Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I did read the original post and the replies. I still think it's very sad. We judge "what kind of people" we see just because they have nowhere to sleep. "There but for the grace of God..."
That part of Fort Myers is the ghetto and people living in the woods and sleeping on the ground is common place.

Sad? Sure it is, but you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. Some people make bad choices and are now living the consequences of those bad choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 AM

693 posts, read 2,012,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
That part of Fort Myers is the ghetto and people living in the woods and sleeping on the ground is common place.

Sad? Sure it is, but you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. Some people make bad choices and are now living the consequences of those bad choices.
Agreed!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 AM

199 posts, read 567,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Agreed!

Yup, me too. At least they're living in a climate where they can actually survive outside. Try being homeless up in Boston, MA. There are places to go and opportunities for homeless people to better their situations, but they have to want to do it and be willing to work hard to get their lives back on the right track. The truly sad part is that many of them don't want to make the effort. "God helps those who help themselves......."

Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
I'm still surprised the area just behind the football stadium is considered the ghetto.

It's only a few hundred yards from the homes along the river, which I always thought was an upscale area.

In our town of Springfield VA, the upper middle-class areas are usually at least a couple miles from the ghetto.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I'm still surprised the area just behind the football stadium is considered the ghetto.

It's only a few hundred yards from the homes along the river, which I always thought was an upscale area.

In our town of Springfield VA, the upper middle-class areas are usually at least a couple miles from the ghetto.
A few hundred yards? It's more like a quarter mile to the river and McGregor kind of segregates them from other areas. Take a ride through that neighbor at night. Let us know what you see.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Yes, there are a lot of bums who create their own misery. Maybe they used drugs, maybe they gambled or maybe they just didn't use any common sense and moved to Florida without a job and figured they'd get by because it's warm and sunny here.

There are also many people who, through not fault of their own, became homeless. It's so easy to judge others when you have a roof over your head and a hot meal.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, there are a lot of bums who create their own misery. Maybe they used drugs, maybe they gambled or maybe they just didn't use any common sense and moved to Florida without a job and figured they'd get by because it's warm and sunny here.

There are also many people who, through not fault of their own, became homeless. It's so easy to judge others when you have a roof over your head and a hot meal.

There is a percent of those with mental illness that are homeless and unless they are a danger to themselves or others, nothing can be done. In those cases I always wonder, where is the family?

But those who lived beyond means, (bought too much house with not enough income, gambled it away, snorted it away, drank it away, lusted it away..etc...) Yup...the burden is their's and their's alone to bear. Can't say I feel too sorry for people like that.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Unfortunately, Fort Myers is very spotty. You can be in a very, very lovely neighborhood and literally have a bad neighborhood one street away. And this is like this throughout the area.

Regarding the homeless, I've been there before. It can happen to anyone. Most of the people in this country are one paycheck away from a disaster and not having family is not a crime. There are thousands upon thousands of people that have no support system through absolutely no fault of their own. Not all of us come from large families. Some of us are only children from abusive families. Good golly.

Regarding the mentally ill, those seem to be the people that stay on the streets the longest. The rest of us almost always manage to make their way, usually by getting a break from the angels among us. Trust me, we are legion. But the mentally ill wandering all of the streets in this country is a travesty.

However, none of that has anything to do with the original poster's remarks regarding his incredulity regarding Fort Myers. The area has changed a LOT since he lived there and not for the better in many, many ways. I strongly advise him to stop wandering around like that. He could get seriously hurt or worse. The murder rate in Fort Myers is up.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,050 times
I'm with you, Hik. Thanks for injecting some rational thinking and real life experiences into this thread. I have never been homeless, but when my mom died when I was 18 and my dad just 5 years later, things looked bleak for a time. I could've been in those woods or under a bridge in a blink of an eye.

Some folks have absolutely no empathy. It's not always black and white, and that isn't a pun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Unfortunately, Fort Myers is very spotty. You can be in a very, very lovely neighborhood and literally have a bad neighborhood one street away. And this is like this throughout the area.

Regarding the homeless, I've been there before. It can happen to anyone. Most of the people in this country are one paycheck away from a disaster and not having family is not a crime. There are thousands upon thousands of people that have no support system through absolutely no fault of their own. Not all of us come from large families. Some of us are only children from abusive families. Good golly.

Regarding the mentally ill, those seem to be the people that stay on the streets the longest. The rest of us almost always manage to make their way, usually by getting a break from the angels among us. Trust me, we are legion. But the mentally ill wandering all of the streets in this country is a travesty.

However, none of that has anything to do with the original poster's remarks regarding his incredulity regarding Fort Myers. The area has changed a LOT since he lived there and not for the better in many, many ways. I strongly advise him to stop wandering around like that. He could get seriously hurt or worse. The murder rate in Fort Myers is up.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
I'm with you, Hik. Thanks for injecting some rational thinking and real life experiences into this thread. I have never been homeless, but when my mom died when I was 18 and my dad just 5 years later, things looked bleak for a time. I could've been in those woods or under a bridge in a blink of an eye.

Some folks have absolutely no empathy. It's not always black and white, and that isn't a pun.

Your situation is a different than most others...you had no control over what happened in your life at such a young age.....obviously that's not what we were talking about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: