Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:30 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times

Advertisements

How and why, exactly, did it get that nickname? If you don't believe me, look up "lil pakistan" on the internet and see what results you get.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 AM

9 posts, read 59,903 times
Because it has one of the worst crime rates in Florida and alot of crime occurs like in Pakistan. Take a look at the Sean Taylor incident, the 4 who killed Taylor were all from Fort Myers.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:26 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,462 times
The City Council got together and chose a nickname based on a real place that was more appealing than Ft. Meyers.

Since Afghanastan was too "in the now" and Beirut was too passe, they chose Pakistan, which narrowly beat out "Baghdad", "Zimbabwe" and "Chechnya".

Old 12-01-2007, 06:33 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
The City Council got together and chose a nickname based on a real place that was more appealing than Ft. Meyers.

Since Afghanastan was too "in the now" and Beirut was too passe, they chose Pakistan, which narrowly beat out "Baghdad", "Zimbabwe" and "Chechnya".
Is this for real?

Old 12-01-2007, 07:11 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
There's no need to travel out of the states to find war zones, or the equivilent.. Just fly to Ft. Myers ehm Ft. Misery

Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 AM

172 posts, read 945,791 times
Ahhh, yes, because when I walk the streets of Fort Myers, I'm forever seeing shells of bombed buildings and having to duck the hale of bullets coming from every corner :P

Let's not trivialize real war zones and what people have to go through living in a war torn city by comparing it to Fort Myers.

Anyway, Little Pakistan, for as far as I can see, came about because of a rise in the hip-hop scene and it's not cool to be a rapper coming from the suburbs. You have to make it sound a little more fierce so by comparing to Pakistan, you can get some more cred.

Moderator deleted
Myspace for Slip-N-Slide records stating they are from 239 Pakistan, FL.

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-01-2007 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Link not allowed...

Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 PM

9 posts, read 59,903 times
No, it's called Pakistan because there's 11 year olds running our around with choppers just like in Pakistan.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:33 PM

63 posts, read 248,486 times
Yeah.. Fort Myers... the real ghetto.

When I was there a few weeks ago for the boat show in downtown it was so bad... there were children playing in the park and thousands of people walking around looking at the boats. People were eating in the restaurants. Can you believe that??? Out of control!

Whenever I go for any concerts or Red Sox spring training games I have to drive in by tank fully suited in Kevlar - makes Kosovo look like a playground.

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Like anywhere, there are a few bad neighborhoods but the people who compare it to the ghetto or call it Fort Misery (the same poster who now lives in boring, white-bread NH - I lived in North-Central Mass - most boring place on Earth and cold as all heck) need to go spend some time in a real city with some real bad neighborhoods (Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, etc). Spend a few days there and report back - the big bad ghetto streets of Fort Myers will suddenly look a bit tame.

Just like others said - it is to attempt to make your city of origin appear to be much for tougher than it really is.

As far as, "Because it has one of the worst crime rates in Florida and alot of crime occurs like in Pakistan. Take a look at the Sean Taylor incident, the 4 who killed Taylor were all from Fort Myers. "

Well, lets compare (relative to population) the amount of violent criminals now residing in greater Miami and compare to the criminals residing in greater Fort Myers. I believe Miami wins hands-down.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Well, I wouldn't want to live in Miami, either, so I don't get the comparison.

And for a place with that much crime, it better offer more than traffic, early-bird specials, few job opportunities and high housing prices.

Fort Misery? I was told that was the city's nickname within the first week of living there. If you haven't heard it called that I would be very surprised. It's as common as "Cape Coma."

Red Sox training stadium? Not a very good part of town.

By the way, I'm from south central Massachusetts.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
It due to the drug trade in Fort Myers and Cape Coral. Little Pakistan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area