Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 PM

103 posts, read 432,548 times

Advertisements

Mike p- I don't live in cape coral- however, I do like your post. There seems to be so many bitter angry people on this forum giving harsh and negative opinions about south FL as a whole. First off- it is hot and humid here for several months. People that move here without that understanding are dumb. It is South Florida after all. We have beautiful fall, winter springs here. Yes-it can be hot during those seasons as well- but overall it is really very beautiful. I grew up here- I get frustrated myself by all of the growth and congestion- but I get sick of hearing the complaints about the weather, the schools and the culture. All things considered it is a nice place to live with much to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needtannow View Post
Hi,

We are looking to buy a condo in Ft. Myers and I was wondering what the Cottonwood Bend area (near Palm Beach/Verandah) is like?

We are in the initial stage of looking and would like to try and narrow down our search area prior to contacting a realtor and arranging showings. This would be a vacation home for us (from Canada) and want to make sure we are in a relatively safe area within a gated community.

Thanks!

L
check out Paseo...many Ontarians such as myself buying

Paseo Ft. Myers

a little more money than Cottonwood, but worth it....they put us up no obligation for a couple of nights

Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatLuvr2 View Post
Cape Coral has little to offer. It's not oceanside, it's bayside, and the beaches are NOT close. Fort Myers beach sucks - it is not gorgeous, and the water is NOT aqua like everywhere else - it's brown, probably from the tannin in the tree roots. Add to this their little parking problem (there is literally NO parking to be heard of - it is all taken up by the beach eateries that want you to eat there and leave). Then you have Sanibel, a brown sand beach shelling beach, and Captiva - whiter sand, clearer water - yet these are hard to get to, and take a lot of travel time to even get to.
Add to this the unemployment rate - which topped 14% a couple weeks ago when we were there....and you know that this is just not a good place to live. I looked in the classifieds and saw FOUR jobs. Four! How do they expect you to pay for a house when you buy it?

Bottom line - this area is facing hard times. It is depressing, and when you're out in the streets you can feel the oppression. You can feel it in the air, you can see it on the poor inhabitant's faces. Any smart people, will run, not walk, as far from this place as you can. Investment opportunity? Well, maybe for the uber-rich that can afford the high-end homes and areas. As far as the rest of us go, there are far more desirable areas one can relocate to! I'm sorry if this is offensive to any Cape Coralites, but I came, and I saw it firsthand. This city is full of woe and sadness.
Great post. I thought the place was the pits before the bust. We left during the boom. It's always been a "low rent" area, and unfortunately, it looks like it is going to be much worse. People like you won't buy there.

By the way, the brown ocean is due to the runoff from the agriculture in the middle of the state. It flows down the Caloosahatchie and into the gulf.

Tropical paradise. Meh. I can go to Bermuda for that.

Great call. Run. Run far, far away.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:49 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,589 times
Hik, How did I know you were going to latch on to that post? I'm not saying that a lot of what she was saying is untrue. The low end properties now are all undesirable pieces of property. Fort myers beach.... Hardly beautiful but still a fun place to be. Sanibel brown sand??? maybe I go to a different beach than kitkat did. Where I disagree is the oppression on people's faces. I found most people to be very friendly with 2 exceptions- both were waitresses at resturaunts. Which I can't understand why managers would allow that. IMHO if you are in the service business and you can't greet the patrons with a big smile like they were a long lost friend every time , you shouldn't be in the industry. Anyway.... I was fishing off a bridge and the guy that lived on the corner came out and invited us in his yard said we could sit on his seawall under the shade of his palm trees because he knew it could be hot out there in the sun, and was pointing out to us were the good fish were... We also went to a Memorial/fundraiser/fishing derby/ cookout at the D&D marina along with about 200 other people that were almost all year round residents and they came together as a community to raise money for the trauma center for lee memorial.. they were some incredibly warm and friendly people there and what was a common theme was the fishing teams donating their winnings back to the cause. The sense of community was very moving.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:21 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Hik, How did I know you were going to latch on to that post? I'm not saying that a lot of what she was saying is untrue. The low end properties now are all undesirable pieces of property. Fort myers beach.... Hardly beautiful but still a fun place to be. Sanibel brown sand??? maybe I go to a different beach than kitkat did. Where I disagree is the oppression on people's faces. I found most people to be very friendly with 2 exceptions- both were waitresses at resturaunts. Which I can't understand why managers would allow that. IMHO if you are in the service business and you can't greet the patrons with a big smile like they were a long lost friend every time , you shouldn't be in the industry. Anyway.... I was fishing off a bridge and the guy that lived on the corner came out and invited us in his yard said we could sit on his seawall under the shade of his palm trees because he knew it could be hot out there in the sun, and was pointing out to us were the good fish were... We also went to a Memorial/fundraiser/fishing derby/ cookout at the D&D marina along with about 200 other people that were almost all year round residents and they came together as a community to raise money for the trauma center for lee memorial.. they were some incredibly warm and friendly people there and what was a common theme was the fishing teams donating their winnings back to the cause. The sense of community was very moving.
Difference b/w being on vacationing and fishing and having to waitress and kiss the rear end of tourists and retirees for a 5% tip to pay your rent

