Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,479,113 times

Advertisements

I am one of the ones who moved out of Cape Coral to another state. I liked it ok there, but glad we left. We are coming again for another visit around Thanksgiving. I think that one day the Cape may be really nice, but we were not going to wait around for that. I hope things improve for y'all over there! Yes, I am in Louisiana now where y'all is the norm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 04:29 AM

917 posts, read 2,603,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
our neighbor in punta gorda use to come home every night & take off his magnetic ad on his truck. It seemed so beyond silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
we lived for 5 years in killeen, tx (fort hood),about 40 miles north of austin.
I don't do well with homes that are on top of each other. I really don't need to see my neighbors 24/7
If your saying that it seemed silly because his truck was still obviously commercial without the signage, than yes I guess you have a point, but if the only thing commercial looking about the vehicle was the signs, then I don't think it's silly at all.

I used to drive a company van, complete with ladder racks and painted on signage. I was already living in Cape Coral when I got the promotion that allowed me to bring the van home. I knew the law in the Cape, but also knew that there were a couple of other commercial vehicles on my street. I priced out getting blank magnetic signs to cover the signage. (the van was white) they weren't cheap, and I don't think that I could have gotten my employer to pay for them. I got lucky, nobody ever turned me in. My neighbor across the street with an alarm business had to get huge blank magnetic sighs to cover the graphics on the side of his van after someone complained to the city.

Shortly after I moved to Punta Gorda I started a new job. This time I had a van just like the last one, but now I was required to have three ladders up on the rack 24/7. I don't know what the law is here, but the van wasn't very attractive sitting in front of the house, luckily nobody ever turned me in.

With all that said, and knowing that I will always be driving some sort of commercial vehicle myself, I'm all for any law that keeps commercial looking vehicles out of residential neighborhoods.

When homes are on top of each other, that's when I think zoning of neighborhoods becomes so important.If you want to see lax zoning enforcement, just take a drive through Port Charlotte. I think a lot of the things I find distasteful about the town can be attributed to lack of zoning, or enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinmama View Post
umm, yes you can park a truck in front of your house. I have two parked in front of mine right now.
In section 3.12 of city ordinance 119-07, it says you can't park any motor vehicle on a public street in a single-family residential district. Your also not allowed to park commercial vehicles on the property in plain view. If I'm reading it correctly, signage that doesn't include the address of the residence is allowed on passenger cars and sports utility vehicles.
Quote:
no idea what the logic is. It's the same here for cars that advertise businesses - we own a small business and we have to cover or remove our advertisements every day. We've switched to magnetic advertisements so we can take them off every day.
Quote:
same thing.
Even still, i think it is silly that i have to remove our ads from three vehicles daily.
bakinmama, If you have three trucks or cars with signage parked in front of your house, aren't you clearly running a business out of your home in a residential neighborhood? Isn't that one of the primary reasons we have zoning laws in the first place? Should my property value decrease just because you want to advertise? Of course I have no idea what kind of business your running, or how low profile you might be. I'm just saying.

Here's Cape Coral ordinance 119-07 regarding parking of commercial vehicles in residential areas. I don't know if it's the most recent, but it spells things out pretty clearly as to what's considered commercial and what's not:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cape coral ordinance 119-07.pdf (278.3 KB, 1166 views)

Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,477,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
If your saying that it seemed silly because his truck was still obviously commercial without the signage, than yes I guess you have a point, but if the only thing commercial looking about the vehicle was the signs, then I don't think it's silly at all.

I used to drive a company van, complete with ladder racks and painted on signage. I was already living in Cape Coral when I got the promotion that allowed me to bring the van home. I knew the law in the Cape, but also knew that there were a couple of other commercial vehicles on my street. I priced out getting blank magnetic signs to cover the signage. (the van was white) they weren't cheap, and I don't think that I could have gotten my employer to pay for them. I got lucky, nobody ever turned me in. My neighbor across the street with an alarm business had to get huge blank magnetic sighs to cover the graphics on the side of his van after someone complained to the city.

Shortly after I moved to Punta Gorda I started a new job. This time I had a van just like the last one, but now I was required to have three ladders up on the rack 24/7. I don't know what the law is here, but the van wasn't very attractive sitting in front of the house, luckily nobody ever turned me in.

With all that said, and knowing that I will always be driving some sort of commercial vehicle myself, I'm all for any law that keeps commercial looking vehicles out of residential neighborhoods.

When homes are on top of each other, that's when I think zoning of neighborhoods becomes so important.If you want to see lax zoning enforcement, just take a drive through Port Charlotte. I think a lot of the things I find distasteful about the town can be attributed to lack of zoning, or enforcement.

In section 3.12 of city ordinance 119-07, it says you can't park any motor vehicle on a public street in a single-family residential district. Your also not allowed to park commercial vehicles on the property in plain view. If I'm reading it correctly, signage that doesn't include the address of the residence is allowed on passenger cars and sports utility vehicles.

bakinmama, If you have three trucks or cars with signage parked in front of your house, aren't you clearly running a business out of your home in a residential neighborhood? Isn't that one of the primary reasons we have zoning laws in the first place? Should my property value decrease just because you want to advertise? Of course I have no idea what kind of business your running, or how low profile you might be. I'm just saying.

Here's Cape Coral ordinance 119-07 regarding parking of commercial vehicles in residential areas. I don't know if it's the most recent, but it spells things out pretty clearly as to what's considered commercial and what's not:
I think it is absolutely ridiculous.

In this economy, there are going to be laws based on "curb appeal". Someone gets a job and drives the company truck. It's a job. It's bringing in income for their family. And the city is going to have a law about it?

A truck with ladders on it & advertisements doesn't keep life from going on....

And if a person is SO against it b/c they don't like "looking" at it when they drink their coffeee...

