Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,272 times

Advertisements

I usually fly into punta gorda's little airport. An airline called direct air flys out of quite a few northern cities to many southern cities. I fly out of worcester, ma ( which happens to be the closest airport to my house. And punta gorda is very close to north cape coral. Other benefits are these flights are direct and a little less than 3 hrs. Parking at these airports are relatively cheap. Most importantly i usuall pay on avg less than $175. Per person round trip.

The airline has cancelled all it' s flights with zero notice. Due to not being able to pay it' s jet fuel bill. I had tickets fir aoril vacation. I was able to get a refund. I checked out flights from bos to ft myers for that week and it was $850 per person. Thats a $3400 bill for family of 4 compared to $700 for a fam of 4. We decided we are going to drive down.

This could def have an impact on my life. I usually go down 4 to 5 times a year at a cost under $3000. To do the same on other airlines would run me about $10,000 more every year.

I keep a boat down there and a tow vehicle. Because i use the boat on avg 20 days a year and the vehicle about 30 days a year it makes sense financially as opposed to rentingobviously if i'm driving down i wouldn't need a vehicle and chances are i' d cut down to two trips a year one flight/ one drive. And probably sell either my boat down there or the boat i have up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 AM

964 posts, read 2,063,939 times
I was thinking of you when this news hit. As well, the news last night was discussing the price of fuel and that fares from last year will literally double with these hikes. I am sure DirectAir couldn't afford it any longer.

It may be that another carrier will come into PG as the potential there is high for them. Have you looked into Southwest from TF Green? I just checked for flights in April and you could do it for under $350 R/T. Use their Low Fare Finder....

Sarasota might be another option, but farther, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I usually fly into punta gorda's little airport. An airline called direct air flys out of quite a few northern cities to many southern cities. I fly out of worcester, ma ( which happens to be the closest airport to my house. And punta gorda is very close to north cape coral. Other benefits are these flights are direct and a little less than 3 hrs. Parking at these airports are relatively cheap. Most importantly i usuall pay on avg less than $175. Per person round trip.

The airline has cancelled all it' s flights with zero notice. Due to not being able to pay it' s jet fuel bill. I had tickets fir aoril vacation. I was able to get a refund. I checked out flights from bos to ft myers for that week and it was $850 per person. Thats a $3400 bill for family of 4 compared to $700 for a fam of 4. We decided we are going to drive down.

This could def have an impact on my life. I usually go down 4 to 5 times a year at a cost under $3000. To do the same on other airlines would run me about $10,000 more every year.

I keep a boat down there and a tow vehicle. Because i use the boat on avg 20 days a year and the vehicle about 30 days a year it makes sense financially as opposed to rentingobviously if i'm driving down i wouldn't need a vehicle and chances are i' d cut down to two trips a year one flight/ one drive. And probably sell either my boat down there or the boat i have up here.

Last edited by Izmack; 03-15-2012 at 07:42 AM..

Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 AM

518 posts, read 1,231,157 times
I use Southwest all the time and there low fare plan works very well for me. But the rates since the 1st of the year have really gone up due to fuel. Its a good thing I am retired.You have to be able to fly at a moments notice to get a great rate. Southwest said they will not turn a profit this quarter because of high fuel cost. If gas doesn't come down soon its not going to be good for us that travel and most of these airlines are going to take big hits again on there bottom lines.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,331,734 times
I use Jet Blue. The lowest fares for me are about $310 per person round trip. I checked Boston to Ft Myers and the lowest fare was $347 per person round trip non stop.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:58 AM

I have school age kids so i am locked in to their schexule of april 15th to april 22nd i think so
E of the flights you're looking at are each way if you select the flight for roundtrip it says 400 but then when you choose depating and arriving price doubles

Last edited by nhkev; 03-15-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 AM

282 posts, read 1,008,689 times
Our primary residence is in northern Indiana and we like to bring our 3 ShihTzu's with us so we have been driving instead of flying. I remember when we could fly down for $150.00 per person round trip, boy has that changed. It is at least an 18 hour trip for us so we leave at about 3:00 a.m and drive straight through so if we make good time we can still arrive by 10:00 p.m. Its a long haul but not too bad. We always flew AirTran but their prices have gone up a lot as well.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,614 times
Kev,I would definately drive.....if you hit it hard,you can make it in two days with only one night in a motel.If you get 16 MPG X1,600 miles it's around $450 in gas $300 for food and motel.
We take 84 to 81 and then get back on 95 in Georgia....that way we miss all the major cities as well as those outrageous tolls in ther northeast.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Kev,I would definately drive.....if you hit it hard,you can make it in two days with only one night in a motel.If you get 16 MPG X1,600 miles it's around $450 in gas $300 for food and motel.
We take 84 to 81 and then get back on 95 in Georgia....that way we miss all the major cities as well as those outrageous tolls in ther northeast.

I work sat night untill 1am , I get home around 2:30 am the past couple times I have driven down I have left @ 2:30 and drove straight through with stops for gas and fast food and coffee yes lotsa lotsa coffee. i can usually make it in 22 hrs. This time I'll have a 5 yr old and an 8 yr old so I will plan a couple recesses but will still drive straight through and hopefully get there in 24 hrs. because I work nights i am use to being up til 3am so to arrive at 2AM would be my normal schedule. This will be the first time with the kids on a long journey. the longest up to here was the 5 hour trips up to beautiful Pittsburgh New Hampshire. My wife and kids have no problem sleeping in cars. for whatever reason I can't sleep anywhere except a comfortable bed.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM

21 posts, read 65,762 times
We've used Direct Air into Allentown, PA in the past with mixed results -- chief complaint being on-time performance. However, we flew North on them over the holidays and all was fine.

While we prefer SouthWest, we've also had good luck with Spirit. If you can be a little flexible and shop their specials, you can get some great deals. Just read and understand all the "fine print" on their additional charges!

Seriously, I went from RSW to ACY (Atlantic City) round-trip for $80 in Feb (yes, I signed up for the "club"). They must have really needed to fill that airplane! I sure can't drive to Philly and back for that!

But the Direct Air situation is most unfortunate, and I feel for the folks "trapped" during Spring Break, no less.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 AM

I checked into southwest and as long as someone is flexible they have a couple days every month that are "wanna get away" deals that are reasonable. so during the summer the fares are decent $242 round trip but during peak vacation times they skyrocket to the point of why bother. Maybe I will just homeschool my kids and have vacations around wanna get away deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area