Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFolds View Post
Glad to see someone who could find a pittie friendly rental. We are relocating to SW Florida from Indiana and have resigned that we are going to have to find ours a new family. It sucks that the breed is so stereotyped and misunderstood because of bad owners and media profiling.

Anyone who thinks a Pitbull is a bad dog because it's a Pitbull has never loved one. If a Pitbull is bad, 99.9% of the time it's the other end of the leash that is the problem. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners....regardless of breed.
Just wanted to bring this to your attention.....they are bred to attack.These were not all bad owners.It is a dangerous breed.

In the first 5 months of 2013, pit bulls inflicted 93 percent of all dog bite fatalities. This is well above the average of 60 percent from 2005 to 2012.
As the pit bull population rises, more human fatalities ensue. During the last eight-year period (1991-98) that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied fatal attacks by breed, pit bulls were estimated at 1 percent of the U.S. dog population. Pit bulls killed an average of three people per year.
The pit bull population has since grown to 4 percent. During the most recent eight-year period (2005-12), pit bulls killed an average of 19 people per year.
If the current rate of fatalities inflicted by pit bulls continues, 33 Americans will lose their lives to pit bulls by the end of 2013.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM

45 posts, read 78,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Just wanted to bring this to your attention.....they are bred to attack.These were not all bad owners.It is a dangerous breed.
Do you have or know a pitbull personally? I'm gonna wager the answer is no. Or if you do and it's anything other than a high energy, lovable goofball then you also know the problem on the other end of the leash I mentioned.

Yes, 200 years ago someone crossbred bull dogs and terriers to create a strong, tough dog that was good in the ring to blood fight against bears and bulls.

Spout whatever numbers help you justify your perception. The fact remains and always will that dogs, all dogs, regardless of breed have a basic need for love and acceptance, desire to please and be rewarded, and loyalty to their pack leader (human master). Breeding may control some aspects of their behavior such as hunting, that's evolution. EVERYTHING else is a direct result of training, and conditioning or lack thereof. Just like humans they are a product of their environment. If you know a bad dog, pit or other, then you know a bad owner.

I have owned, loved, trained and rescued them from jergoffs who would try to train them for fighting. They are spectacular creatures that are unbelievably loving and loyal. Until you know and love a pitbull personally, you'll never understand why they are one of the best dogs a person can have.

If the numbers you can find help you to feel justified in believing that from the moment a puppy is born that it is predetermined to be a dangerous killer, so be it. You're wrong, but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 02:23 PM

Don't want to get into a pi$$'n match with you Jimbo, because I can see you're an animal lover,as we are and you definately have a big heart to take in rescue animals.Just pointing out that you are wrong....otherwise,how do you explain that a breed that is only 4% can be responsible for 97% of all deaths....not to mention the thousands of maimings and other attacks.
"there are no bad dogs,just bad owners" has always been the mantra of pit bull owners and almost all of them,whose dog attacked someone,told the same story that you did about how gentle and loving they are....... they snap for no apparent reason,no matter good an owner you are.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
....otherwise,how do you explain that a breed that is only 4% can be responsible for 97% of all deaths....not to mention the thousands of maimings and other attacks.
It's simple demographics. The next time you read a story of a pitbull attacking someone look at the neighborhood. Was it a quiet family neighborhood or was it on the shady side of town? Odds are that it was somewhere known for less than desireable people who got a pitbull because they think they make good guard dogs or they tried to make them fighters and then someone got in the wrong place and the dog followed what it had been trained to do. People who live in rough areas are not going to get a yorkie or a pug to try to intimidate people from coming on the property. They are going to get a Pit, Rottweiler, or Dobberman. Then when they do bite the neighbor kid, do you actually think they are going to tell the news crew or the cops it was because that is what they trained it to do? Not likely.... Again, you are a product of your environment. Doesn't matter if you're a human or dog, you will do what you are conditioned to do. The reason 4% account for 97% is that even an 8yr old can grab a poodle by it's scruff and hold it to the ground to stop an attack. Not so easy to do with an animal that is 50+lbs of pure muscle.

I'll let you find the numbers on this since you seem to have an affliction for percentages. I've lived it so I don't need to see the stats to know the truth...... You are much more likely to get bitten by a small breed dog than by a large breed. The difference is that it doesn't make headlines when Aunt Millies toy poodle bites the hell out of you. I've been bitten by six dogs in my life, five of the six were small breed, the other was a yellow lab of all things but none were by so called "vicious" breeds.

Quote:
....... they snap for no apparent reason,no matter good an owner you are.
Ok, do you own a dog of any breed? I ask because if you did you would know that dogs don't snap for no reason. As I said I've been bit six times. All six were a direct reaction to something I had done and I never blame the dog for being a dog. It's always been because I've stepped on, intimidated, cornered, challenged or otherwise done something intentional or accidental that invoked that reaction. Dogs bite.... go figure. This is not breed specific, it's species generic. Startle, surprise, corner or challenge any dog and you're probably going to get snapped at. Again, Aunt Millies poodle snaps at you and nobody cares but OMG, that killer pitbull snapped because you startled him and it's headlines and animal control at your house.

We are going to end up agreeing to disagree no doubt. I own pitties, love all breeds and despise prejudice based on information gained by anything other than personal experience. You will never convince a Pit lover they are bad animals and we will likely never convince you otherwise until you get to know one.

