Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 08:53 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Wow man, Orlando, Cape Coral, and Palm Bay (well that's all I have counted). Three of Florida's worst . I don't think Cape Coral is THAT bad but your side of the state has some really rude people. And I'm not one that complains about rude people everywhere. And the unemployment rate over there is rivaling Michigan.
I also lived in Lake Wales(boondocks), Bradenton, Rockledge, Melbourne, Vero Beach, and crappy Naples. I'm in apartment management, lots of moving around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 AM

25 posts, read 142,260 times
The thing with the Cape is it is a suburb. If that is your thing, then this is a peachy place to live. Also, the medium age has to be up there (or at least it swings up in the winter with the blue hairs). IMHO the pros and cons:

Pros:
Cheap place to live for the weather and crime levels
Plethora of canals if you are into boating and water access
Opportunity for service businesses to seniors and snow birds
Opportunity for elderly to make friends due to the influx of seniors
Cons:
Lack of vegetation makes it look like the Serengeti
Younger crowd has a hard time find like individuals to socialize with unless they either have kids, or are bar hounds.
Lots of rules
Lack of higher end jobs unless you are a realtor (and those are lacking now)
Little in the way of manufacturing
Not very environmentally sensitive

In short, I am going to get out of the Cape at first opp... either to the McGregor corridor into an older house or out to Pine Island Center into a newer house.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:20 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Got your panties in a wad there, NY?
If you open your eyes, you may see, but to be fair, I'm a little west of Coronado, But I did live on Vincennes for a while, when the whole area was still pretty decent, even by my standards

I've already covered my reasons for not involving the CCPD in my life, in earlier posts...a waste of time.

Show me where I said that CC schools were the "only ones with problems", the point was, that those problems DO exist here, contrary to what some others would have you believe. It sounds as if you agree with me there. So take a chill pill when your snorting them roses tomorrow morning, and take a GOOOOD look around you.

Edit, Yes, I'm full of S#!^, but I do know the difference between s#!^ and shinola do you?
I have quite a few friends in the SE section and I live in the SW and have never encountered the problems that you see. Are you sure you live in the same town?

Old 04-24-2008, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 14,019 times
Default Tdoll

Suncoast:
I moved from NY to Cape Coral 4 years ago and built a home here.
Dont believe the last person, you havent seen crime until you live in NY
Theres crime problems everywhere and it always rises in a new area.
The only complaint I have about living here iin Cape Coral s that the job market is horrible.
Since the housing market crashed 3 years ago and we entered this crummy economy the jobs are far and few in between, plus the hourly wage is ridiculous.
As a home owner, it has now become as expensive to live in Cape Coral as it was to live in Ny, rising taxes , gasolie and the cost of living.
Our town officials keep hitting the homeowners with all the costs so they can make the road improvements they need to because of the growth here.
I have been unemployed since March, Im a college graduate and I am probably filling out 50 applications a day.
I went to the job expo last week and a Representative there told me they get an average of 30 applications a hour. Yikes!!!
Im really worried that this nice town is going to become a ghost town if things dont change

