majority of retirees. I do agree with the Lehigh Acres statement, I wouldn't live there if someone was paying me.Although North Port and Port Charlotte on the other hand, are absolutely nothing like Lehigh, and definitely not places to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:29 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Punta Gorda is more the middle and it has easier access to 75.
if port charlotte is not for you id cheack out punta gorda too in middle and a verry nice area

Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 AM

14 posts, read 32,611 times
Well back again for a few days to have a look at some of the places mentioned. Read some more threads and wow, what a great deal of info. Will probably be back on later with questions. thanks all!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 AM

378 posts, read 829,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Venice has people of all ages? That news to me. Last time I was there it was an overwhelming majority of retirees. I do agree with the Lehigh Acres statement, I wouldn't live there if someone was paying me.Although North Port and Port Charlotte on the other hand, are absolutely nothing like Lehigh, and definitely not places to avoid.
Check the facts on City-data's factual side. Charlotte County (Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda) has one the oldest average age not only in Florida but the COUNTRY. Prices are still way down, why choose Port Charlotte or North Port, no real beaches, attractions but lots of old strip malls when you can be in Englewood, Venice or Sarasota. Ask an agent to SHOW you nice places to go and things to do in the different areas. That won't take an NP or PC agent long. In 5 years when prices are much higher in the nicer towns but still low in NP and PC and that's the only place someone can afford to buy, that's different.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:23 AM

693 posts, read 2,011,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Check the facts on City-data's factual side. Charlotte County (Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda) has one the oldest average age not only in Florida but the COUNTRY. Prices are still way down, why choose Port Charlotte or North Port, no real beaches, attractions but lots of old strip malls when you can be in Englewood, Venice or Sarasota. Ask an agent to SHOW you nice places to go and things to do in the different areas. That won't take an NP or PC agent long. In 5 years when prices are much higher in the nicer towns but still low in NP and PC and that's the only place someone can afford to buy, that's different.
First, I never said Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, or North Port were not old towns. I said and you even quoted it, they are nothing like Lehigh and are not places you should avoid. They are older, they don't have much crime, and they are generally quiet. You can also get direct access homes for a fraction of a house that is not on water in Venice or Sarasota. Next, I said and again you quoted it, Venice is not a town that has a lot of young people. According to City Data the average age of residents in Venice is a blue haired 68.8. The only way that is young is if you consider 150 as being old. The OP is in the early 40's if I remember correctly. Average resident age in North Port 40.8, Port Charlotte 49, and Punta Gorda 63.6 all according to City Data and all well below Venice. Finally, if you think people are going to be priced out of buying homes in nice areas in the next 5 years, you are sorely mistaken. When the bust happened, home prices increased overnight and I would consider 5 years overnight, it won't happen again. In order for people to priced out of an area, sales prices would have to almost double in a 5 year period, that ain't happenin'. I would also like to say there are some very nice homes in Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda, might wanna get out occasionally and take a look. One more thing, the OP is working in all 3 counties, it is virtually impossible for them to live in Englewood or Sarasota and have to drive to Estero or Bonita Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area