Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM

130 posts, read 276,244 times

Advertisements

If the pool is not heated, what are the typical months that you can use an inground pool in this area? I will use it anytime the water is in the high 70's. I know that how much sun it gets is also a factor, but just asking in general. Are you in your pools now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 PM

28 posts, read 49,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
If the pool is not heated, what are the typical months that you can use an inground pool in this area? I will use it anytime the water is in the high 70's. I know that how much sun it gets is also a factor, but just asking in general. Are you in your pools now?
You would probably only be able to use it January through December each year.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,823,680 times
70? Are you sure? Even in competitive swimming where the pool temp is cooler than average, the setting is usually around 75 for an indoor pool. Will you be using the pool for laps or just splashing around? If so, 80 is going to be a lot more comfortable. I like the water to be 82 to 84.

Many people cover their pools for 4 or 5 months in the cooler months and use them from May-Nov, but there have been so many changes in the weather over the past few years, it's difficult to say when the temperature will be warm enough for swimming. It's only April and Fort Myers reached 90 degrees this week. Humidity will have an effect, but if you are happy with water that's 70 and don't care about air temperature, then I agree with Siberian's above comment.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:01 PM

Default I said the high 70's...

I have a pool wayyyyy farther north, and I tolerate 77-80. On a sunny day 75+, I can still float around and do some exercises. No sun - forget it! Up here, our nights get cooler so it takes longer for our pools to heat up. Plus I think the ground is colder here. I am surprised - with your warmer nights I thought your pool season would be in full swing by March. I guess I need to look into solar panels! I have solar panels that lay on the ground and extend the season about a month on each side up here.

I know what the air temperatures are by you, but I don't know how long it takes for your pools to warm up. We are in the process of buying a house in CC and will be down there in two weeks. I'm hoping our pool will be ready to use!

I read where someone said the pool temp was about the same as the gulf temp. Do you find that to be true? That would mean your pools are about 79 right now.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 PM

700 posts, read 1,806,271 times
Yep, the pool temp is about what the gulf is. We have a heat pump and worth every penny! Bought it used on CL for $780 1.5 years ago (lots of junk out there though). We need the pool to be 87 MINIMUM! It was 90 today. When the temps get cold at night we loose a lot of heat. When it only gets into the 70's at night and mid 80's during the day, the Heat pump works perfect. We usually turn off the heat pump round xmas and don't turn back on till end of Feb. This year it was a little late due to the cold fronts at night.
Cheers!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 PM

47,835 posts, read 21,870,215 times
It was really hot around my house today and I have the A/C going in the house (76). I decided to try the pool. The temp in the pool was at 80 degrees......I still found it hard to do more than wade in up to my waist.....I felt it was "cold"....but I was by myself.....if someone else had been going in with me....I think we would have encouraged one another and gotten in and swam around for awhile.

so yes it is about the same as the gulf water right now.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Default heat pump?

That's a new term. Is that an electrical heater? I've head the electric bills can go up dramatically. I guess I will have to do some research on heat pumps. It appears to work very well for you.
I am very happy with the solar heater up here as it usually keeps the pool at air temperature plus a few degrees. So if the high is 80, the pool is 83-ish. We do cover it at night. Of course, we have snow, so I cannot expect it to go year round. Once the nights dip into the low 50's, it's all over.
Florida is a new climate and new things to learn.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:26 PM

47,835 posts, read 21,870,215 times
We put in a small size heater to heat the spa......it was really very unsatisfactory.....cost a lot to install and the month of December when we were trying to use it......our electric bill jumped by almost $300 for the month .... up to $500. We haven't used it since.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM

Default heat pump cost

What does your heat pump cost to operate? I assume you don't need it in the summer months. Is this something that heats the water rapidly when you want to use it? Say if you had company in Feb who wants to go swimming?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Default Elston...

I will forgo swimming in winter if that's what it cost! There must be some heated pools somewhere I can use if need be. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area