Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times

Advertisements

Uh-oh.

The 10 best states to retire in - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 PM

13 posts, read 14,224 times
retiring in TN may be a good thing, but actually being a professional and enjoying work/life/amenities, or things like quality education or various cultural activities WHILE YOU ARE NOT RETIREMENT AGE is certainly more important to us

retiring is but one station in life - we are not there, we're busy living and working and enjoying the many facets of life

I think we'll choose to get out of Gracelandville while we're still ambulatory and wide awake, and will choose to kiss Memphis goodbye, for SW FL ANYDAY

When we're 65 or 70, the world and surveys might say GA is the best place in another 20 years....or perhaps Arizona again, or even north Alabama

That's a long way off for a new professional generation ! No place is pure perfection, but it's clear that Memphis is quite 'imperfect' to say the minimum.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Actually, Southwest Florida is a GREAT area to retire to, as well. But for raising children and a quality education I chose Knoxville. It has also proven to be very financially lucrative for me, moreso than Mass. and Florida with a fabulous cost of living as well as many very good job opportunities. I've received the best pay of my life in Knoxville. That is sadly lacking in Southwest Florida. There are far more cultural opportunties in Knoxville, too. As I said, Memphis and Knoxville are a world away. I can't imagine anyone purposely chosing to live in Memphis. Whatever were you thinking?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:49 PM

518 posts, read 1,230,822 times
The Memphis airport is enough reason not to live there. Fed Ex owns the darn thing. Every time I fly into that air port its seems all of there planes are taking off at once. The public gets to wait for a runway. You would have to pay me a lot of money to live there at any age.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 AM

29 posts, read 57,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I've went on zillow last night. I was specifically looking at Gulf access homes in the SW below beach parkway west of chiquita , the section south of cape coral parkway east of chiquita , and also the section above pine island below tropicana west of burnt store more than 2000 sq ft. and a very large percent had a price reduction at the end of may.
The avg price drop seemed to be 5%

There is definately a seasonality and by May if a house hasn't sold then the sellers of unsold homes seem to try to chase the market instead of pricing it right during season. personally if I was buying a house in SWFL I'd be looking in August/ september that's when sellers would likely be most anxious to sell. July is also usually a big month for foreclosure activity, don't know why but I'm sure it has something to do with banks clearing things off their books.
Zillow is NOT a good resource for this information. They are historically way off on their 'zestimates' or whatever they call them. They are national and can't look at the smaller picture locally. Just saying...

Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 AM

29 posts, read 57,479 times
Default NOT Zillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I've went on zillow last night. I was specifically looking at Gulf access homes in the SW below beach parkway west of chiquita , the section south of cape coral parkway east of chiquita , and also the section above pine island below tropicana west of burnt store more than 2000 sq ft. and a very large percent had a price reduction at the end of may.
The avg price drop seemed to be 5%

There is definately a seasonality and by May if a house hasn't sold then the sellers of unsold homes seem to try to chase the market instead of pricing it right during season. personally if I was buying a house in SWFL I'd be looking in August/ september that's when sellers would likely be most anxious to sell. July is also usually a big month for foreclosure activity, don't know why but I'm sure it has something to do with banks clearing things off their books.
Zillow is useless. It is completely inaccurate and misleading. It has listings of homes that haven't been for sale for years, or ever. Many of them are what they term 'pre-foreclosure' which doesn't mean anything.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 AM

518 posts, read 1,230,822 times
Ever since Zillow went public there numbers became worthless. They seem to not care anymore now that they all got rich. The housing market went bust and so should this company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area