Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM

37 posts, read 82,175 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks to anyone reading this thread and giving any information (wheter it be positive or negative). I am a 29yr old male looking to re-locate to the Cape Coral area. I am currently living in Northeast Ohio and can not do so for much longer. I am fed up with winter and need to make a change to benefit my sanity. Unfortunately, as hard as it is to find work from what I am reading I will need to find work once I re-locate. As of now, I am a Supervisor of a machine shop for the past 7 years and also about to complete my certification as a personal trainer. Obviously, I can not transfer jobs and as a personal trainer will most likely not make enough money to make a career, but my g/f whom will be moving with me is able to transfer jobs and though she does not make a fortune (40k/yr) will help. My mother will also be coming with us and is presently working as a home-health aide. So we will be looking at having a few incomes coming in.

1)I was looking to know of how bad the job market really is, and if it's people are not willing to settle for something less and working there way to make more money, or are there no jobs at all to be found.

2) Are there any areas of Cape Coral to avoid? Or any nicer areas to live in? (Would like a 3 bedroom with a pool!! Looking to rent 1st)

3) How is the crime? Also, what is the ethnic make-up of most the community?

Like I had stated above, I am a 29yr old male looking to make a move to work for a living, have nice weather yr round and be able to go home to a pool and relax at night with my g/f and mom or go to the beach on the weekends. I have looked into moving to Miami area where I lived until I was 11 and still have family, but it is to much hustle and bustle from what I am used to in Ohio.

Please any information is helpful and thanks to all of you again for any replies I get to this post. Hope to have some of you as neighbors in the near future!!!

Thanks,

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg535353 View Post
First off, thanks to anyone reading this thread and giving any information (wheter it be positive or negative). I am a 29yr old male looking to re-locate to the Cape Coral area. I am currently living in Northeast Ohio (Welcome! - another NE Ohioan transplant as well) and can not do so for much longer. I am fed up with winter and need to make a change to benefit my sanity. Unfortunately, as hard as it is to find work from what I am reading I will need to find work once I re-locate. As of now, I am a Supervisor of a machine shop (Not many production jobs around here) for the past 7 years and also about to complete my certification as a personal trainer. Obviously, I can not transfer jobs and as a personal trainer will most likely not make enough money to make a career, but my g/f whom will be moving with me is able to transfer jobs and though she does not make a fortune (40k/yr) will help (in what field?). My mother will also be coming with us and is presently working as a home-health aide (another dying field in FL - residential care took a hit in funding and most places, especially in the people with disabilities field took a hit and closed up shop) . So we will be looking at having a few incomes coming in.

1)I was looking to know of how bad the job market really is, and if it's people are not willing to settle for something less and working there way to make more money, or are there no jobs at all to be found.

FL is a right to work state. Businesses normally start a much lower wage than Ohio. In this area - it is tourism based. There are very little manufactoring jobs here.

2) Are there any areas of Cape Coral to avoid? Or any nicer areas to live in? (Would like a 3 bedroom with a pool!! Looking to rent 1st)

Like I had stated above, I am a 29yr old male looking to make a move to work for a living, have nice weather yr round and be able to go home to a pool and relax at night with my g/f and mom or go to the beach on the weekends. I have looked into moving to Miami area where I lived until I was 11 and still have family, but it is to much hustle and bustle from what I am used to in Ohio.

Please any information is helpful and thanks to all of you again for any replies I get to this post. Hope to have some of you as neighbors in the near future!!!

Thanks,

Tony
More later - need to leave for home.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,132 times
Quote:
First off, thanks to anyone reading this thread and giving any information (wheter it be positive or negative). I am a 29yr old male looking to re-locate to the Cape Coral area. I am currently living in Northeast Ohio and can not do so for much longer. I am fed up with winter and need to make a change to benefit my sanity. Unfortunately, as hard as it is to find work from what I am reading I will need to find work once I re-locate. As of now, I am a Supervisor of a machine shop for the past 7 years and also about to complete my certification as a personal trainer. Obviously, I can not transfer jobs and as a personal trainer will most likely not make enough money to make a career, but my g/f whom will be moving with me is able to transfer jobs and though she does not make a fortune (40k/yr) will help. My mother will also be coming with us and is presently working as a home-health aide. So we will be looking at having a few incomes coming in.

