Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 06:37 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdaddy204 View Post
I'm sorry, but tell me again why they need a contract? Every other person I know does not have a contract but is hired as an at will employee. Only people with Contracts are union employees and look what that has done to Detroit. Let them quit through attrition, if they don'[t want to work here then they can go somewhere else. I too took a pay cut earlier than then, hell everyone did, I also pay at least 10% of my salary into medical and pension plan. I agree with a 401K that your family gets rather than paying into a pension that the Union gets after you die. I wouldn't stay in a job that didn't pay me what I expected to earn. I would look elsewhere and have and found a better job. If they are too stupid to do that then maybe we should fire them.

The city does not expect to attract the best and the brightest they need, only reasonable persons to do the job correctly at the pay they are paying. That is sensible.
Most law enforcement and emergency personnel have collective bargaining contracts and police/fire unions. That's the way it's done. Those "benefits" are to attract not only the best and brightest, but people who are putting their lives on the line. Cops are not my most favorite people, even with my sister being one, but it is a dangerous job and should be compensated as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:53 AM

20 posts, read 56,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
Most law enforcement and emergency personnel have collective bargaining contracts and police/fire unions. That's the way it's done. Those "benefits" are to attract not only the best and brightest, but people who are putting their lives on the line. Cops are not my most favorite people, even with my sister being one, but it is a dangerous job and should be compensated as such.

We have plenty of people more than able to serve as a police officer. And just because the people currently employed have the job does not mean they're the best. They are not Navy SEALs or Army Rangers (they may be former military but I doubt Spec Ops), and they're not Jesus Christ or the virgin Mary. They're not Steve Jobs or Elvis Presley. These people can be replaced. Last time I checked the Cape cops get paid $19/hr plus benefits. So that's about $35,000-$40,000 salary depending upon the hours worked. With that money they should be able to buy a house and raise a family if they can actually manage their money.

But I'm sure if you ask those cops they would say:
If you don't pay us what us what we want Cape Coral citizens will be murdered raped, robbed, and homes will be burglarized. If you don't pay us then Cape Coral will turn into Sodom and Gomorrah.
This is nothing but a stick up:
GIVE US THE MONEY OR WILL QUIT BECAUSE YOU NEED US!!!

I'd say no there are other people who can do their jobs. Let them catch the Blue Flu. They should be fired and the city should hire. Let's open up Pandora's box.

Here's a song for some of our Police Officers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EwViQxSJJQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area