Old 04-24-2008, 04:02 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaboomartin View Post
Suncoast:
I moved from NY to Cape Coral 4 years ago and built a home here.
Dont believe the last person, you havent seen crime until you live in NY
Theres crime problems everywhere and it always rises in a new area.
The only complaint I have about living here iin Cape Coral s that the job market is horrible.
Since the housing market crashed 3 years ago and we entered this crummy economy the jobs are far and few in between, plus the hourly wage is ridiculous.
As a home owner, it has now become as expensive to live in Cape Coral as it was to live in Ny, rising taxes , gasolie and the cost of living.
Our town officials keep hitting the homeowners with all the costs so they can make the road improvements they need to because of the growth here.
I have been unemployed since March, Im a college graduate and I am probably filling out 50 applications a day.
I went to the job expo last week and a Representative there told me they get an average of 30 applications a hour. Yikes!!!
Im really worried that this nice town is going to become a ghost town if things dont change
Dont worry that your cost of living has gone up because if you stayed here it went up also. The one thing you dont have is heating oil, like we have up here
that went up with the gas prices , last oil delivery 3.89 a gallon , everyone I know had trouble this winter, gas is hitting 3.80 to 4.oo a gallon, the economy is hitting a wall so dont fret , things got way more expensive here. Also you should be used to town officials ripping you off if you lived in NY , I think they started the blueprint on how to screw the people.LOL All in all hang in there things will turn, they always do. People are trying to leave here in numbers and are heading to florida and the carolinas, when it breaks and people start buying homes and fuel prices come down , the economy will get back on track. Also what type of work are you applying for ? my sons fiancee has quit three jobs in a year since being down there , and always had a new one the next day. In times like this we all should take what we can get for now , because something is way better then nothing. unless you can afford it. And no they were not mcdonalds and sonics LOL. please dont take that the wrong way just trying to help.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
All of those people are moving out of LI? Stellar! I'll move right in!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
All of those people are moving out of LI? Stellar! I'll move right in!
Go ahead whats wrong with Tennessee ? If you have 400k with minimum 7k taxes for a small 3 bedroom ranch have a ball. anything less is in a crap area.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
think about this , the whole country is in a recession with inflation compounding the situation, odd huh? For all of you thinking that rising crime and unemployment is restricted to sw florida, think again. I have said it before, think about this now,our riseing fuel oil prices are crippleing the country,and untill that gets straightened out we will have problems.
I'm baaaaaaaack,

I dont think anyone is arguing with you about that. But what does all of this general overview have to do SPECIFICALLY with Cape Coral? Of course the economy is bad everywhere, fuel prices are high everywhere, unemployment is a problem almost everywhere. So we can all hold hands around the campfire, and sing coom-by-ya(sp?) on that one.

But, I reiterate, it has nothing to do with a specifically Cape oriented discussion. I have given examples, pertinent to Cape Coral, not a general treatise on the state of socio-economics across the nation....

Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
we have all the same issues here on LI but I have lived here my whole life so I dont see the crime getting worse and I feel safe. There are some people that see anything on the news and harp on it till the cows come home, they are the same ones that talk about how mildred and sam just found out they have cancer, They just harp on the negative all the time. These type people are just not happy, If they sell their homes and move anywhere they will find something to complain about. There are bad people in this world and there are stupid kids. A 10 year old rolling a tire down the street is not a bad person, sorry. Some people should wake up and see the sunrise and thank god they got to see another one, not complain about it. Every day we wake up is a good day. Take care all
Hmmm, interesting you dont see the crime getting any worse in LI, how could we expect you to see it getting worse in Cape Coral?

Well, I dont know about harping, but there is a TOPIC of discussion here isnt there?

Because someone tries to adhere to the topic of the thread, you would characterize them as negative, unhappy people that would complain about something wherever they live...perhaps the last part about the complaining is correct. Just this morning, I was telling my gardener how my roses dont smell as good as they used too.

I see a stupid kid as a symptom of a bigger problem, and the possibilities are......1) the stupid kid is a product of equally stupid parents, or 2) the stupid kid is a product of parents that are stressed beyond the limits, trying to hold down 2-3 jobs, cope with the rising costs associated with living in Cape Coral, while their wages stay the same or decline, keep everyone fed, and the wolf off the door. They simply dont have enuf hours in the day, to properly supervise the successful tutiledge of their children. Either way, it's not a cheery scenario. But what do I know? I'm an unhappy, negative person.

I agree, any day we can meet the sun one more time, is a miracle, to which we owe praise and thanks to our creator.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I live on SW 1st Ave though Near Albertsons on CC Pkwy, off of Santa barbara. I don't think he was arrested near me.
Did you ever find out what happened in your neighborhood? Not being sarcastic, just wondering if this could be a good example of my remarks regarding the "chamber of commerce". We heard about the murder arrest, which could be spun as a positive,(they caught the bad guy, hooray!!) but was the grow house, drug bust, whatever it was in your neighborhood able to be swept under the rug by the local media?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area