Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:32 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Correct. This hurricane isn't even close compared to the path of Charley. However, what a previous storm did or didn't do is immaterial when it comes to predictions. Right now they are predicting 80 mph winds in the gulf but it is still far too early to tell. Models are all over the place at this point.
Those 80 mph predictions are for the panhandle area. We are talking about Southwest Florida, 80 mph winds is not happening. The new track has it over even more land. This sucker might actually end up on the East coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Those 80 mph predictions are for the panhandle area. We are talking about Southwest Florida, 80 mph winds is not happening. The new track has it over even more land. This sucker might actually end up on the East coast.
I understand that. Yes, the predictions are all over the place.

You do realize I was backing you, right?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I understand that. Yes, the predictions are all over the place.

You do realize I was backing you, right?
Haha yes! I was just saying it seems kind of ridiculous to fly down to put on storm shutters at this point. It is also ridiculous that no one seems to think this thing could actually just get caught in the gulf stream and shoot almost straight North and nearly miss the the entire area.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:27 AM

10 posts, read 23,450 times
This (Isaac) will be our first hurricane since moving to Florida. Can someone advise when it's appropriate to put up storm shutters? Are they needed for a Cat 1 storm? If a storm remains off the coast, do we worry mainly about winds from the south or cover all windows? Any guidance from longer term residents is appreciated.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 AM

I'm a former long-term resident. I would put them on at Cat 1 and above. The chances are not high that there will be broken windows from a Cat 1 but anything is possible. I got a broken window from a hail storm up in Tenn. It wasn't even a remarkable storm but it happened. However, it doesn't hurt to put them on in preparation for a Cat 1 storm and a lot of people do.

Secure ALL your windows. When the eye of a hurricane passes over, the wind shifts directions.

In this case the hurricane is probably going to pass by but secure all windows anyway.

The storm is now predicted to pass by fairly close and winds should be about 85 mph, a Cat 1. That's a far cry from Charley's 150 mph winds, to put it in perspective.

Here is a nice chart that all of you can use.

Saffir

I cannot stress enough that this all still subject to change. Those that went through Charley or other very unpredictable storms know this all too well.

Angelala, you are going to have to weigh the cost of travel against the cost of possible minimal damage, at this time. Can you find someone local to put them up for you? Who watches your property or properties?

Old 08-25-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliefromohio View Post
This (Isaac) will be our first hurricane since moving to Florida. Can someone advise when it's appropriate to put up storm shutters? Are they needed for a Cat 1 storm? If a storm remains off the coast, do we worry mainly about winds from the south or cover all windows? Any guidance from longer term residents is appreciated.
If you are in Florida just keep an eye on the news, they will let you know if you need shutters and when it is advisable to put them on. Since you are here you may as well use the shutters, unless they are incredibly hard to put up. I have only used my shutters for Wilma and Charley and that was living on the beach, so depending on where you live your circumstances may different. I would put them up sooner than later if you have to put them up from the outside as it will be impossible when the rain and wind start picking up over the next 24 hours or so. Cover all the windows, the wind is never out of just one direction. The exact track will determine the winds. If it stays out in the Gulf and we remain on the East side of storm the winds at first will almost be offshore (out of the East), as it moves North the winds will shift and come out of the South, as the storm passes they will come onshore (out of the West), this is what creates the storm surge. If are on the West side of the storm it all changes. Anyways, yea cover all windows and bring EVERYTHING inside!

Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 AM

282 posts, read 1,008,735 times
My next door neighbor is going to let us know if we should get someone to put them up or not. We are in the NW area of Cape Coral on Coral Oaks and the house faces west so I'm hoping we won't have to do anything.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
If you are in Florida just keep an eye on the news, they will let you know if you need shutters and when it is advisable to put them on. Since you are here you may as well use the shutters, unless they are incredibly hard to put up. I have only used my shutters for Wilma and Charley and that was living on the beach, so depending on where you live your circumstances may different. I would put them up sooner than later if you have to put them up from the outside as it will be impossible when the rain and wind start picking up over the next 24 hours or so. Cover all the windows, the wind is never out of just one direction. The exact track will determine the winds. If it stays out in the Gulf and we remain on the East side of storm the winds at first will almost be offshore (out of the East), as it moves North the winds will shift and come out of the South, as the storm passes they will come onshore (out of the West), this is what creates the storm surge. If are on the West side of the storm it all changes. Anyways, yea cover all windows and bring EVERYTHING inside!
Bingo.

What way your house faces has nothing to do with anything.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 PM

282 posts, read 1,008,735 times
Does anyone know what the average cost is to hire someone to put the shutters on? I think I found someone to do but haven't been quoted the price yet.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
Does anyone know what the average cost is to hire someone to put the shutters on? I think I found someone to do but haven't been quoted the price yet.
Unfortunately you are not in a bargaining position, so the guys that do it will essentially name their price and that price is going to go up as we get closer. If you plan on putting the shutters up, I would recommend doing it asap, might get a better price than tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area