Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 PM

95 posts, read 219,427 times

Advertisements

When we were looking around th move to SWFL we checked into moving into Cape Coral and found all
Their rules and regulation. That's why we chose to move outside of Fort Myers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmy40 View Post
When we were looking around th move to SWFL we checked into moving into Cape Coral and found all
And yet many of us like the regulations. I wish all the regulations were enforced.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 AM

964 posts, read 2,064,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
And yet many of us like the regulations. I wish all the regulations were enforced.
So true, Riko. So true. As someone who always avoided HOAs, Cape Coral's rules and regs are not overly strict....just guidelines that create and maintain the great community we enjoy here. For those who want to live unencumbered by any rules at all are free to live outside of incorporated limits, chancing the chickens, the junk cars, and all the other eyesores that tend to pop up.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
So true, Riko. So true. As someone who always avoided HOAs, Cape Coral's rules and regs are not overly strict....just guidelines that create and maintain the great community we enjoy here. For those who want to live unencumbered by any rules at all are free to live outside of incorporated limits, chancing the chickens, the junk cars, and all the other eyesores that tend to pop up.

human nature is interesting sometimes. Some people think they want freedom to do whatever they want. But it doesn't always extend outside of themselves. They are content to do whatever they want with their property but if their neighbors do something they don't agree with, such as opening a strip bar, coffee roasting, brewery, a small business,a prison, a dump, windfarm, nuclear plant or junk yard. Because it effecting their quality of life then all of the sudden they come out full force expecting the local and state gov't to do something about it. The country is full of Nimby's. There are plenty of places in the country where land is available for anyone to do almost anything they want. Land should always be set aside to accommodate those lifestyle choices. Everyone is so quick to blame and demonize the gov't but yet they are usually the ones who scream the loudest demanding gov't to fix things when it effects them.

In this particular situation does anyone know where this woman is getting water from? It is not the rain barrels alone. those are tops 40 gallons each. there is hardly any rainfall between October and May so 80 gallons cannot last more than a couple weeks. bathing, drinking, toilets, dishwashing, clothes washing. I wouldn't be surprised if she were taken water from canals on other peoples property or tapping into snowbirds garden hoses. as far as waste, if she is hooked up to the city sewer and not putting enough water into the flush she could be compromising the gravity fed sewer system. Are her traps going to dry up for lack of water bringing sewer gases in. is she using brackish water that brings salt into the plumbing system which can compromise components. All the mulch type material in her yard??? in she composting human waste that could get into the ground water? With no electricity is mold taking over her house? It very easily could have been her neighbors that complained to the code enforcement.

Last edited by nhkev; 12-20-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 10:22 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,322 times
This lady lives down the street from us. You'd never know from the outside that she's living off the grid. I do know she's always trying to sell her convertible BMW.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post

In this particular situation does anyone know where this woman is getting water from? It is not the rain barrels alone. those are tops 40 gallons each. there is hardly any rainfall between October and May so 80 gallons cannot last more than a couple weeks. bathing, drinking, toilets, dishwashing, clothes washing. I wouldn't be surprised if she were taken water from canals on other peoples property or tapping into snowbirds garden hoses.
Maybe she has a hand pump connected to her well. Stainless Steel Deep Well Hand Pump - Pump from as deep as 300'

Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 AM

130 posts, read 277,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmy40 View Post
What rules and regulations did you object to?
Where are all the rules and regulations? Are they online somewhere? I can't imagine they are much different than where we live now. When we drive outside city limits, we see homes/yards that I would not want to look at, so I have always appreciated the city ordinances where I live. But I'd like to read them to see if there are any surprises.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
What rules and regulations did you object to?
Where are all the rules and regulations? Are they online somewhere? I can't imagine they are much different than where we live now. When we drive outside city limits, we see homes/yards that I would not want to look at, so I have always appreciated the city ordinances where I live. But I'd like to read them to see if there are any surprises.
City of Cape Coral > Home
Click on laws and codes.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:52 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
I haven't really been researching, but I haven't heard much about off the grid living in Florida. I just don't get the feeling that even a rural area would support it for some reason.

It seems like more of a southwest/ Pacific Northwest thing to me.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,322 times
I've kind of looked around on the CC site and don't see anything for noise restrictions. There must not be any, I live very close to Viscaya and it's a normal daily occurrence to hear super loud motorcycles early in the am during the week not to mention boom box speakers in cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area