Good lord,there are far more important & valuable things that need to be fixed in SWFL other than parking the company truck in the driveway overnight.

As for advertising from your drive...great...I see it all the time where I live. And when we get the funds for doing the exterior of our home (new concrete (probably never going to happen ), siding & windows....I am going to first start with the individual business owners I've seen around my neighborhood BECAUSE I see the truck in their drive, etc.

As for the homes on top of each, reason number #45,345,387, 321 that I am SO glad we never bought in Punta Gorda! There was some Adams development near the new WalMart that was stupid on top of each other; you could barely navigate the street as even the street was made was narrow as possible. It was such an ugly development yet so typical of SWFL.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM

206 posts, read 446,809 times
Zoning laws are usually an attempt to help the asthetics of a neighborhood, which is usually very important to people. You have to draw the line somewhere.

However, Cape Coral currently doesn't seem to give a hoot about what the place looks like. Bury power lines for cryin out loud. they are hideous looking and when they're buried they're not suseptible to storms.

Encourage people to plant trees, not discourage it. Again, underground utilities would help that situation.

The city is using money to put in sidewalks which is nice, but only benefits a few homeowners. Use some of the money to plant trees in the medians of the larger avenues.

Make Cape coral a city people want to live in. Cape Coral is just so out of touch with what will help this community grow in a good way.

They seem bent on thinking it will become some booming commercial hub. It will not. It's future is with tourism and retirees. It's location dictates that.

Cape Coral could be a beautiful city if there were any effort and importance put on it.

They had some good ideas, but I guess new people are at the helm and their ideas are completely backward.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:56 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,690,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
Zoning laws are usually an attempt to help the asthetics of a neighborhood, which is usually very important to people. You have to draw the line somewhere.

I agree with you there, but some of the "ordinances" are a bit "draconian"

However, Cape Coral currently doesn't seem to give a hoot about what the place looks like. Bury power lines for cryin out loud. they are hideous looking and when they're buried they're not suseptible to storms.

I see "code enforcement" almost every day going down the road. I'm sure they're writing citations every day as well. The reason the utilities are not buried is because Cape Coral averages about 5 feet above sea level. Burying electrical transmission lines in salt water creates some interesting reliability issues with the grid, I would imagine. I'm sure it could be done, but the cost?

Encourage people to plant trees, not discourage it. Again, underground utilities would help that situation.

I dont think they are discouraging anyone from planting trees, however until about six years or so ago, there were alot of citrus trees in the yards of the city. A citrus canker outbreak(real or imagined) gave the local gubmints carte blanche to eradicate alot of very expensive trees that were not infected, just because they were within 1/4 mile of one that was. I think that has discouraged many from spending on certain landscaping ventures within the city.

The city is using money to put in sidewalks which is nice, but only benefits a few homeowners. Use some of the money to plant trees in the medians of the larger avenues.

They've been planting trees in medians for years. You think it looks barren now? you should have seen it in 1991........

Make Cape coral a city people want to live in. Cape Coral is just so out of touch with what will help this community grow in a good way.

They seem bent on thinking it will become some booming commercial hub. It will not. It's future is with tourism and retirees. It's location dictates that.

Cape Coral could be a beautiful city if there were any effort and importance put on it.

They had some good ideas, but I guess new people are at the helm and their ideas are completely backward.

Economic realities dictate that Cape Coral will revert to what it originally was. A retiree haven, with basic services, and health care as the main industries. It will be a very, very long time before it ever has a chance at "greatness" again. Cape Coral is a "has been".

Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 PM

I appreciate your comments yachtcare.

I'm buying a house in an area that has the worse rating as far as flooding goes and the utilities are underground.

I guess it's just to expensive to bury them everywhere. I wonder if it's worth the cost though to protect them from wind and storm damage.

It just makes such a big difference not to have them.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:12 PM

40 posts, read 111,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigdank View Post
ok let me clear things up about cape coral. this place use to be great. i have lived here for 20 years. right around 2004 it started to go dwon hill, and now it has went down to far to ever go back up. its a very unsafe place to live. hispanic people have taken this place over and they know it. it use to be full of old folks and hard working young families. now its all criminals. everywhere you go there is some thug trying to stare you down. alot of blacks live here now as well. even the whire kids think they are gangsters and will try to mess with you. i carry my gun everywhere i go. like i said cape coral is a dump. beware!
wow you must be joking cape coral is one of the most safest places in florida its all white and old folk chillen here but there are some black and hispanics that come from Ft.myers and Miami but nobody here messes with you its very quiet i ever rarely hear the police if i do its something stupid. the only people ive seen with guns here are the ones from Miami cape coral is soooo boring nothing at all here for anyone and all the roads are f-ed up barely any houses here the only reason i moved here from miami its because its waaaat safer and houses were cheaper back then.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,837,064 times
it may be safer than north havana, but it isn't exactly a "safe place" to live lol

the cops are on a nazi-power trip
the zoning laws and parking laws are FREAKING ricockulous to boot

Old 10-31-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
it may be safer than north havana, but it isn't exactly a "safe place" to live lol

the cops are on a nazi-power trip
the zoning laws and parking laws are FREAKING ricockulous to boot
I just don't get it. What is so unsafe about Cape Coral?

Can you give me some details of incidents of violence that have occurred recently?

I hear a lot of comments about how bad it is. Can I have some facts?

Over zealous police and parking rules don't count as violence.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:27 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,837,064 times
i'm saying it is no safer than any other place, simply because of it's location
the poster said that it is way safer than miami, i have a good friend that grew up in miami, never had any crime issues, he's had one car stolen and been broken into here twice...
crime happens everywhere, and cape coral is no exception, and certainly isn't a fairy-tale world of happiness

here, check it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area