Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 AM

10 posts, read 16,295 times

Advertisements

The golf cart thing I just put out as when I looked into a couple of over 55 places last time in floriday / 2 years ago everyone seemed to be driving them. As far as wheelhouse? My age is 62 and I am trying hard to get out of here into the sun. Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 06:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Purcell View Post
The golf cart thing I just put out as when I looked into a couple of over 55 places last time in floriday / 2 years ago everyone seemed to be driving them. As far as wheelhouse? My age is 62 and I am trying hard to get out of here into the sun. Peter
Well, he lives in Melbourne. That's in Central Florida, near the Atlantic Ocean. I strongly urge you to check out The Villages.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 PM

17 posts, read 42,709 times
"It is a long hard winter and going south means being able to swim in the ocean all winter .... unless the odd exception happens with the weather". You'll need to go further south than Fort Myers for this. The average gulf water temperature is in the low to mid 60's during the winter and you'll need wet suits to swim in the gulf comfortably. The ocean on the east coast might be warmer during the winter, but the shallow gulf coast water cools off pretty quickly in the fall. For swimming, you'll want to buy a place with access to a nice heated pool. If you aren't buying a home with a private pool, you'll be sharing it with a lot of other people in the winter, so make sure you know your neighbors before you buy. The weather is definitely nicer here than up north, and the daylight is an hour or 2 longer.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM

Default I don't know name?Can you please Elaborate

I don't know the name of the place? I have landed at the Punta gorda airport 2 times on my visits to Florida. The 2nd time I did not get back / I was using DIRECT AIR and they went bust but Visa was nice enough to give be back a refund. Good old credit cards. Sometimes they do work.

Can you elaborate more on I don't know the place... What was the place or is the place... Interested.

Thank You / Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I don't know the name of the place but it is located in Punta Gorda on Burnt store road. it is very close to shopping and not far from down town. and I am pretty sure they use golf carts.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 AM

374 posts, read 795,803 times
I can't speak of any areas outside of Ft Myers, but my observations within Ft Myers on some of your questions are as follows (probably a little out of order)

Of the "gated" communities, I don't see too many golf carts. Property is at a premium here and the communities aren't really big enough to have golf carts (Whiskey Creek allows them but that is an "ungated" area with mostly single family and duplex homes.) Regardless, even if there are communities with carts, they aren't allowed outside the confinements of the community.

As far as costs in 3 years time in this area. I am afraid that another "bubble" is starting to form. Value has already risen 25-30 % in the last couple years. A condo that cost me 40 thousand 4 years ago, now goes for 79 thousand.

There are lot of really nice gated and non gated condo associations that could be in your budget. (depending on what that is) but I wouldn't count on being able to rent it out during the "non season" months. First off, if it is away from the beach (a few miles inland) most association do not allow you to rent for less than a 3 month time frame. Beach condo are allowed to be rented out on a weekly basis. That really cuts in to the possibility of renting outside of the High Season.

Just a few of my random thoughts on the subject.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
As usual, you are dead on with your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paradise View Post
I can't speak of any areas outside of Ft Myers, but my observations within Ft Myers on some of your questions are as follows (probably a little out of order)

Of the "gated" communities, I don't see too many golf carts. Property is at a premium here and the communities aren't really big enough to have golf carts (Whiskey Creek allows them but that is an "ungated" area with mostly single family and duplex homes.) Regardless, even if there are communities with carts, they aren't allowed outside the confinements of the community.

As far as costs in 3 years time in this area. I am afraid that another "bubble" is starting to form. Value has already risen 25-30 % in the last couple years. A condo that cost me 40 thousand 4 years ago, now goes for 79 thousand.

There are lot of really nice gated and non gated condo associations that could be in your budget. (depending on what that is) but I wouldn't count on being able to rent it out during the "non season" months. First off, if it is away from the beach (a few miles inland) most association do not allow you to rent for less than a 3 month time frame. Beach condo are allowed to be rented out on a weekly basis. That really cuts in to the possibility of renting outside of the High Season.

Just a few of my random thoughts on the subject.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,088,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Purcell View Post
I don't know the name of the place? I have landed at the Punta gorda airport 2 times on my visits to Florida. The 2nd time I did not get back / I was using DIRECT AIR and they went bust but Visa was nice enough to give be back a refund. Good old credit cards. Sometimes they do work.

Can you elaborate more on I don't know the place... What was the place or is the place... Interested.

Thank You / Peter
Look up amberjack alley punts Gorda FM on Google maps street view. It looks like a double wide resort with community pool right around the corner from public and home depot then maybe try zillow by map view and see if there's anything for sale. I'd help you out more but I'm up at my camp in Nh with just my smartphone

Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,088,708 times
I looked on zillow and it is called eagle point. It is a 55+ community. I only saw one for sale for 95k

Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Default To Nhkev and all of you: Thanks for your help.

To Nhkev and all of you: Thanks for your help in finding out for us. We really appreciate all the help and advice from you folks that participate in this forum. It truly has helped us generate some thoughts and ideas and the advice is super. I am sure that many... MANY others have been helped by all of you as well. Our deep thanks and gratitude goes out to all of you that take the time to respond to our many questions. Peter

Old 07-17-2013, 01:34 PM

374 posts, read 795,803 times
Your so welcome. I know this forum helped me a lot 4 years ago when I purchased a home down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area