Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Isaac is moving fast. Strengthening but still only at 65 mph sustained winds. I expect that to pick up to 75 - 85 mph but momentum looks good for heading into the gulf and bypassing Cape Coral and Fort Myers, for the most part. At this trajectory it is headed for Biloxi and Gulfport, Miss or Louisiana as a Cat 3. In the meantime, don't be surprised if FPL shuts down the power grid as a precaution. In any event, it looks good for the area except for storm surge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
It's getting further and further West with every update. We have seen this happen many times before and I am guessing it will head up into the Northern Gulf states like they almost always do. I am sure we will get some wind and rain, but I wouldn't get to crazy with shutters until this weekend when the track starts getting more defined.
Keep in mind that Charley took a quick, unexpected turn and clobbered Punta Gorda. The same happened in 2005. I left Bonita after all models showed a direct hit to the area, but there was little damage where I lived and then it crossed the state, devastating much of SE Florida. My father was in Delray Beach without power for weeks and Wilma wasn't even supposed to affect that section of the state. So anything can happen at the last minute.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm a former long-term resident. I would put them on at Cat 1 and above.
I agree.

I'm also surprised when people leave Florida for any extended period that they don't automatically put up their hurricane shutters. That's the reason for having them!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 AM

So is Jim Syoen all riled up? I swear, by the time the news gets done with you all, you are ready for a nervous breakdown. Am I right?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Keep in mind that Charley took a quick, unexpected turn and clobbered Punta Gorda. The same happened in 2005. I left Bonita after all models showed a direct hit to the area, but there was little damage where I lived and then it crossed the state, devastating much of SE Florida. My father was in Delray Beach without power for weeks and Wilma wasn't even supposed to affect that section of the state. So anything can happen at the last minute.
Charley had a completely different path and came from a completely different location. This thing is not going to make any quick turns to the East, the only option is North and West.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:03 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Isaac is moving fast. Strengthening but still only at 65 mph sustained winds. I expect that to pick up to 75 - 85 mph but momentum looks good for heading into the gulf and bypassing Cape Coral and Fort Myers, for the most part. At this trajectory it is headed for Biloxi and Gulfport, Miss or Louisiana as a Cat 3. In the meantime, don't be surprised if FPL shuts down the power grid as a precaution. In any event, it looks good for the area except for storm surge.
As of the 2:00 advisory it actually slowed down and weakened and is only projected at mid Cat 2 as it comes on shore in Mobile, AL. Again, as usual (99% of the time) it will almost completely miss SWF and the storm surge is going to be less than Debbie. Little rain and some wind. No hurricane shutters needed!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Be careful, Billy. Please, please don't tell people that it is 99 percent of the time. We have a big discussion about this on the main Florida forum. Folks that have lived in Florida awhile agree that is a big mistake. Never, ever get complacent. The problem is the news organizations will hype the storm and then nothing happens. This happens over and over. And then the big one hits.

By the way, that was my prediction, the Cat 3, and not what the National Weather Service is giving.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:51 PM

646 posts, read 1,642,233 times
Reporting live from Cape Coral...shutters are up-because SAFETY FIRST!

The wind has been gusting up to about 30mph. Rain off and on. No flooding where I am at. yet.

Ft myers beach/bonita beach had a mandatory evacuation due to storm surge. Not sure what to expect with flooding. We will probably see more as the storm moves west.

As for knowing the path-I think no one knows. They can predict all they want, but it can do ANYTHING. Just like Charley.

Don't become complacent just because you lived through a storm before. Prepare and stay alert. Most importantly, stay safe SW FL!!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times
I shuttered - because I have windows from 1978 and barely hanging on Plus, some of them needed rinsed off from laying down in the dirt / mulch. Otherwise, I kinda feel disappointed / let down. My first "weather" down here was disappointing.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 PM

282 posts, read 1,008,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRESI View Post
Reporting live from Cape Coral...shutters are up-because SAFETY FIRST!

The wind has been gusting up to about 30mph. Rain off and on. No flooding where I am at. yet.

Ft myers beach/bonita beach had a mandatory evacuation due to storm surge. Not sure what to expect with flooding. We will probably see more as the storm moves west.

As for knowing the path-I think no one knows. They can predict all they want, but it can do ANYTHING. Just like Charley.

Don't become complacent just because you lived through a storm before. Prepare and stay alert. Most importantly, stay safe SW FL!!
Thank you so much for updating! Could you please keep us posted? Our house is in the NW section East of Burnt store Rd. and we have been wondering how things are going down there. We found someone to put our shutters on just to be on the safe side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area