Thanks,

Tony
Jobs are hard to come by for sure, especially with your background it's gonna be very tough for you right now. I'd start looking before you come. Unless you have a healthcare or legal background there are no jobs.

Most of Cape Coral is relatively safe. I would avoid the area closest to the hospital and the neighborhood just South of the Parkway, there was a shooting there yesterday morning. Rent for a 3 bedroom home with a pool is going to run you anywhere from $1000 on up, depending where and what else it has to offer direct access, etc. Electric and water bills on a pool home will run you from a total of $200-$350 depending on when you run the pool, how often you have to add water, and how much you use a/c or the occasional heat. I have used the heat for 3 days so far this winter and the a/c has been off since the end of September. You can also expect your car insurance to double. The ethnic make up is primarily white, but there is a decent Hispanic population as well as some Asian and African Americans mixed in there, not a cultural epicenter by any means. If you are looking for less hustle and bustle I urge you to look at North Port, Punta Gorda, etc. Although it's not nearly as busy as Miami, it is rather "hustle and bustle" during the season. It's not as quiet as you may think. Perhaps the North Cape.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,802 times
Your girlfriend's $40G will go far down here. If you and mom can pitch in a little you should be fine. Read the first two posts on the Cape Coral Forum and also use the search feature for plenty of info that you are looking for.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
More later - need to leave for home.
Stahl,

Thank you very much for your input!! I was actually hoping to not get involved in another production job. I was just trying to give an idea of what background I was coming from. I realize I am going to be starting back at ground zero and will need to work my way back up anyway I go to make a decent living again. It is going to be a sticker shock to me at 1st but, it seems worth it to me in the long run. As far as my mother, that is not the best news but she also has experience in waitressing. Is this a viable option? Are they bias in way of age in hiring waitresses? Just wondered if it is the younger the better or not? What would be a decent job in the tourism industry to try to get into without any epxperience, if any? I am more than willing to do anything to make it work. I am a very hard-working person and not one expecting to move to SWFL and become a part time worker. I am more than willing to put in my full work week (if not more) and spend my day or days off to enjoy it.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Jobs are hard to come by for sure, especially with your background it's gonna be very tough for you right now. I'd start looking before you come. Unless you have a healthcare or legal background there are no jobs.

Most of Cape Coral is relatively safe. I would avoid the area closest to the hospital and the neighborhood just South of the Parkway, there was a shooting there yesterday morning. Rent for a 3 bedroom home with a pool is going to run you anywhere from $1000 on up, depending where and what else it has to offer direct access, etc. Electric and water bills on a pool home will run you from a total of $200-$350 depending on when you run the pool, how often you have to add water, and how much you use a/c or the occasional heat. I have used the heat for 3 days so far this winter and the a/c has been off since the end of September. You can also expect your car insurance to double. The ethnic make up is primarily white, but there is a decent Hispanic population as well as some Asian and African Americans mixed in there, not a cultural epicenter by any means. If you are looking for less hustle and bustle I urge you to look at North Port, Punta Gorda, etc. Although it's not nearly as busy as Miami, it is rather "hustle and bustle" during the season. It's not as quiet as you may think. Perhaps the North Cape.
Billy,

Thanks for the input. I have done some looking for jobs online 1st but it seems hard to have anyone willing to hire someone re-locating and not already living in the area. Also, thanks for the advice on the non-"hustle & bustle" areas. At the same time I might have stated my feelings in wanting to aviod any "hustle & bustle". I now live in an area where it is all horses, cow, & chicken farms. I am not looking for this again and understand there will be some tourism during the busy season and I can handle that (I think, since I have never had to at this age). I just can not handle the Miami living on an everyday basis. I would like some life but not extreme. If this makes any sense to you...lol.

