Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:52 PM

57 posts, read 124,986 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm a 30 yr old single, no kids, Female from Austin TX and I am planning on moving to Ft Myers in June 2014. I was wondering if Florida required its residents to have annual vehicle safety inspections? I've been researching and can't seem to find an answer. They make us do that here in TX.

I've been reading a bunch of topics on here and I'm almost afraid to move now with all the bad things people are saying about the job situation. I was planning on moving there with at least $16,000 saved up and looking for a job once I get there. I would be looking for an office administrative or clerical position. Every time I do a job search for office clerical positions in Ft Myers, several entries always come up. Certainly it couldn't be as bad as people are suggesting it is? I was hoping to find some reputable temp agencies that I could apply at as well.

Anyway, I look forward to moving to Florida. I have a friend who lives there in Ft Myers and I have always enjoyed it the times I came to visit him. I am so sick of Texas and ready for a change. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:53 PM

199 posts, read 567,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowlove83 View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if Florida required its residents to have annual vehicle safety inspections?
No, annual vehicle safety inspections are not required, which means that there are a lot of dangerous pieces of crap on the road. I personally have my car inspected every year to ensure it's safe, but sadly, its not a requirement.

Quote:
I was planning on moving there with at least $16,000 saved up and looking for a job once I get there. ........ Certainly it couldn't be as bad as people are suggesting it is?
I would say this is not a good plan - you should definitely have some sort of employment lined up beforehand, or at the very least, talk with some recruiters before you get here and get their feedback on job prospects in your field.

Quote:
Anyway, I look forward to moving to Florida. I have a friend who lives there in Ft Myers and I have always enjoyed it the times I came to visit him. I am so sick of Texas and ready for a change. :-)
It's a great place to live, but be sure to do your homework first in terms of housing, jobs and weather. If you just show up hoping to 'wing it', you may be disappointed.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
I agree about doing your homework first. But there is 90% employment here (10% unemployment) so there is a good a chance for you to find work. If you come around this time of year you could probably find a waitress job while looking for something better. The season starts this time of year with lots of snowbirds here until about March or April.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
What the heck.....you're young and single and should get a pass for not always being practical.It will be a great adventure and you'll eventually find some work that you like.Besides,there's all those nice beaches

Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 AM

158 posts, read 381,624 times
I moved from Texas to Cape Coral a couple of years ago and, as mentioned before, there are no car inspections here. However, the cost of registering you car will more than make up for the money you save by not having an inspection--probably double what you pay in Texas. Car insurance is about the same if you can find someone to return your calls when searching for a quote.

This is about the worse place in the states to look for a job. From what I've seen, about the only jobs available are minimum wage and/or temporary. If I were in your shoes, I would try to find someway to work on the Internet to make a living so you wouldn't have to depend on the local economy.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:03 PM

Hey thanks for the advice. I am handicapped and wouldn't be able to perform a waitressing job. My clumsy butt would drop the food lol! I currently work as an administrative assistant at a state agency here in TX and have been at my current job for 10 years. I need to work a job that I can sit more than stand. I have bookmarked the state of Florida employment website and hopefully I can find a state job there. My current position doesn't transfer unfortunately.
My other option is Ft Lauderdale, there seem to be more state jobs over there and I love Lauderdale as much as Myers.
I will have enough income for six months, so I am going to see what I can find. Worst case scenario, I'll move back to Texas.

Last edited by rainbowlove83; 11-12-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 01:06 PM

I definitely believe you guys about it being hard for even the locals to find jobs. My poor friend, who has lived there for years has been out of work since 2011 and even he has not been able to find a job since! He does have a felony on his record so I imagine that throws a whole other challenging element in the mix. He seems to think I won't have any problems finding work here since I have a clean record.

One other silly question, what is the insect situation like? I hope Florida doesn't have nasty cockroaches like TX does. I keep hearing about Palmetto bugs and how they are similar to roaches. yuck!

Old 11-13-2013, 04:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Rainbow, I wouldn't come here without a job. What you're looking for a) doesn't pay much and b) there are hundreds of applicants every time one opens up. Clean record or not, you're going to have a tough time. A lot of times it's not what you know, but who you know.

Having some savings is good, at least you can get by until you do find a job. Finding a rental without a job is another story...they wont' usually take your savings into account because you're already living off of it.

The reason you friends isn't working is because he's a felon. No one around here will hire them..day labors will, but that's about it.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 6,447 times
Quote:
Hello,
I'm a 30 yr old single, no kids, Female from Austin TX and I am planning on moving to Ft Myers in June 2014. I was wondering if Florida required its residents to have annual vehicle safety inspections? I've been researching and can't seem to find an answer. They make us do that here in TX.

I've been reading a bunch of topics on here and I'm almost afraid to move now with all the bad things people are saying about the job situation. I was planning on moving there with at least $16,000 saved up and looking for a job once I get there. I would be looking for an office administrative or clerical position. Every time I do a job search for office clerical positions in Ft Myers, several entries always come up. Certainly it couldn't be as bad as people are suggesting it is? I was hoping to find some reputable temp agencies that I could apply at as well.

If you are not an elderly republican 65+, stay away from SWFL....

Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
why move here? You're young. You're moving from a vibrant city to a retirement community thats seasonal at best when it comes to jobs. Hope you like closes down at 8pm kinda town. Downtown Ft. Myers is a dump, they've been trying to revive it for I dunno 10 years. Still mostly boarded up shops. And have you looked at crime stats for Ft. Myers? Its shocking when we don't hear of a stabbing, robbery or murder for more than 2 days.. mistake mistake. tsk tsk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area