Last edited by JimboFolds; 01-21-2014 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 AM

1. Betty Todd, 65-years old - Killed by her son's pet pit bull.
  2. Christian Gormanous, 4-years old - Killed by his neighbor's chained pit bull
  3. Elsie Grace, 91-years old - Killed by her son's two pit bulls
  4. Isaiah Aguilar, 2-years old - Killed by his neighbor's chained pit bull
  5. Ryan Maxwell, 7-years old - Killed by a pit bull while visiting family friends
  6. Daxton Borchardt, 14-months old - Killed by his babysitter's two pet pit bulls
  7. Monica Laminack, 21-months old - Killed by her family's pet pit bulls
  8. Tyler Jett, 7-years old - Killed by his neighbor's two pit bull-mix dogs
  9. Claudia Gallardo, 38-years old - Killed by a property owner's pit bull
  10. Jordyn Arndt, 4-years old - Killed by her babysitter's pit bull
  11. Beau Rutledge, 2-years old - Killed by his family's pet pit bull
  12. Rachael Honabarger, 35-years old - Killed by her family German shepherd
  13. Pamela Devitt, 63-years old - Killed by a pack of loose pit bulls
  14. Carlton Freeman, 80-years old - Killed by four roaming pit bulls
These are the people who were killed by pit bulls last year.you'll notice that several were killed by roaming dogs but it's even more disturbing that many were killed by their own family pets including two children.
Statistics don't lie and most of these cases don't involve any of the circumstances that you discribe.I don't think that the 8 children or the 80 and 90 year old intimidated, cornered, challenged or startled any of these animals.
I rest my case.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:09 AM

Ok, as I said, we are going to have to agree to disagree. I won't convince you and you're more or less just proving my point of media hype with stats and blog stories.

All of these stories are sad and tragic, no doubt or question about it. Did you actually read them past the words pitbull attack though?
I could go through them one by one and point out the things that prove my position but I have other things to do today so I'll generalize:
- bad ownersip (chained and penned dog =non-socialized or neglected in most cases.
- violent prior histories toward other animals (again, socialization)
- unknown circumstances prior to the attack. (Pull a tail, step on a paw, smack a nose, or attack a family member (percieved by yelling at or spanking a child) and a dog will typically react with a bite or other natural defense of itself or the family member)
-all of the stories are of very young unattended children or elderly non-owners who should have never been left in charge of animal with aggressive pasts. (If the dog was able to get in more than a single bite that was a throat lock or 15 seconds of atttack, the child was unattended.)
- ferrel, strayed, or wild dogs. (Starving, untrained, pack animals don't get to be counted)

And then there is number12 that was a German Shepard that was likely bred with an aggressive trait for police or military use or had prolonged use of shock collars and other methods to enduce aggressive behavior according to the article....conditioned to attack...proving my point.

We can go round and round for days. I will always think you're wrong for condemning an entire breed based on limited fact stories and lack of personal experiences. You will always think I am wrong because you've read the stories and have no desire to aquire a personal relationship with the breed before judging them.

You will never change my mind, I'll never change yours, agree to disagree.

We now return you to your originally scheduled topic....... EmJayBee, congrats on finding a place where you and your dogs can live happily!

Last edited by JimboFolds; 01-22-2014 at 09:23 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 PM

Fair enough and good luck......people are probably sick of us anyway,hijacking this thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:55 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
I dont understand why people are so ignorant when it comes to the dangers of pit bulls. Just because they own one that isnt vicious, doesnt mean that the breed doesnt deserve to be treated with extreme caution. As you said, they are bred to fight. Ive seen too many cases of people seriously bitten and maimed by them.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I dont understand why people are so ignorant when it comes to the dangers of pit bulls. Just because they own one that isnt vicious, doesnt mean that the breed doesnt deserve to be treated with extreme caution. As you said, they are bred to fight. Ive seen too many cases of people seriously bitten and maimed by them.
Ignorance is judging something you don't know. I'll agree that there is a level of knowledge and caution that must be applied, kind of common sense when dealing with any animal or anything dangerous for that matter. Put a gun in the wrong hands and people die, in the right hands lives are saved. Put a drunk behind the wheel of a car and people die, in responsible hands a person gains independance. Let an idiot have a pitbull...... hmmmm, wonder if anyone ever considered compentancy ownership licensing as a solution......

ok, moving on..... I've made my case already.....

Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmJayBee View Post
luckily we found a nice townhouse in fort myers 5 minutes from the beach. so happy we found a new place to give our beautiful pitbull a home =]
Glad you found a place to live with your dog. Dogs are family too, and I know most people would pass on a home before giving away their children. I know these dogs get a bad rep due to people who want to raise a mean dog for whatever reason choose a pitbull because they are strong. We had several breed dogs growing up including a pit bull. We raised them well and they behaved that way unless our safety was threatened. When I adopted a dog that had lots of Pit in him I called the insurance agency first. They said a Pit was the only dog they would not insure. I told the adoption agency this and they said "he looks more like a lab to me". I adopted the Pit Lab that day. Never had a problem with him.

http://mabbr.org/pit-bull-ownership/...out-pit-bulls/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area