I waitressed through high school & college..it wasn't a choice...and I tell my children that they WILL do the same job...what you learn about yourself & others is amazing. I'm taking it you never have worked in the restaurant business? It's one of the hardest jobs.

The point is being on vacation with the biggest issue being where you are going to fish and figuring out how you are going to pay next month's rent and car payment.

Not justifying poor customer service, but cmon...

Your cracking me up with trying to make it sound like living on Sanibel is the norm with cookouts and fishing 24/7. It's not.

When I'm on vacation, life is about as good as it can get & I cannot pathom how someone could not be whistling while they work.....then I stop & realize "Oh, I'm on vacation...that's right!"

Report just came out on the bacteria count of Sanibel........

Old 08-01-2009, 11:19 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Link?

I agree about the waiting tables thing. It's one of three jobs EVERBODY in the U.S. ought to be required to do along with a year in the military, and tech support.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Difference b/w being on vacationing and fishing and having to waitress and kiss the rear end of tourists and retirees for a 5% tip to pay your rent

I waitressed through high school & college..it wasn't a choice...and I tell my children that they WILL do the same job...what you learn about yourself & others is amazing. I'm taking it you never have worked in the restaurant business? It's one of the hardest jobs.

The point is being on vacation with the biggest issue being where you are going to fish and figuring out how you are going to pay next month's rent and car payment.

Not justifying poor customer service, but cmon...

Your cracking me up with trying to make it sound like living on Sanibel is the norm with cookouts and fishing 24/7. It's not.

When I'm on vacation, life is about as good as it can get & I cannot pathom how someone could not be whistling while they work.....then I stop & realize "Oh, I'm on vacation...that's right!"

your post says it all... and I see why you only got 5% .... it's all you deserved. I'm not on vacation anymore.... so what did I do yesterday? I woke up went out on the boat from 11am to 6pm fished , swam, played in the water with my kids, then went to work ,in the resturaunt business , which i've been involved in one form or the other for 25 yrs).

Old 08-02-2009, 03:53 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times
Nice guy....... Such a gentleman!

Quote:
your post says it all... and I see why you only got 5% .... it's all you deserved. I'm not on vacation anymore.... so what did I do yesterday? I woke up went out on the boat from 11am to 6pm fished , swam, played in the water with my kids, then went to work ,in the resturaunt business , which i've been involved in one form or the other for 25 yrs).

Old 08-02-2009, 05:19 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
Default You know what?

Quote:
I would rather shovel the snow in my driveway, work a Mighnight shift in the middle of a northern winter, work til I'm 80, than do any of those things you seem to be bragging about.

We are not impressed.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times
I am for sure not impressed. Nothing like making yourself look conceited.

I prefer to wake up, go outside where it is low 70's, tinker with my truck, load it up with camping gear, go to Vermont, NH, or out in western MA. Drive off into the woods smell the fresh air, swim in a lake where the water is not 95 degrees, or worry about being eaten by a gator, go hiking, cook out, sit around the fire....

Winter... Go outside play in the snow with my daughter, throw a few snowballs, go inside, hot chocolate or coffee, watch a movie. Cross country ski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area