Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 05:18 PM

199 posts, read 567,502 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My boyfriend will be moving down from VA to Cape Coral in a few months and will be trailering his 21ft sport boat. I live on a canal and I have a boat lift, and ultimately we plan on keeping the boat on the lift, but I don't think our first priority after driving 1000 miles will be to bring the boat down to the boat launch and drive it up to the house. What are the requirements for keeping a boat on a trailer in a driveway for a couple of days? Can I apply for a permit for this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:02 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemidancer View Post
Hi Folks,

My boyfriend will be moving down from VA to Cape Coral in a few months and will be trailering his 21ft sport boat. I live on a canal and I have a boat lift, and ultimately we plan on keeping the boat on the lift, but I don't think our first priority after driving 1000 miles will be to bring the boat down to the boat launch and drive it up to the house. What are the requirements for keeping a boat on a trailer in a driveway for a couple of days? Can I apply for a permit for this?

Thanks!
I put my boat in at the boat ramp then brought to my dock on a vacant lot. I parked my trailer on the vacant land went out on the boat and upon return I had a citation sticker on my trailer saying I had xxx days to move it or face a fine. If you were to park it there for just a couple of days the worst thing that would happen is a sticker. Or you could just pull it into your back yard.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:51 AM

297 posts, read 509,123 times
We did the same thing as you, but from MD. Kept our boat on the trailer in the side yard for a week until we put the boat in and drove it around to the lift. The trailer is still parked their. Is their room beside your house, or do you have homes on both side? Don't know about keeping it in the driveway, although you will see some folks doing it in the Cape. We keep our trailer parked on the side of our house towards the rear of the lot and haven't been bothered about it yet.
Don't know if some areas of the Cape are more sensitive to this or not. We live in the NW section.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 AM

199 posts, read 567,502 times
We can put it on the side, but it will definitely be visible. We can't put it in the back yard because it's fenced in and the gate isn't wide enough to fit the boat trailer through.

If worse comes to worse, we can just put in the side yard for a couple of days, and if we receive a fine, so be it.

Thanks all!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:26 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemidancer View Post
We can put it on the side, but it will definitely be visible. We can't put it in the back yard because it's fenced in and the gate isn't wide enough to fit the boat trailer through.

If worse comes to worse, we can just put in the side yard for a couple of days, and if we receive a fine, so be it.

Thanks all!
"Boats and RV owners do have the option of parking either in their back yard. The vessels must be parked behind the back corner of the home."
Commercial Trucks, Boats & RVs not allowed in driveways: Hindering economic growth or preventing blight? | CapeCoral.com

Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 PM

146 posts, read 375,323 times
Get hold of the city. Tell them it's just temporary. Unless you have some really butthole neighbors you'll be OK.

Citizen Support Center

Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM

47 posts, read 147,037 times
Agreed w/ mnpedwards. Call Code Enforcement and let em know your bringing in a new boat and will need to keep it in the driveway a couple days before relocating it to your dock. They'll understand.

The code your looking for is LDR 3.11.6
.6 Boats and boat trailers. It shall be unlawful for any person to park, store, keep or maintain, or permit to be parked, stored, kept or maintained in front or side yard of a single or multiple-family residence, or on a vacant lot in a residential area, any boat or empty boat trailer, either or both. A boat, a boat on a trailer, or an empty boat trailer may be parked on the rear yard provided the same is not allowed to fall into a state of disrepair, or grass or weeds allowed to grow around or under it to a height exceeding 12 inches, in which event it may then be declared a nuisance and the owner charged accordingly. An empty boat trailer may be parked at a launching site during the period of time that the boat is launched therefrom for a single voyage and while in the process of loading or unloading the boat and/or trailer. A boat, empty boat trailer, or a boat on a trailer may be parked entirely within the confines of a garage or carport meeting the requirements of this ordinance.

PCW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area