Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 06:09 AM

374 posts, read 795,803 times

Advertisements

I will be heading down to Ft Myers in a week. We will be driving our truck with a truck camper in the bed. Of course we will be staying at campgrounds, but since this is my only vehicle, the camper comes with us everywhere we go. Now mind you this is not a pull camper, so it actually just makes the truck " oversized". Is there any parking lots that will allow an oversized vehicle on San Carlos? What about Sanibel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:16 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,137 times
I've seen truck camper parked on occasion in lots at the beaches. I don't believe they are specifically excluded/prohibited anywhere. Common sense dictates that you cant obstruct traffic flow within the parking area. Different factors play into it of course.

Single cab, extended cab, or crew cab kinda determines overall length of your truck, SRW, or DRW, the width.

Your experience level with your rig, how well do you handle getting into, and out of tight spots.

The parking lot at the lighthouse beach on the east end of Sanibel is pretty tight, but I'm certain I could get my crew cab dually nose into one of the diagonal spots.(I have before, but w/o the camper) Make sure you have a spotter for backing out. When I take my slide in rig out to Sanibel I typically find a spot on the causeway(Sanibel causeway park). You cannot spend the night out there, but during the daylight hours you can park right on the beach there. It's Class C and truck camper perfection, for a nice day. Get there early to get the best spots. Easy to get in and out of when it comes to maneuvering.

In Cape Coral, at the end of Beach Parkway, there is a large park where you can park at the river front for the day as well. And at the Yacht Club beach there is nice paved parking areas with a short walk to the beach, marina, river front restaurant(The Boathouse).

When you mention San Carlos, I'll assume you mean Fort Myers Beach (San Carlos Isl) Lots of different parking lots along the main strip where you pay by the day for parking. They'll find a spot for you to park, but keep in mind they pack 'em in like sardines. When you want to leave you may be presented with challenges getting your rig out of there.

Hope this helps.

CN.......

P.S./There are campgrounds on both FMB, and Sanibel. Pricey, I've heard they're nice, never stayed at either however.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:23 PM

thanks so much for the info... Mine is an extended crew cab dually with a 11.6 (huge) Amerigo on the back. I think I will stick the Sanibels Islets on the causeway and use the electric bikes to get back and forth from Sanibel.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:35 PM

515 posts, read 1,589,651 times
Red Coconut campground on Ft Myers Beach, really nice, google and call them.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:07 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,891,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
Red Coconut campground on Ft Myers Beach, really nice, google and call them.
In case you are curious, it is named Red Coconut because in the 1950's they used to have coconuts painted red on top of the fence that separates the campground from Estero Blvd.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,589,651 times
I guess I should have mentioned that most likely there will not be any spots at the Red Coconut due to the snowbird migration is in town. But call them and maybe they can point you in the right direction. I also have a slide in truck camper for my 4 door 2500 GMC. You do not see many of these down here, very rare. I've stopped at many camper retailers when i was looking 2 years ago, no one sells them here.

Last edited by tjstrain; 02-25-2015 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-25-2015, 03:04 PM

Nice camper. Here is mine.
[IMG][/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area