U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2014, 08:25 AM

116 posts, read 73,987 times
Default Cape Coral Fire Assessment

The bill for the Assessment has been mailed. I was on City of Cape Coral > Home site and noticed that you may pay your fire assessment tax on line. I went to the end to see how much ours was, as we haven't received it yet. They also say you have 30 days to pay(don't know what the penalty is if you don't). I did a search, but I must have missed the information, if its posted. Is this an annual fee?
This tax is being contested and will he ruled on by the Fl. Supreme Court, its approved by the City but still being contested. So if you pay it, and the City losses its argument in Court do they return your money? How long do you think that appeal process would run, if they lost.
Not trying to make this a political forum.....just had some questions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM

1,896 posts, read 2,236,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak Boater View Post
The bill for the Assessment has been mailed. I was on City of Cape Coral > Home site and noticed that you may pay your fire assessment tax on line. I went to the end to see how much ours was, as we haven't received it yet. They also say you have 30 days to pay(don't know what the penalty is if you don't). I did a search, but I must have missed the information, if its posted. Is this an annual fee?
This tax is being contested and will he ruled on by the Fl. Supreme Court, its approved by the City but still being contested. So if you pay it, and the City losses its argument in Court do they return your money? How long do you think that appeal process would run, if they lost.
Not trying to make this a political forum.....just had some questions.

I received mine for $62 for my vacant lots , I have not received for my house. I do think it is kinda funny that I have absolutely nothing on my vacant lot so Don't know why I would need fire assessment. I pay the city to keep it mowed so very little chance of a brush fire that couldn't be put out with a bucket of water. just another example of how the people who have no voice in local govt get stuck with the bill.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 AM

134 posts, read 207,333 times
$98.94 bill for our place in the NW.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 PM

508 posts, read 530,320 times
$106.20 for my place. Yes they will refund it if they lose on appeal. In fact they say it will cost the tax payer 140,000 to refund this corrupt tax if they loose on appeal. If they loose it should come out of there pockets instead of the tax payers pocket. What good is a cap on my taxes if they go around the system by adding taxes to my electric bill and now junk assessments.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 AM

9,573 posts, read 2,825,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I received mine for $62 for my vacant lots , I have not received for my house. I do think it is kinda funny that I have absolutely nothing on my vacant lot so Don't know why I would need fire assessment. I pay the city to keep it mowed so very little chance of a brush fire that couldn't be put out with a bucket of water. just another example of how the people who have no voice in local govt get stuck with the bill.
I just got my bill too. Can't understand how I need fire insurance on a vacant lot with no trees.

This is just another way for Cape Coral to pick our pockets. I can't even park a car on my vacant lot I own that is behind my home or I will get a summons . I was threatened of having my suv towed away if I park it on my lot . Cape Coral is becoming the gestapo who rob everyone of their rights and their money.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 PM

145 posts, read 214,307 times
I got mine for my home in the SW, $140.00. Not happy about it. In the 3yrs I've own a home here I'm seeing my taxes steadily rise. You would think with the real estate market picking up; taxes would stabilize.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:56 AM

35 posts, read 18,645 times
We need to elect officals that will spend the money wisely and not tax us to death. Simply put your vote counts on who is put into office running this city. this and attendance to the City/townhall public meetings making your voice heard is another way to change the mentality of the city council. By the way my bill was $98.94 and I've owned this house less than a year. ;(

Old 03-23-2014, 08:35 AM

1,896 posts, read 2,236,218 times
I think it was said before this group was elected that they were very Union friendly and the last group was always at odds with the police and fire unions. The problem is the Police, Fire, city workers, teachers and their friends and families all vote in large numbers. good luck getting a pro union council out.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 PM

508 posts, read 530,320 times
This town will just keep jacking taxes up in till everyone starts to stop paying them. Because they can't afford them. Then maybe they will be forced to file bankruptcy and bust up this union high cost to the tax payer. These groups are going to be in for a rude surprise when they go to retire and there is no money to pay them.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:59 PM

9,573 posts, read 2,825,754 times
If the Cape wins the case and it stands as legal this fire tax, then we are opened to all kind of taxes including police protection, parks, roads and anything else they can think of in their ivory towers to impose on the people.

We are very vulnerable to those who think the people can afford big government taxing and of course there is plenty of waste. Government keeps growing and the peoples' paychecks of what they keep continues to shrink. Less buying power to keep the economy strong.

Problem with government , they don't have a bottom line. They can just tax the people more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area