Those are around the prices I have seen for the area and type of home I am looking for. I have also, heard about the car insurance doubling!! Thanks for the heads up though.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Your girlfriend's $40G will go far down here. If you and mom can pitch in a little you should be fine. Read the first two posts on the Cape Coral Forum and also use the search feature for plenty of info that you are looking for.
Riko,

Thank you very much!! I will check out the other forum's

Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 AM

161 posts, read 412,569 times
Tony, make sure you have a fairly large wad of cash when you come. Deposits for rent and utilities, cost of drivers license, HUGE cost of transferring cars and all those other misc costs add up quick!
Good luck...and don't bring the snow with you LOL

Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM

693 posts, read 2,012,132 times
Quote:
Billy,

Thanks for the input. I have done some looking for jobs online 1st but it seems hard to have anyone willing to hire someone re-locating and not already living in the area. Also, thanks for the advice on the non-"hustle & bustle" areas. At the same time I might have stated my feelings in wanting to aviod any "hustle & bustle". I now live in an area where it is all horses, cow, & chicken farms. I am not looking for this again and understand there will be some tourism during the busy season and I can handle that (I think, since I have never had to at this age). I just can not handle the Miami living on an everyday basis. I would like some life but not extreme. If this makes any sense to you...lol.

Those are around the prices I have seen for the area and type of home I am looking for. I have also, heard about the car insurance doubling!! Thanks for the heads up though.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you aren't getting a job because you are out of state and relocating. A lot of people think that and then find themselves in a world of hurt a couple months after being down here and their bankroll starts to dwindle rapidly. People that are "already living in the area" are not finding jobs the way it is, so moving here without at the very least a promising prospect is a huge mistake. I know you said your girlfriend makes $40k/ year, did she look into transferring? I have heard horror stories of people thinking they could transfer only to be offered a lower salary and/or position if they left their current location and make sure if she is transferring it is a full time non-seasonal transfer, again horror stories of people transferring only to find out they were only needed for the season and then being laid off.

If you are used to the way of life in Ohio, I warn you it is a lot different here. My mom lives in a little hick town in Central Ohio called Warsaw and it is exactly as you describe. After spending a week there over Thanksgiving I could not wait to get home. Again it's nothing like Miami or Orlando, but a lot different than Ohio. Have you visited recently?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:50 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,073 times
Quote:
Stahl,

Thank you very much for your input!! I was actually hoping to not get involved in another production job. I was just trying to give an idea of what background I was coming from. I realize I am going to be starting back at ground zero and will need to work my way back up anyway I go to make a decent living again. It is going to be a sticker shock to me at 1st but, it seems worth it to me in the long run. As far as my mother, that is not the best news but she also has experience in waitressing. Is this a viable option? Are they bias in way of age in hiring waitresses? Just wondered if it is the younger the better or not? What would be a decent job in the tourism industry to try to get into without any epxperience, if any? I am more than willing to do anything to make it work. I am a very hard-working person and not one expecting to move to SWFL and become a part time worker. I am more than willing to put in my full work week (if not more) and spend my day or days off to enjoy it.
Most entry level jobs in the tourism start less than 9.00/hr. When I worked for a Autism company (behavioral) - I started out at 9.00/hr. That's because of my experience and I came from out of state with that experience. I was lucky enough to also get into the local school district at 11.00/hr - but not planning on getting any raises anytime soon.

The main jobs around here are construction - not much of it anymore. Tourism - hotels, fast food, restaurant, etc. Education - iffy field in of it self. Sure there are other jobs such as working out in the field in Immokalee, real estate, medical... but you're just a number in a long line. Most of my co-workers are working two jobs to make ends meet....

Is it guaranteed that your gf can transfer at 40k?

As far as waitressing - it doesn't really matter - last year when we first moved down here - there were about 500 people applying for 20 McDonald's jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area